Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 3269 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
At least four matches on this show were better than Goto Vs Suzuki. Really fun show, easy to watch, and flew by. Ricochet/Takahashi was MOTN for me, but I could see it changing based on what you like.

Fale bodyslammed Okada on the floor post-match. Okada freaking bounced off of the pads, which is essentially bouncing off of concrete. I was concerned with the high spots in his matches, and that move particularly scared me. I really don't want one of the best wrestlers of the generation to be crippled by 35.

Had a blast with Ricochet Vs. Takahashi. The Northern Lights/Vertical Suplex combo on the floor was nuts. Loved that they referenced how dangerous the Sunset Flip to the floor is, and that Ricochet had a counter ready for it.

I heard the Japanese commentators reference "Mistah Perfecto" when talking about Ricochet. Did anybody make out why?

EVIL Vs. Tanahashi was more fun than their previous outing, but of course it was going to be since this was the hero overcoming the odds. Less bullshit, and Tanahashi had a lot of verve to him tonight.

As someone who is not high on Naito, that Juice match was really fun! Good stuff from both sides.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Just watched the IC Title from today’s NJPW show. Does Naito have the worst haircut in pro wrestling today?

The match itself was… eh. What is it with NJPW having legs worked in every single big match? Legs worked but only sold when outside of sequences? I know some people love main events like this but personally I just wish they would shorten them and quicken the pace. The match started well and I enjoyed the finish but there was a good 10 - 15 minutes in the middle there which could have quite easily been removed with no detriment to the match whatsoever.

Also, while he didn’t win and maybe that is the right decision, I still love that Robinson has basically become the poster child for “It’s 2017 motherfucker, who needs WWE?”.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
April 29th show

I skipped the opener which was a repeat of tiger mask and 2 young lions against Jushin and 2 young lions.
R-Vice up next against Kanemaru and Desperado. Should have been Taichi and Kanemaru getting a rematch for their titles.
Was a fairly good match in front of a dead crowd.
Tatsu is a jobber but I like him and Taguchi, both can perform well and their bout with Sanada and Bushi did its job.
TenCozy and Finlay dont really gel and was just a filler match against Bullet Club who were again booked strong. Yoshi Hashi, Osprey & Goto against Suzuki Gun showed how badly Suzuki gun need another member who is a quality heavyweight. Not surprised Goto and Hashi won as you just knew whoever partnered Minoru was eating the pin.
Bullet Club against Okada and team chaos was another bout that was just going through the motions and building for the singles events between the parties I presume as i skipped most as I have zero interest in comedy Omega and the useless Toru.
The Hiromu against Ricochet bout was great right from the bell.Even the dead crowd seemed to come alive for this 18 minute match and was glad Hiromu won which only made me think Naito might drop his title.
Tanahashi against Evil was a more slower methodical match than the previous bout and took a while for me to get interested in and only came really alive after the interference from other LIJ members.
WWE fans go on about the charisma of Nakamura, its nothing to that of Naito who comes across as a huge star and van back it up between the ropes. A great main event and glad Naito is not losing to Juice.

The down side of Naito winning is had he lost he could start to focus on the Heavyweight title and more worthy of it than Omega or the filler jobber Fale. Tanahashi up next for him should be good though.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Mother of God, what have I started?!

(Seriously this is gold, please keep going).

What is the story about bad hair in Japanese wrestling?

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Watched all the tag matches KENTA & Shibata had together, and oh man, if they would've had a legit few year run as a team, they would've gone down as one of the absolute best teams ever. The 3 matches they had are all fantastic.

I remember watching the match they had against Misawa/Shiozaki and
at the end when Shiozaki kicks out of the Penalty Kick, Shibata gets pissed and stiffs him in the jaw with a kick and then pins him.

I remember Shibata had this look on his face, like "you fucker you kicked out of my finisher- here's a kick to the jaw to remind you it was my finisher..." :lol

I'll have to watch that match again, thanks for posting the other two as well.

·
The NEW
13,419 Posts
Watched the top-3 matches from Toyonokuni.

Ricochet vs. Hiromu disappointed me greatly. I absolutely LOVED the beginning with Ricochet going straight for the kill & but after that, things went downhill big time. The energy & sense of urgency dropped by quite a bit. *1/2

EVIL vs. Tanahashi was my MOTN. There are times when I forget just how good Tanahashi is, but then he puts on a match like this & I remember why he truly is one of the greatest wrestlers of all-time. A simple, basic match but with a masterful performance by the man. ***3/4

Naito vs. Juice was really good. I think it's safe to say that Juice passed his first "main event test". Was very happily surprised that he sold the leg Naito worked on very well throughout the whole thing. ***3/4

Pretty excited for Okada/Fale @ Dontaku. I have loved all of their other matches against each other. Okada is great & Fale always delivers against the top New Japan guys. Should be lots of fun.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Quick question, where do you guys watch the shows?

Does everyone here have NJPW world?
Careful now.
You will get accused of not being a fan because you do not have NJPW like what was said to myself since I also do not have NJPW world.
Then why pay when I can watch them all for free online or via a torrent.
Some idiots on here think by not paying you are less of a fan.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Quelle surprise you replying in seconds seeing as you live on here.

I do not not have NJPW or the Network since I can watch what ever I want for FREE. You cannot get cheaper than that. If the FREE option was not available then I would pay, but that is just stupid when its FREE
Alas I know in your tiny mind that means I must be less of a fan but if that helps make you feel better about yourself then allow me to help you try feel better.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
So I'm about half way through this 4.29 show and I've got to say I'm just not impressed at all with Kenny Omega right now. Admittedly this is only my 5th or 6th time watching him but every time it's like he's a caricature of a wrestler. Everything is ridiculously over exaggerated and over the top. It's like he's not taking it seriously or something. I don't understand it at all and I don't like it.

The best Bullet Club member, for me, is Tama Tonga. Quite comfortably, actually.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Omega is great when he decides to once in a blue moon put in a performance but generally he is a comedy midcarder who had one great match mostly thanks to okada and suddenly he was a superstar who would join the WWE and be huge and other such nonsense

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Ricochet, on the other hand, is an absolute star. The opening 30 seconds in this IWGP Jr title match were breathtaking.

·
Registered
23,955 Posts
So I'm about half way through this 4.29 show and I've got to say I'm just not impressed at all with Kenny Omega right now. Admittedly this is only my 5th or 6th time watching him but every time it's like he's a caricature of a wrestler. Everything is ridiculously over exaggerated and over the top. It's like he's not taking it seriously or something. I don't understand it at all and I don't like it.

The best Bullet Club member, for me, is Tama Tonga. Quite comfortably, actually.
I think he'll change your opinion just a bit when he wrestles Ishii on the next show. Now, I'm a relative newbie myself to NJPW, so I can't tell you all the intricacies of his character. But as you probably see, NJPW does a lot of tag matches. And in these tag matches, Omega usually tones himself down and shows more of his comedic side.

But then when he competes in a big singles match, he basically transforms into a different wrestler. He goes from his bring and colorful tights to all black and while still showing that "eccentric" side he becomes much more serious.

181 - 200 of 3269 Posts