Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
#TeamCardcaptor and Oh... Still Music >>>> Wrestli
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The way he used to apply this move is a thing of beauty. It looks like it does hurt and much respect to the Snake.

Jake, The Snake, Roberts... what an awesome personality! He taught Undertaker the psychology behind wrestling and man, it was so damn effective.

Give me a Jake's DDT over anyone else's in today's wrestling. The way he does it feels so damn intense.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,297 Posts
It really is a thing of beauty watching Jake slam a DDT onto someone... Just so many little things he did, maybe even the way he uses his loose arm and adds that extra whip as he drops down... just puts some extra 'sizzle' on it...

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
What a pro. It was so great the way his DDT was so built up in to this thing that ended matches with no chance for the recipient. Virgil got quite a few lol.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Sant⛧nic Metal Music;76808876 said:

The way he used to apply this move is a thing of beauty. It looks like it does hurt and much respect to the Snake.

Jake, The Snake, Roberts... what an awesome personality! He taught Undertaker the psychology behind wrestling and man, it was so damn effective.

Give me a Jake's DDT over anyone else's in today's wrestling. The way he does it feels so damn intense.
The short clothesline was a great set up for him. His DDT is not just the greatest DDT by miles it is truly one of my favorite finishers of all time.

·
Under Jolly Roger
422 Posts
Him and Arn Anderson are the gold standard for DDTs. It's a shame that dropping someone on their head has now become a standard move.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Sick move. I also liked Taker's running DDT which looked quite devastating too. DDT should still be a move that ends matches.

Sent from a Potato while drinking my protein shake

Reactions: Piehound

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,802 Posts
My favorite DDT, with Gangrel's Impaler and Cactus Jack's Double-Arm DDT close behind.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Jake's DDT is the perfect example of how one could say, "simple is better".

All Jake did was apply a front face lock and in one quick fluid motion backdrop himself taking the opponent's head with him. The key is he just let gravity do the work. He didn't make it look forced or try to lift his opponent to bring the head down.

Also, he'd always pick the most "inopportune moments". That's the psychology part.

Nobody sold his DDT better than Ted DiBiase, btw. Watching him drop Ted was a thing of beauty, because Ted could sell like a champ.

This was also back in the days when you could beat a guy with a DDT because the move carried a rep of being too dangerous to use, with the piledriver being the same way. Finishers carried importance. When Jake dropped anybody, whether it was Undertaker or Savage or Steamboat on the concrete, or Rick Martel blindfolded, the feeling always was "damn, nobody's kicking out of that".

Because if anybody was able to kick out of that DDT, it was either a miracle or the guy was just stupid, because Jake was only going to make sure he'd drop you again.

The thrill sure is gone.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Him and Arn Anderson are the gold standard for DDTs. It's a shame that dropping someone on their head has now become a standard move.
One of the best DDT spots I have ever seen, I love how Alex Wright goes to duck Arn only for him to capitalize on Wright's mistake and DDT him.

Some wrestlers don't need a belt to get over and Jake was definitely one of those guys.

·
Premium Member
14,966 Posts
His DDT on Dark Journey in Mid South, tho...so amazing.

It sucks how that move has been devalued over the years and is, essentially, relegated to a mere "hope spot". That said, the one saving grace is when you look at how the DDT is used today, it's not really the same as Jake's and I'd like to tie it's devastating effects to who used it, as opposed to the move in general. Because aside from Jake & Arn (the two best DDT's, IMO), I don't think anybody does that "smack on the back" deal. That part of the DDT really enhances it for me. Without that, it's kind of meh.

One thing I don't like about modern DDT's is how the recipient..."rolls through", is what I guess what I'm trying to say. I think it looks so much better when the recipient lands face down (like Alex Wright in the GIF above) or the recipient pops up & rolls over after the point of impact (like how most people sell Ambrose's Dirty Deeds). But, rolling through and landing in an upright sitting position...nah, I'm not feeling that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts