Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IGN spoke with TNA star Jay Lethal on his Macho Man and Ric Flair impersonations, and how he was able to perform them so well. "Well the Macho Man impersonation I've always been able to do. I can't remember a time when I couldn't do the Macho Man impression," he said.

"But for the the Ric Flair impersonation, TNA went over to the U.K. last year and on one of our days off we had some down time and everybody was just hanging out and enjoying a little quiet. And I just whipped out this Ric Flair impersonation. I didn't even think it would get as far as it did. I didn't even think I could do it as well as I did. It just seemed to catch on. Someone asked me 'who else can you do?' Well, in 2011, in January, TNA's going to go over to the U.K. again and that's when I'll figure out who else I can do."

He was asked if he felt these impersonations would offend someone, especially the legends he was doing them of. "Definitely. Especially the Macho Man impersonation. He's an idol of mine, but there are so many stories out there about the Macho Man being crazy and I don't know how much he was going to like it."

He continued, "I didn't want to offend him at all, much like the Ric Flair impersonation. I didn't want to offend anybody at all. That was the furthest thing in my mind. I just wanted to pay tribute to them. Which is why I just won't go out there and do any imitation. Because if I don't feel that I've got a good one then I won't do it. But I'm definitely trying to pay tribute to whoever I'm imitating at the time. It's not a "make fun of" or disrespectful kind of thing."

He spoke about his match at Victory Road this Sunday with his idol growing up, Ric Flair. "Oh, my god. It's going to be the greatest moment of my life," he said. "I'm only 25 years old. I turn 25 this year. I'm not married. I don't have that wedding date in my head. I don't have the normal dates in my head that normal people around my age have."

"I only have about three, and one is brand new. I have December 7th, 2003 and that's the day I started wrestling. I have April 29th, 1985, which is the day I was born and I'm going to add July 11th, 2010 to the mix which, in my head, I have billed as "the greatest moment…not of my wrestling career…but of my life" when I step into the ring to face Ric Flair. And I can't wait."

Lethal comments on his current career highlights, saying, "I'd like to say all of them have been right here in TNA. I wrestled, not too long after I got to TNA, and not too long after I started the Black Machismo character, I got to have a tag team match with Sting. Of all people. Sting!"

He continued, "And I got to have a one on one match with Jeff Jarrett. Before I even started the Black Machismo thing I had about three one on one matches with Jeff Jarrett. And I wrestled Kurt Angle for the X Division Title and I beat him. There are so many here in TNA. I feel like the same guys I'm sharing the locker room with, the ones I'm laughing and joking with, I used to watch every one of them on TV."

He made a comment about the rumor of WWE banning chops, and then talked about working on chops for his match against Flair. "Well, I'd definitely say so. Because why else would you do that? I mean, I see no other reason why they would do that," he said about WWE banning chops.

He continued by talking about working on chops for his match against Flair, "I've been working on my chops, but my "woos" could use a little work. Not too many people understand that, in order for me to do my Ric Flair impersonation, I have to yell at the top of my lungs. So every word that I say that sounds like Ric Flair's voice is me yelling. And the "wooo" – I haven't quite perfected the "wooo." But I think I've got a good enough one." To read the full interview, visit IGN.com

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Im gonna give him props for that staredown on Impact. It dobe more than a punch or brawl wouldve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts