Wrestling Forum banner

Jan 25, 2023 AEW Dynamite Discussion Thread: Mark Briscoe/Lethal, Darby/Buddy, Danielson/Cage, Toni/Ruby, JAS/Starks & Andretti

18K views 473 replies 73 participants last post by  Comp625 
#1 ·

Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevara or Daniel Garcia vs. Action Andretti & Ricky Starks
Bryan Danielson vs. Brian Cage

See less See more
#431 ·
MJF and Bryan's promos both hit the mark tonight, especially Bryan's, which invoked a lot of passion. The opener was decent and the right team won.

I would have much preferred the triple threat but Toni vs Soho wasn't bad.

Darby vs Buddy and Cage vs Bryan were both solid. The main event was very enjoyable and was a genuine feel-good moment. Mark Briscoe tore the house down.

Next week's card is super strong.

Overall: 7.5/10

#435 ·
Jay Lethal was so emotional before the Briscoe's music hit. Great match between Jay and Mark. The whole tribute to Jay was well done. Both the video earlier on and the match. Even seeing the wrestlers break character was great. Samoa Joe eager to give Mark a hug. I hardly listen to Jim Cornette because he is stuck in unconstructive negativity usually but listening to him even get emotional over Jay's death.... man. This really hit a lot of people in the wrestling world hard. RIP Jay Briscoe.

Enjoyed the Acclaimed/Gunns thing. Billy basically took over her job and she being over the top with the reactions was amusing.

Most of the rest of the matches were fine. Looks like Jungle Hook are staying together.

I am all for a babyface Adam Cole.

Timothy Thatcher, I was a fan of his in NXT and wondered where he ended up. Thatcher vs. a hurt Danielson is very interesting.

#436 ·
I skipped the opener. You knew le sex gods were winning. No need to watch

I skipped through Darby vs buddy. I can't stand buddy Matthews as anything but the cruisernator. Darby vs Joe's blow off should be a step up from their last match even though it is obvious Wardlow interferes cause Ohio

Jungle hook does nothing for me. Them wrestling the soft does even less.

Cage is trash. Bless Bryan for trying

Main event was perfect

#437 ·
Positives:

- Beautiful main event, all class and genuine feel-good moment

- Junglehook

- Ruby's promo piqued my interest, the women's division has my interest now more than ever

- Action Andretti looked like a bigger star this week, and Ricky reclaimed some lost momentum from that heelish promo 2 weeks ago. Entertaining opening match.

- They showed a quick replay after an ad (it flowed better) without overdoing it

- Family therapy was actually good as it was serious and planted the seeds for Billy Gunn to end up as the proud father when the Ass Boys win the titles AND for the whole group to stay together afterwards so you keep Billy with the Acclaimed, so lots of great outcomes were hinted at here (improved production too)

- New aesthetics still look good

- Sammy Guevara

- Adam Cole's excellent Cody Rhodes parody ❤

- Great in-ring action

- Hangman's promo (my fav... love his character and don't agree with the criticism)

- MJF promo again tells us why he's actually a babyface if you read between the lines, just as he's always done since the beginning. The most depth in a wrestling character ever.

Negatives:

- Very boring main event build for the PPV with these very boring Danielson exhibition matches. I literally didn't watch 20 minutes of Dynamite this week for the first time in... geez... probably 2 years? Maybe a year? I can't remember the last time I was so bored that I didn't even want to see the finish so I tuned out and didn't come back until I heard Ruby's promo (I watch on a laptop, so I could hear the audio from another tab)

- When Danielson appeared, I realised I didn't feel at all interested in whatever MJF might do later. The story is very very boring and I don't want to see another minute of it until a week before the PPV.

- Danielson should listen to the doctor and stop wrestling these very boring exhibition matches where the outcome doesn't even have a 0.0001% of being different to what everyone expects lol. The story is "let's completely remove any semblance of a story to he can just wrestle randoms for 2 months when the outcome has already been promised for the PPV"

MJF and Danielson are 2 guys who are both supposedly super creative, so I'm disappointed that this is the best they can do for a PPV main event with a 3-month build. It's the worst PPV main event build in AEW history so far, I'm not anticipating anything interesting to actually happen in this storyline for the next 6 weeks. I predict the crowd will turn on Danielson - they need to avoid putting him after a women's segment since the 9.30pm women's story encourages the crowd to boo ex-WWE wrestlers... sigh. Can't wait for Punk to return and conclude his epic story with MJF.

#439 ·
I skipped past the Jericho stuff, so ready for him to get off my screen, I hope it happens sooner rather than later him and the JAS have become insufferable, Action Andretti does nothing for me, I love this serious version of Hangman, the Bryan exhibition matches are boring, Brian Cage is trash, Don't care about Ruby SoHo, the main event was perfect, RIP Jay.

#444 ·
Wasn’t a world beater show, but the Jay Briscoe package, mentions, and tribute match hit you in the feels, for sure. Hope to see Mark more on AEW — if he has the strength and energy to continue wrestling.

too many back to back to back matches with little to no steam behind them. It zaps my interest for the show and to see what’s coming next. They don’t all need to go 15 minutes.

We just saw Jack Perry beat Brian Cage last month (clean, IIRC), but someone of Bryan’s standing has to go the distance with him? Diminishes Bryan much more than it does inject any intrigue into Cage.

Hangman is a one note performer, it seems. His presentation is solid: long hair, good music, athletic looking and etc. but his promos? They’re all this melancholy, depressive drivel. Weird scene when Yuta just stepped in and accepted on behalf of Moxley.

#452 ·
I absolutely don’t trust Dave as a source. He got this from Tony/AEW, not WBD because he has no sources at the network and wouldn’t even bother to call to see if they’d confirm. He never does.

But if it is true, too bad Tony didn’t fight that fight while Jay was alive to try to get him on TV.

#463 ·
The past two episodes have been awful. MJF has been my least favorite champion so far. Same shit different week. Made no sense that nobody from BCC helped Danielson, but Takeshita did.

Some of the matches were good, but I feel no intrigue from stories. It really seems like AEW isn't even trying.

Next week is just a bunch of rematches or matches that aren't anything special.

AEW has been really disappointing

#464 ·
I only felt something when the main event hit. The rest of the show was boring. Some cold matches, cringe backstage segments that lead to fridays, overrated Tag team having daddy issues, big man being scared of a Tweetie bird faced Hook, Danielson having long matches that are extended versions of what we have already seen before, MJF playing tough guy week 2 while running away like a chicken to any babyface who enters the ring, Jericho’s existence, Action Andrade flipping everywhere. Yeah what not to like.

#467 ·
They need to get The Acclaimed out there in front of the crowd either wrestling or promos because they're really hot and they shouldn't cool down.

I liked the fact they have more involvement from MJF - I think having him on more and revolving the show around him will work better than a less is more approach.

Have no idea why you'd have a fresh heel in Storm get beaten by Ruby who lost any semblence of steam long ago regardless of Toni but there you are. A DMD appearance is always good though. However you know she's going to cut some babyface promo about homegrown AEW talents vs WWE or other promotions blah blah blah. Britt shouldn't give a shit about that.

Andretti / Ricky / JAS match wasn't too bad as it was just a showcase for Andretti. Doesn't hurt Ricky at all for Andretty ti take a pin and as long as he wins this feud all will be well. He CANNOT lose one on one to anyone at this rate, he's been on fire and the crowd's in to him.

#468 ·
There was no Cipperley so the show automatically gets a high grade. .

MJF as much as I love the guy, the storyline of jumping through hoops is boring. Danielson is having 15 minute matches, where the outcome is obvious. So it kills the match.

I'm sick to death of Darby Allin and Jungle boy they ain't pillars. Darby in particular annoys me.

When I think MJF said the pillars are Darby, Jungle boy and Sammy. Three out of the four I'm sick off.

Pillars should be MJF, Ricky Starks, Swerve and Powerhouse Hobbs.

#470 ·
Yknow, every time you post about Big Jim Cipperly an Angel (Ortiz) orders wings.

The pillar silliness is a
victim of both diminishing returns and overexposure. For something that likely originated in New Japan and All Japan it sure is a popular subject here. All Japan had it’s four pillars + a fifth pillar in Jun Akiyama. New Japan didn’t have pillars in their vocabulary. They called their foundational talent the Three Musketeers. The first consisted of Shinya Hashimoto, Masahiro Chono and everyone’s favourite oatmeal kneed, bald headed, spitter Keiji Muto/Great Muta.

They anointed new musketeers in the late 2000s back when the company was a total mess. The new trio was Shinsuke Nakamura, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Katsuyori Shibata.

Three of the AEW pillars have been here since opening night. Starks came a little later. They have been up and coming for almost four years at this point.

Suggestions for new pillars would be Wheeler Yuta, Daniel Garcia, Action Andretti and either Lee Moriarty or Dante Martin.

Whoever makes up the group it should definitely have Jade Cargill or maybe even Hook. Each AEW version started out quite unproven.

Hopefully the pillar problem is something left for Pro Wrestling Tees to market young stars in AEW. Any new edition of the group really won’t be pillars at this point in AEW’s lineage. The current pillars probably don’t care too much beyond how much money, ring time and screentime everyone receives in service to the twisted reality that is tucked deep in TK’s mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.