Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
#TeamCardcaptor and Oh... Still Music >>>> Wrestli
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Japan has always been impressive by pretty much anything and with music, that's no exception.

For the most of the decade, I've been focusing on Japanese metal and quite frankly, it's amazing. Even going to Japan, I experienced something first hand is that Japanese care about music and it's all over the place in the streets of Tokyo.

There has been a certain trend in the Japanese metal scene and that's the whole all-female metal bands and you know what, THEY RULE!!!!

I'm yet to be disappointed. From Aldious to Cyntia to Mary's Blood to the extremely outstanding Lovebites, it seems like heaven to me,

And what about the pop scene, well... check this out:

It's old but damn, it's great. Her voice, atmosphere is so grand.

Anime music have always been great. I've been following this series called "Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO" and this is the ending song and tell me that isn't amazing:

Whether you're into metal or anything, it's undeniable that this singer is just sensational. Me and a friend analyzed this song and it's just breath-taking.

This is me giving commendable to Japanese Metal and Music and you know what, let's share them and appreciate them all out.

NIHON WA SUBARASHI DESU!!!! >:)>:)>:)>:)

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Man....good post from a fellow metal head.

Ill be honest I discredited anything metal related in Japan after I seen this:

Seriously some of the worst crowds ever, for some of the most epic performances, and it just pissed me off. Maybe I should dig in and do my research more.

·
WF's AKB Fan
5,757 Posts
Being a AKB (and related 48 Groups) fan I'll probably promote some AKB content.

Sashihara Rino graduated from 48G a while back and the special boxset will be out in a couple of days, might look to get some of that.

shoutout to HKT48 and my favorite song of theirs, Melon Juice.

·
WF's AKB Fan
5,757 Posts
Let me introduce you to one of my favorite idols Takeuchi Miyu

• She can play piano, trumpet, and guitar
  • She began taking piano lessons at age two
  • She has bsolute pitch. Meaning that she has the ability to play the melody of a song after hearing it only once
Currently signed to Korean label Mystic Entertainment. She's a former AKB48 member, so on her youtube channel she covers AKB songs.

Was on a Korean talent show with other AKB members and has done covers of those songs.

Even covers songs in english

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Not a single JAM Project post. Disappointing.

Reactions: ManiaSeason2017

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I very briefly got into two Japanese Metal bands, but it was closer to that Melodic Modern Metal stuff like new In Flames, new Soilwork, or Sonic Sydicate so I didn't get into it much.

one group was called Blood Stain Child, the other was called Gyze. There's also this really good Hardcore group from Japan, but i forget their name.

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,500 Posts
I love Japanese music, J-Metal, J-Rock, J-Pop, anything else. With Japan, the subgenre boundaries are so distorted that it's sometimes difficult to classify a song or a band, but that's not what's important. I really don't want to spam this post with Youtube videos, but how can I resist?

@Tony suggested tricot to me years ago in this thread and I've absolutely loved this song ever since. Thanks for that!

Dir En Grey was one of the first Japanese bands I've ever heard and instantly fell in love with their unique sound. They're the entry drug into J-Metal.

The GazettE is also one of my favorites. I feel like they're the entry drug into Visual Kei.

Speaking of Visual Kei, it's simply too unique and important to be overlooked. If you want to know more about it, I suggest looking up bands like Royz and Lycaon.

Since on one has mentioned yet, you simply can't forget the classics, X Japan. Arguably, the biggest and most well-known Japanese band ever. Their live performances are phenomenal.

Japan also has an amazing Power Metal scene, most notable examples (for me) being Galneryus and Versailles. Extremely technical and beautiful music, especially recommended for fans of Neo-Classical Metal. Syu from Galneryus also happens to be one of the greatest guitarists in the history of music (I'm honestly not exaggerating).

I'm barely scratching the surface here. If there will be more interest in this thread, I'll certainly continue, just didn't want to make this post too long.

·
NBA
3,315 Posts
Going to pick the easy answer first and say Loudness:

(Yeah, I didn't post Crazy Nights or like Hell)

Then there's their "rivals" Anthem. If you're a metal orthodox, then chances are you are going to prefer them to the former:

(yes: it's the song from the first Devilman OVA. And yes again: The singer sounds like Stephen Pearcy in this one)

There's also Seikima II:

(yeah, the intro riff sounds like the intro riff to Queensryche's Queen of the Reich)

And these guys are the Japanese Amebix/Discharge/Hellhammer and also true pioneers of the Hardcore and Metal scenes:

Not a single JAM Project post. Disappointing.
Here have some. It ain't Jam Project but it was sung and performed by Kageyama and has that JAM Project feel to it.

·
NBA
3,315 Posts
As for non metal music:

Yellow Magic Orchestra. True legends worldwide due to their contributions to the electronic music. Also, Ryuichi sakamoto has composed the score to a lot of known films:

Here's Akiko Yano doing a cover of Tong Poo, one of their classic songs:

And here's Casiopea:

(Mint Jams as a whole is a superb work)

·
NBA
3,315 Posts
I very briefly got into two Japanese Metal bands, but it was closer to that Melodic Modern Metal stuff like new In Flames, new Soilwork, or Sonic Sydicate so I didn't get into it much.

If you're more into classic metal, check the bands I posted, esp. Anthem and Seikima II. Another user posted Japan X, which would also be a good choice. And all those bands have discographies spawning well into the 90s and early 00s, in case you were to dig the style but look for a more modern sound.

There's also this really good Hardcore group from Japan, but i forget their name.
Do you mean G.I.S.M? The fourth band I posted.

Btw, almost forgot about the following dudes. I know a dude who's obsessed with this album (I need to inform you beforehand, it's a one song album a la ELP's Tarkus, so it ain't a casual friendly listen):

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can totally relate to this. As a big 80s hard rock/metal fan, Japan was always a hotbed for that type of music. Long after 80s rock had fallen out of favor in the US, bands like Firehouse and Mr. Big could go over to Japan and still draw big crowds. Japan has also produced plenty of good 80s hard rock bands like Loudness and EZO.

·
Distant Relative of Former Def Jam Intern/Presiden
16,262 Posts
I listen to every station on Asia Dream Radio, except Kawaii.
http://asiadreamradio.torontocast.stream/stations/index.html

B'z are my favorite rock artists. Kreva is my favorite rapper.

Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki, and Namie Amuro are my favorite singers & overall favorite artists. I have music from all of their albums.

'Chase the Chance' is my absolute favorite song I've ever heard from Japan. It makes me wanna move there more than I already wanted to + go back to 1995, I'm already nostalgic enough about things at times. I'm part-Chinese, and I love alot of Asian music & other things, but I've never been outside of USA where I live, except to Canada.

I watched every live performance of the song that I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=namie+amuro+chase+the+chance

·
Distant Relative of Former Def Jam Intern/Presiden
16,262 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts