Wrestling Forum banner

Japanese Women's Wrestler Sareee Signs with WWE

1978 Views 27 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  PandaPawPaw

Good news for all you Joshi lovers out there. I want Maki Itoh next.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
30,025 Posts
Honestly have never seen her work, though that was the same for me when Asuka debuted. I remembered when she debuted as "Kana" in the crowd of the 1st Takeover Brooklyn standing by Ric Flair, I assumed she was Flair's new girlfriend.

So I'll try to check some of her stuff in the future to see what she's all about.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
WWE need learn from past especially with the communicate with fans or crowds, no matter how great they are,these fans will use the language issue as excuse to not accept her. She's just 23-24, send her to learn English and how to interact with the fans for two years.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WWE need learn from past especially with the communicate with fans or crowds, no matter how great they are,these fans will use the language issue as excuse to not accept her. She's just 23-24, send her to learn English and how to interact with the fans for two years.
I like how Shida from AEW is using her own personal time to teach herself English. WWE women need to follow suit.

· Registered
4,074 Posts
I like how Shida from AEW is using her own personal time to teach herself English. WWE women need to follow suit.
NXT is on Full Sail, they have campus or University, make her to focus on English lesson ,at least three times a week, there's no such thing called instant but with hardwork, impossible is nothing.

Nakamura actually can talk or understand English, Io's mother (according from someone in here) was or is English tutor in Japan, so I assume she can along with Kairi who is her best friend for a long time.

· Registered
1,596 Posts
Oh shit this is truly a game changer signing Joshi star Saree because she is young, healthy but a very talented Superstar especially during her days in Women's World Pro Wrestling Diana also Joshi Puroresu and Sedai Girls Pro Wrestling. In my opinion when she gets called up to NXT could take that Women's division into all new heights. She said her dream match is with Charlotte Flair I think that would be an awesome encounter but I don't want her to get buried in the process so keep her away from The Queen. If they do have a Mae Young Classic she'll definitely be odds on favorite to win. Now the rumored of NXT Japan is definitely becoming a reality!

· Registered
11,477 Posts
Shida has barely promo'd and still rarely appears on AEW as it is.

Is there any chance she gets assigned a gimmick that isn't the exact same one shared by Io, Karir, and Asuka?
Probably trolling here, but other than being heels they don't really act the same. Heel Io is a lot more serious than Kairi and Asuka are.

· Custom User Title
7,409 Posts
Sareee did an interview with Yahoo Japan.

Her and WWE have been in talks since 2017, her dream is to face Charlotte. But she also went into work mode and said the first person she wants to face in a feud on NXT is Io Shirai.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shida has barely promo'd and still rarely appears on AEW as it is.

Probably trolling here, but other than being heels they don't really act the same. Heel Io is a lot more serious than Kairi and Asuka are.
It doesn't matter. The effort is still there. WWE women have been here for years and still make no attempts to cut promos in English. I know for a fact that Asuka can speak competent enough English because she does translations for her YouTube channel. She just needs to apply that same energy to her promos.

· Registered
11,477 Posts
It doesn't matter. The effort is still there. WWE women have been here for years and still make no attempts to cut promos in English. I know for a fact that Asuka can speak competent enough English because she does translations for her YouTube channel. She just needs to apply that same energy to her promos.
I disagree. Asuka has cut many english promos before she went heel. Her accent is usually what got in the way of them going smoothly. Just because someone can speak english doesn't mean the accent will go away quickly.

Accents tend not to play well with live crowds. It is what it is. I think people fail to understand this.

It seems like people hype up every new Japanese wrestler who displays some ability to speak english as better than the previous hire, but when they start cutting promos, it turns out they aren't better at it after all.

· Custom User Title
7,409 Posts
I mean @llj, I haven't seen anyone hype up Sareee's English. And she's even said herself that she knows little to no English. But that's the point of the WWE PC. They have an ESL teacher there who was brought in around the time Kairi signed. And at least written wise, Kairi is very fluent in English. And Io may be rough around the edges, but she has the least noticeable accent of any of the previous joshi signed to WWE.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I disagree. Asuka has cut many english promos before she went heel. Her accent is usually what got in the way of them going smoothly. Just because someone can speak english doesn't mean the accent will go away quickly.

Accents tend not to play well with live crowds. It is what it is. I think people fail to understand this.

It seems like people hype up every new Japanese wrestler who displays some ability to speak english as better than the previous hire, but when they start cutting promos, it turns out they aren't better at it after all.
Shida speaks British English. It's perfectly intelligible.

· Registered
769 Posts
I get queezy when I consider chiming in on this, out of fear of triggering the outrage crowd and being called racist. But I'll try anyway.

Ucok is right. If fans can't communicate with you and understand why you're doing what you're doing and why you are who you are, it's no surprise they struggle for broad appeal.

Nakamura was cool for a while because he wrestled in a latex body suit and had a unique move set, but that fizzled out after we'd seen it so many times.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get queezy when I consider chiming in on this, out of fear of triggering the outrage crowd and being called racist. But I'll try anyway.

Ucok is right. If fans can't communicate with you and understand why you're doing what you're doing and why you are who you are, it's no surprise they struggle for broad appeal.

Nakamura was cool for a while because he wrestled in a latex body suit and had a unique move set, but that fizzled out after we'd seen it so many times.
There's nothing wrong with what you've said here. The language barrier will always prevent maximum audience connection. At least Maki Itoh knows curse words and insults and will make people laugh with her limited English.

· Registered
12,005 Posts
There's nothing wrong with what you've said here. The language barrier will always prevent maximum audience connection. At least Maki Itoh knows curse words and insults and will make people laugh with her limited English.
That's not the thing. Inability to speak english isn't the problem on it's own. It's the booking to compliment the style. Goldberg not saying a thing worked wonders. Same for Brock. Same for Crow Sting, same for Vader.

Nakamura and Asuka were going great, they didn't and still don't need to speak - the only reason people think it's an issue is Vince got cold feet on them after they won their rumbles and they've never really recovered to the same heights. Naka especially not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.