Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 3271 Posts

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
I liked the tag match between Okada/Ishii vs Fale/Omega, especially the Omega/Ishii parts of the match. What I don't get is how Okada has taken beating after beating and comeback and here he gets pinned by a tombstone, which isn't even one of Fale's finishers. Maybe they are playing that all these matches are catching up with him, which would be an interesting story. I liked the Omega promo putting over Fale saying "Don't play my music, play Fale's music" and then saying Fale to splash Ishii. After this match I expect a lot from Ishii/Omega, I think it might be better than his last match and that's saying a lot because his last match is in my top10 MOTY list. I think Fale/Okada could be really good, but they didn't seem in the same page in the match, if they rely in storytelling that could help it though

Reactions: Zatiel

·
I did nothing wrong
8,909 Posts
Essential joshi viewings from this year so far. haven't seen everything. I will, though

(Ice Ribbon 1/29) - Triangle Ribbon Championship : Manami Toyota vs Tsukasa Fujimoto vs Tsukushi - ***1/2
(Ice Ribbon 1/29) - Hiragi Kurumi vs Kyuri - ***3/4
(Ice Ribbon 1/29) - Tsukushi & Hiragi Kurumi vs Hiroyo Matsumoto & Hamuko Hoshi - ***3/4
(Stardom 2/23) - Wonder of Stardom Title: Kairi Hojo vs Jungle Kyona - ***3/4
(Stardom 3/05) - Goddesses Of Stardom Title : Kairi Hojo & Yoko Bito (c) vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto & Jungle Kyona - ****
(SEAdLINNNG 3/16) - Astronomical Battle : Nanae Takahashi & Arisa Nakajima vs Hiroyo Matsumoto & Ryo Mizunami - ***3/4
(SEAdLINNNG 3/16) - Extreme Genesis : Yoshiko vs Sareee - ***3/4
(Ice Ribbon 3/26) - Tsukasa Fujimoto vs Arisa Nakajima - ***3/4
(Ice Ribbon 3/26) - International Ribbon Tag Team Championship : Avid Rival (Misaki Ohata & Ryo Mizunami) © vs This is Ice Ribbon/Heisei YTR (Tsukushi & Hiragi Kurumi) - ****

Also Ice Ribbon owner lost his fucking mind today for their Korakuen Hall show. Local mascots, 2 idol acts, the guy that did the shitty WK theme and fucking Naito cosplayer. The card itself looked maybe solid on paper but wasnt too hyped for it, though

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think it kind of sucks that Dontaku got split up into 3 shows, they would actually have a really good card if they just stuck it all on May 3rd. Look how good this sounds on paper....

IWGP World Championship
Okada vs Fale

IWGP Intercontinental Championship
Naito vs Juice

NEVER Openweight Championship
Goto vs Suzuki

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship
Takahashi vs Richochet

IWGP Hvy. World Tag Team Championship
War Machine vs Guerillas of Destiny vs TenCozy

IWGP Jr. Tag Team Championship
Kanemaru/Taichi vs RPG Vice

Tanahashi vs EVIL

Ishii vs Omega

Cody vs Finlay

A couple random tag matches

I understand why they're doing it and if it makes NJPW some more money then I'm good with it. I really wonder what they're going to do when they expand. Will they have 2 different "brands" or will it be one brand? Whatever happens I'm glad NJPW is getting more exposure and I'm glad I found pro WRESTLING instead of all the Sports Entertainment borefest here just my opinion if you like sports entertainment better then more power to you.

·
I did nothing wrong
8,909 Posts
I think it kind of sucks that Dontaku got split up into 3 shows, they would actually have a really good card if they just stuck it all on May 3rd. Look how good this sounds on paper....

IWGP World Championship
Okada vs Fale

Naito vs Juice

Goto vs Suzuki

Takahashi vs Richochet

Tanahashi vs EVIL

Ishii vs Omega

Cody vs Finlay

I understand why they're doing it and if it makes NJPW some more money then I'm good with it. I really wonder what they're going to do when they expand. Will they have 2 different "brands" or will it be one brand? Whatever happens I'm glad NJPW is getting more exposure and I'm glad I found pro WRESTLING instead of all the Sports Entertainment borefest here just my opinion if you like sports entertainment better then more power to you.
It would but modern New Japan isnt about really good cards

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also Ice Ribbon owner lost his fucking mind today for their Korakuen Hall show. Local mascots, 2 idol acts, the guy that did the shitty WK theme and fucking Naito cosplayer. The card itself looked maybe solid on paper but wasnt too hyped for it, though
Tsukasa Fujimoto said something about working with other industries to draw new fans, this is part of something they've been doing for a while. I don't like most of this stuff but I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't get in the way of the wrestling.

·
Le Champion
18,669 Posts

IWGP World Championship
Okada vs Fale

Naito vs Juice

Goto vs Suzuki

Takahashi vs Richochet

Tanahashi vs EVIL

Ishii vs Omega

Cody vs Finlay

Fuck I could imagine that show going a good 6 or 7 hours. :lol

·
Registered
9,515 Posts

IWGP World Championship
Okada vs Fale

Naito vs Juice

Goto vs Suzuki

Takahashi vs Richochet

Tanahashi vs EVIL

Ishii vs Omega

Cody vs Finlay

For an A-Show like Sakura Genesis or Dominion, yes. For a B-Show like Dontaku, no.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
IT's better to do it in 2 show in this case. It's a smaller show, and a lot of the smaller shows are split anyway.

Plus I don't want to watch 6 hours of Pro-Wrestling in one sitting. Which I wouldn't have to anyway, but you're still looking at a 5 or 6 hour show if you do it all in one.

Another reason is possibly the TV. I think the shows are aired in Japan at some point, and they probably can't have a show over 4 hours.

I remember that being the worry for the Omega vs Okada match being long at WK.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
The tag matches exist in every Japanese promotion. They are there to further stories and protect guys. You get less repeat singles matches throughout the year. Dragon Gate, AJPW, NOAH, and BJW use tag matches in this way nothing new. They are also trying to give more time to major singles matches and if they were all on one show chances are many would be cut for time and not be given chances to great or very good. You get the singles match cards for major shows like Dominion, G1, and Wrestle Kingdom. There roster is pretty damn big now too.

·
I did nothing wrong
8,909 Posts
Plus I don't want to watch 6 hours of Pro-Wrestling in one sitting. Which I wouldn't have to anyway, but you're still looking at a 5 or 6 hour show if you do it all in one.
Most big(ger) puro shows range from 3 to 5 hours which New Japan reaches anyway even with a bunch of skippable tags on a card(counting intermission obviously, but that is important), regardless of promotion. Though most promotions big shows are centric to Korakuen Hall, in whcih case the most would be 3 1/2 hours or shorter

Another reason is possibly the TV. I think the shows are aired in Japan at some point, and they probably can't have a show over 4 hours.
It's not a real reason. It's a recap show with 2, sometimes just 1 big or semi big match from several months ago on there. Some editing, some interview clips of one of the guys in those matches, thats the show. Late night airing on TV Asahi. AXS show is just that but apparently they're gonna change that format up which is a very good idea at this point and for what they wanna accomplish.

The tag matches exist in every Japanese promotion. They are there to further stories and protect guys. You get less repeat singles matches throughout the year. Dragon Gate, AJPW, NOAH, and BJW use tag matches in this way nothing new.
Well yeah this is true, but their tag matches are interesting compared to NJPW so its not exactly that way :mj
well I guess not NOAH
The issue is honestly way more that the tags don't look interesting at all whatsoever and Gedoism means absolutely no singles to at least break off the boredom from seeing the 20th version of 3 different tag pairings even though a couple breakoff singles is what these lame ass cards need. Basically the 2 match show formula is an idea you should probably not do if you're never ever gonna make anything interesting with the format, and New Japan doesn't. Going on to the other guy I quoted, you'd be doing yourself a favor skipping the tags which would probably cut out maybe 3 hours from a new Japan show :mj

They are also trying to give more time to major singles matches and if they were all on one show chances are many would be cut for time and not be given chances to great or very good. You get the singles match cards for major shows like Dominion, G1, and Wrestle Kingdom. There roster is pretty damn big now too.
New Japan matches are hilariously too long anyway and almost all of them would be better with 5-15 minutes sometimes taken off. Hell I'd wish the format was these matches on the same card, 15-25 minutes for them. That's all they need instead of trying super hard to make a SUPER EXCITING EPIC, which just turn out ""you could've shaved that match down and gotten the same or even a better outcome and payoff"

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Its you personal opinion about the NJPW main events. They are drawing money. Okada was voted as a top wrestler by 10,000 fans. It does not matter what any of our personal opinions of any of these businesses are doing if they are profitable. It's so ridiculous when people do this to any company which is successful.

I have seen plenty of nothing tag matches in those other companies with strong matches on top of the card. How man Brahman + other guys vs Speed of Sounds + other guys variations did we get in the past year? The first couple of Dragon Gate shows were just okay compared to the great showing they had last year.

I do not knock them and I skip a ton of road to shows from of the promotions because I have not the time to keep up with everything. Most these promotions are doing well to good business except for NOAH which should have closed its doors.

·
I did nothing wrong
8,909 Posts
Its you personal opinion about the NJPW main events.
It's almost as if that's the discussion to be had. gee, who knows, maybe I'm getting that from a Replies facts book or something

They are drawing money. Okada was voted as a top wrestler by 10,000 fans. It does not matter what any of our personal opinions of any of these businesses are doing if they are profitable. It's so ridiculous when people do this to any company which is successful.
Who fucking cares?
Isn't this what people get upset at WWE marks for everytime Roman Reigns or John Cena are critiqued? Never did I allude to the mentions of these numbers or that set of numbers. What do they have to do with personal critiques of something, they have nothing to do with it. There's no point in bringing this up

I have seen plenty of nothing tag matches in those other companies with strong matches on top of the card. How man Brahman + other guys vs Speed of Sounds + other guys variations did we get in the past year? The first couple of Dragon Gate shows were just okay compared to the great showing they had last year.
This came before I edited my post i think so I'll just leave that there. But Brahman tags are rarely "nothing". they're not super important but they're rarely ever "nothing". And the mention of variations, which Big Japan offers plenty of for them(even though I admit mentioning them for comparison is kinda cheating in regards to the deathmatch stips specifically), that's what actually makes up for them being in the same place with their shtick every card. Just like, for example, Hirata from DDT. Can't speak on DG.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
It depends on the tags. I really don't like Suzuki Gun tags since they are mostly same shit regardless of who they are fighting against, but for example Taguchi Japan vs LIJ tags serve a purpose, like how Juice vs Naito was slowly built in them and they are also showcasing Ricochet for Hiromu match without him actually pinning anyone or getting pinned himself.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
I like how new japan does things. All japan did the same thing in the 90s.

I submit if wwe did the same thing theyd be more successful. Having so many singles devalues wwe feuds

·
Le Champion
18,669 Posts
I submit if wwe did the same thing theyd be more successful. Having so many singles devalues wwe feuds
More successful in what way? I don't really think they would tbh because of the amount of programming they have. New Japan can do it so much when they don't have 2 shows a week to put out and 80% of the tag matches are pretty much meaningless. I feel like a lot of people would lose interest.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I've just noticed that NJPW World has put up some of the matches from the RevPro Epic Encounter event from a few weeks ago. I was actually considering paying for that as well. Is this normal? What is going on?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Looking at this big proposed card I only now realized that we'll get Finlay vs Cody match. Can't see Finlay winning, so whats up with Cody? Maybe they are building him up for IC belt match against Naito (or Tana if he gets it in Dominion) in G1 special?

101 - 120 of 3271 Posts