Wrestling Forum banner

JB talks about TNA, Ross and Heyman

4246 Views 35 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Bright-Raven
The Sun has a interview online with Jeremy Borash, here are a few quotes:

On Jim Ross: "To me, he is the greatest of all time. If you can hear a guy that can bring excitement to a call, adds to the attraction rather than subtracts. "I think he is not given any sort of respect up there (in WWE). At least the respect he deserves. As an announcer, I'm personally offended by it. To me he is the greatest of all time and deserves to be treated that way. If we are going to treat Ric Flair like we treat Ric Flair because he's the greatest of all time then we should do it for Jim Ross too, because to me there has been no-one better. I hear stories about what's going on. Nightmares. To me as an announcer, that pisses me off. Big time."

Paul Heyman: "When Paul was calling the shots (in ECW) and Paul had everything under control he aged himself about 30 years in the span of five, but he also could do things the way he wanted, and lived by his own rules. Unfortunately today that is impossible. You can't use copywritten music on your television show and get away with any more. You wouldn't see November Rain, great video as it was. You'd be sued and it would never make the air. Believe me, if we didn't have a bank of lawyers and a corporate office to answer to, I'd be running the show just the same way. Renegade, on the fly, go by your own whims. That's how Paul succeeded, when can call the shots and make his own decisions. Now, on the flip side, you don't want him handling your money. His place to shine is creative. In this day and age we have people who handle the money and people who handle the creative. For Paul coming in, if there was ever a political situation where it would have worked, this would have been it. But he has a reputation to protect and I don't think he'd doing anything going in thinking there's a chance he wouldn't succeed. I think in his life he's pretty content where he's at. I would have loved to have been part of a Paul Heyman era in TNA. Maybe someday it will happen."

I think JB nailed it when he said Heyman should call the shots in creative but not handling the money. I still believe neither PH or JR want anything to do with TNA, but if (probably dixie) could negotiate with these man and really gave them a pretty good deal, i could see heyman taking care of creative with JR by his side. I wouldn't send Bischoff out, he can work in production.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
4,034 Posts
good read. Unlike Cornette/Bishoff and many others, he's pretty polite (Don' respond to this with that fake twitter story).

· Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for posting. JB is the best backstage interviewer in the business right now. He's on the money with everything. TNA is lucky to have him. I couldn't imagine TNA without him. Hope he's around for a long time.

· Premium Member
46,612 Posts
He's pretty much dead on here. I liked the point he made about Heyman's original approach to running ECW basically being impossible nowadays, at least on a mainstream level. But yeah, I would definitely trust Heyman more as booker than I would as handler of the dough. But I'd also trust him at writing the show over Russo, Bischoff, Cornette, & WWE creative, for sure.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts
JAYBEEINTHABACK said:
You can't use copywritten music on your television show and get away with any more. You wouldn't see November Rain, great video as it was. You'd be sued and it would never make the air.
I'm sure that Heyman would get underground bands and give TNA a far more contemporary feel. In fact anyone with sense would strangle Dale Oliver, then do that.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
ya pretty much dead on with that i think. heyman as booker and focusing on creative would be a fantastic add imo. focusing on just one aspect of the wrestling show should be a lot easier on him too for the long haul. i do hope we get the heyman era eventually but only time will tell. i think he is probably the best booker and the most creative writer in wrestling. he is the one guy i would trust to run a wrestling program and not fail as far as the old guard goes.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
I am long waiting for a show similar to the formatting of Hardcore TV but as JB says it will be hard to replicate because of the music and mainstream TV wouldn't want a format like that (advertising). I still think they can incorporate some aspects of that programming in wrestling today, like the Pulp Fiction promos where a number of wrestlers get over in 5-10 minutes

And completely agree with Heyman only being in charge of the wrestling portion of the company

· Registered
2,419 Posts
On Jim Ross: "To me, he is the greatest of all time. If you can hear a guy that can bring excitement to a call, adds to the attraction rather than subtracts. "I think he is not given any sort of respect up there (in WWE). At least the respect he deserves. As an announcer, I'm personally offended by it. To me he is the greatest of all time and deserves to be treated that way. If we are going to treat Ric Flair like we treat Ric Flair because he's the greatest of all time then we should do it for Jim Ross too, because to me there has been no-one better. I hear stories about what's going on. Nightmares. To me as an announcer, that pisses me off. Big time."
Can someone explain to me what he is talking about here. When was JR disrespected?

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Can someone explain to me what he is talking about here. When was JR disrespected?
JR's ass operation? That's just one example.

· Registered
2,419 Posts
LoL, is that a serious question? Really?

JR's been getting regularly embarassed on WWE/WWF TV for the last 15+ years.
No one put a gun to JR's head and forced him to do all those angles. If it bothered him so much I am sure he would have left the company a long time ago. I just find it funny that it bothers Borash so much. JR is always put over on WWE programs, is a hall of famer, and always talked about with respect nowadays. He chose to appear in degrading angles. It was stupid of WWE to even come up with those tasteless ideas, but saying the company disrespected him is just plain ridiculous.

· Registered
455 Posts
No one put a gun to JR's head and forced him to do all those angles. If it bothered him so much I am sure he would have left the company a long time ago. I just find it funny that it bothers Borash so much. JR is always put over on WWE programs, is a hall of famer, and always talked about with respect nowadays. He chose to appear in degrading angles. It was stupid of WWE to even come up with those tasteless ideas, but saying the company disrespected him is just plain ridiculous.
Firing him on numerous occasions, including on-air, I guess doesn't count. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Neither does removing him from the head announcer spot, a job that he does better than anyone else, just because of way he looks. Yep, nothing disrespecful about that at all.

And there's plenty of more examples.

Try to know what you're talking about before you post.

· Registered
2,419 Posts
Firing him on numerous occasions, including on-air, I guess doesn't count. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Neither does removing him from the head announcer spot, a job that he does better than anyone else, just because of way he looks. Yep, nothing disrespecful about that at all.

And there's plenty of more examples.

Try to know what you're talking about before you post.
So despite all of the numerous disrespectful behavior by the WWE, JR still chooses to work backstage with the company and do the occasional angle? Give me a break. If it doesn't bother him and he can be professional about it why the hell is Borash getting pissed off? And why the hell would it bother you? The man is making money and WWE made him one of the most known figures in the business. His work there will always be remembered as his best.

· Registered
455 Posts
So despite all of the numerous disrespectful behavior by the WWE, JR still chooses to work backstage with the company and do the occasional angle? Give me a break. If it doesn't bother him and he can be professional about it why the hell is Borash getting pissed off? And why the hell would it bother you? The man is making money and WWE made him one of the most known figures in the business. His work there will always be remembered as his best.
What does that have to do with the fact that he's been disrespected numerous times? He knows where the money is, good for him. But that doesn't change the above fact.

And giving the WWE credit for making him is hilarious. His talents made him. Yes, he was showcased on WWE TV. But his talents made him stand out...and how much better his is than his replacements prove that.

· Registered
2,419 Posts
What does that have to do with the fact that he's been disrespected numerous times? He knows where the money is, good for him. But that doesn't change the above fact.
Doesn't change the facts but makes Borash look like an idiot. He feels hurt for what WWE did to JR, yet JR remains with them and actually keeps putting the company over. It's just Borash taking shots at WWE. And all the TNA marks just feel that JR was treated badly by the WWE when JR himself doesn't seem to care.

· Premium Member
46,612 Posts
I've always had the feeling that Vince likes to screw with JR, for whatever reason. Probably the best example was when he traded him over to Smackdown without telling him. That was like "what the fuck?". Jericho even kind of talked about it a bit in a recent interview how he feels Vince doesn't respect JR as much as he should.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.