Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.johnlayfieldshow.com/how-to-be-a-bad-guy-in-pro-wrestling.blog&Sort=Date

Great article by one of the greatest heels in Wrestling history. Talks about the differences of heat you can get as a heel and what it takes to truely be hated. JBL is well known as a guy who everybody loved to hate and this article shows exactly why. He not only had it naturally when he got on the screen but has knowledgeable thoughts and considerations when reviewing heel work in general. Excellent article and I thought everybody should check it out~.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Nice read. I love how JBL tried to even work "smarts". Though he realizes that those with insider knowledge will never buy into kayfabe.

·
What?
13,511 Posts
Out of all the people who have left the WWE or retired since Cena got his first world championship, I honestly miss JBL the most. The man just had a gift.

A gift of being able to make himself hated wherever he went.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Great read! Something like this should be required reading for WWE Superstars and Divas. I love the "I wanted to have NO redeeming qualities" part; I feel that too many heels today give us something good about them to latch on to.

·
Asuka
96,224 Posts
Great read, he's a genius heel.

But I still get pissed off whenever guys like him and Jericho say they refused to allow themselves to have merchandise. That's just taking it WAY too seriously, and frankly I consider it a slap in the face to people like me who would've bought it in a second. I really have no idea why WWE listens to people like that, anything that can make them more money should be put into production.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

But I still get pissed off whenever guys like him and Jericho say they refused to allow themselves to have merchandise. That's just taking it WAY too seriously, and frankly I consider it a slap in the face to people like me who would've bought it in a second. I really have no idea why WWE listens to people like that, anything that can make them more money should be put into production.
I like it. If EVERYONE is supposed to hate you, why in the world would you want merchandise? Having merchandise assumes you would have fans who would want to buy it. JBL believes that a top-tier heel shouldn't make such assumptions and in fact should be actively discouraging a fandom from forming around them. Make merchandise for the babyfaces that you are elevating using these through and through heels.

·
Asuka
96,224 Posts
I like it. If EVERYONE is supposed to hate you, why in the world would you want merchandise? Having merchandise assumes you would have fans who would want to buy it. JBL believes that a top-tier heel shouldn't make such assumptions and in fact should be actively discouraging a fandom from forming around them. Make merchandise for the babyfaces that you are elevating using these through and through heels.
That type of old school mentality is outdated. It doesn't work anymore, kayfabe is pretty much dead anyway and he even said in the same article that there's fans who won't buy into being worked like that for very long. You're never gonna get EVERYONE hating you, so there's no point in going this far. I like what he says in the general sense but he's wrong about that.

And besides, this is BUSINESS. Boos will not draw money, merchandise will. Anything that can get you more MONEY should be put into production. How much money do you think WCW would've lost if they refused to make nWo merchandise? A god damn lot, I'll tell you that shit. This goes for Vince McMahon, Dixie Carter and any other wrestling promoter - Your number TWO objective as a wrestling promotion is to get your faces cheered and your heels booed. Your number ONE objective is to turn as much profit as you possibly can. Make NO mistake about that. This is why Vince McMahon ignores John Cena getting booed, because he makes money.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That type of old school mentality is outdated. It doesn't work anymore, kayfabe is pretty much dead anyway and he even said in the same article that there's fans who won't buy into being worked like that for very long. You're never gonna get EVERYONE hating you, so there's no point in going this far. I like what he says in the general sense but he's wrong about that.

And besides, this is BUSINESS. Boos will not draw money, merchandise will. Anything that can get you more MONEY should be put into production. How much money do you think WCW would've lost if they refused to make nWo merchandise? A god damn lot, I'll tell you that shit. This goes for Vince McMahon, Dixie Carter and any other wrestling promoter - Your number TWO objective as a wrestling promotion is to get your faces cheered and your heels booed. Your number ONE objective is to turn as much profit as you possibly can. Make NO mistake about that. This is why Vince McMahon ignores John Cena getting booed, because he makes money.
I understand what you are saying, and I don't think any major promotion will ever make such a rule for all of their heels. However, I like it because it shows that you are dedicated to the CRAFT. Guys like Jericho and JBL missed out on a good hunk of change I'm sure, but they wanted to stay true to the art. I think every wrestling federation needs a few heels like this.

From another standpoint, having merchandise and stuff makes it harder for you to be booed. A bandwagon effect starts--if these people are wearing this heel's gear, then there must be something redeeming/likable about him. It can make your job of being the asshole that much harder.

·
women sense my power and they seek the life essenc
11,657 Posts

The nWo were pretty bad heels though. I'd argue Hogan and Savage were the only ones that was actually an effective heel. Everyone else was playing for pops like JBL said in this article.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts

Because they ultimately want you to buy the PPV where the top face beats this really bad guy.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts