Wrestling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 3279 Posts

·
Locker Room Leader
12,142 Posts
Yeah the G1 is probably the litmus test for Cody. When AJ Styles came in, he was pushed but the crowd wasn't responding to him all that well. Then, he turned in some great G1 matches and won the crowd over. I don't know if Cody will be able to do the same, let's see.

·
The NEW
13,420 Posts
I can see Cody having a real solid run in the G1. I know it's not the most popular opinion, but I think he's been just fine in his post-WWE run. Great first weekend in EVOLVE w/ awesome matches vs. ZSJ & Hero - then super strong BOLA with really good matches vs. Callihan & Scurll (who is someone who usually doesn't have really good matches imo). Also thought that his WK match vs. Juice was super solid. Best match of the undercard. And most recently, a really damn good, borderline great bullrope match vs. Jay Lethal.

Cody will do just fine. He probably won't have AJ vs. MiSu quality matches, but he'll have some really good ones & I could even see him busting out a few GREAT ones.

·
Le Champion
18,717 Posts
Do you think he'll add some fantastic matches to his resume/to the show and what role do you think he'll play out? Seen absolutely nothing of him except the average match against Juice at WK.
I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he'll have a fantastic showing at the G1, but I'm confident he can at least put on a solid run with the right opponents. A fine enough fill in if we can't get Honma or Shibata but there's definitely a dropoff there. I don't honestly know if I've ever given a Cody Rhodes singles match ****+ though so that might be his ceiling. :p

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
That was by far the weakest title match main event of NJPW's year. Dragged ass for the first half, and got absolutely moronic with ref abuse and interference at the end. Suzuki does less than nothing for me at this point in his career.

·
Le Champion
18,717 Posts
Haven't seen the match yet but it looks like the atrocious booking of Suzuki Gun has continued. Happy to see MiSu win the title but have not read positive things about the match or how it went down. :p

·
The NEW
13,420 Posts
I thought that the match was really good (***1/2), but yeah the Suzuki-gun overbooking interference shit is pretty annoying.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I thought that the match was really good (***1/2), but yeah the Suzuki-gun overbooking interference shit is pretty annoying.
It is weird, would anyone seriously have problems with Suzuki beating Goto clean? It feels like it is done due to some weird "Suzuki Gun match requires shit that drags down its quality" rule. I guess they really want people hating them.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,032 Posts
Happy to see Misu finally get a meaningful win.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Skipped the stupid young lion and tiger mask rubbish intro and first up was another burial of Suzuki Gun, I think they are now so buried they are beyond jobbers now with the exception of KES and Minoru.
When long term genuine tag teams are losing to random pairings it devalues the whole of tag team wrestling as a whole and NJPW is not alone in this as WWE and Impact etc also do it.
Finlay and TenCozy against Bullet Club was shit and Kojima needs to fuck off with his fast chops on his opponent in the corner as they look pathetic.
A poor 6 minute match was not what I expected from guys that can do so much better.
R-Vice against Suzuki Gun Kanemura and Taichi was a good bout and had a great finish but Suzuki Gun were made to look like jobbers.
Why portray your champions as jobbers unless they are Suzuki gun of course.
What was the point of bringing them in at all.

I had no idea of the card when i started watching so when I saw the 5 group of Juice, Tatsu, Tanahashi, Ricochet & Taguchi I knew it was LIJ and worth watching as LIJ are the best group in all of pro wrestling.It was bad enough the had cj parker pinning Naito but now Sanada, Gedo needs to be put in a home.
BC v Chaos was what it was and I cannot wait for Omega to fuck off to WWE so I wont have to see his comedy rubbish anymore.
When Fale is higher up the card than omega it tells you where his comedy is going. A pity that Ishii is being fed to him as Ishii deserves better.
Yoshi Hashi with 'loose explosion' wrote on his ass still makes me laugh.
Gonna watch Minoru win the title next and hopefully a good match

Haven't seen the match yet but it looks like the atrocious booking of Suzuki Gun has continued. Happy to see MiSu win the title but have not read positive things about the match or how it went down. :p

Every single member was booked weak and made to look a jobber.
Even Minoru had to depend on constant interference and a chair shot to get the win, and whilst i am happy to see him get a title he rightfully deserves it is not worth a damn when he and the whole stable are booked like that.

·
The Man Comes Around
8,486 Posts
Don't understand why the Goto Suzuki match got some bad reviews.

I liked the match and El Desperado being at the ringside and the chair shot was nothing really surprising tbh. That's how the stable won most of the big matches since years...

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Well yeah, and some people don't like how Suzuki Gun usually wins their matches. I think most of the negative reviews are due to that.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Interference isn't like a typical high spot. It gets old and stale really fast. It doesn't help that both AJ Styles and Kenny Omega have used interference in far more amusing ways in the last few years. Suzuki-Gun's whole shtick screams bush league.

141 - 160 of 3279 Posts