Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Think about it does Brock really have to be in every show? He broke the streak, defeated Goldberg, Cena, Punk, Orton, Reigns, Styles, Bryan, Strowman, Joe, Balor, Triple H, Rollins etc. What has he got to prove if he appears every week? Wrestle Kofi or Ricochet again in a squash? He beat all the top tier talent already.

Also no one cares about the guys who are busting their ass every event because they aren’t the draws. They aren’t big enough of a attraction to fill Wrestlemania with a 80,000 crowd.

·
Registered
910 Posts
brock is literally booked for mania to make stars put over seth last year and will do the same for drew this year
I don't think I'd call going down only to multiple low blows putting Seth over. What's probably going to happen is that Drew is going to be in a bad match, win in a way that can be written off as a fluke and then put into a feud with Baron Corbin that kills his big babyface push entirely.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Seth looked like a star twice because of Lesnar. Once when he had the triple treat against Cena and Lesnar and the other was when he cashed in on the Reigns and Lesnar match. Both instances elevated him to main event status. Either way Rollins is a crappy wrestler to elevate into the mainevent. Drew and Lashley could’ve benefited from that rub far more effectively

Reactions: VForVendetta

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Mr T didn't work hard all year and yet he got mainevent of Wrestlemania 1
Andre had barely wrestled in a year and walked into mainevent of Wrestlemania 3
Slaughter hadn't worked in WWE for years yet was given WWF title and top match at Wrestlemania 7
Hogan hadn't worked WWF in a year but was given title and closing image of Wrestlemania 9

Those all happened when Jake was under contract to WWF (he might have been gone for 9 but regardless). I am sure Tatanka or Ric Martel worked hard throughout 92 but when push came to shove it was Hogan on top not the guys working hard day in day out that year.
And? Unless he was a booker at that time, that doesnt change anything that he's currently saying.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
how does working hard all year and not getting over grant you a main event match or a match on the card for one of the main titles? I dont care who do you wanna blame for that. the creative or wrestlers themselves. fact is a lot of them are just not over and are not on that main event level that Brock is. its like when Rock was wrestling Cena for the first time at WM28. you had guys like Dolph Ziggler being mad at The Rock for taking their spots. if Rock wasnt wrestling would Ziggler be main eventing WM against Cena that year or any other year? no fucking chance. Rock didnt take anybodys spot.
Pretend Brock is brand new. Give Brock geek booking. Treat Brock like Braun gets treated. The EXACT same booking Braun gets.

All of a sudden Brock isn't this special guy anymore.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Seth looked like a star twice because of Lesnar. Once when he had the triple treat against Cena and Lesnar and the other was when he cashed in on the Reigns and Lesnar match. Both instances elevated him to main event status. Either way Rollins is a crappy wrestler to elevate into the mainevent. Drew and Lashley could’ve benefited from that rub far more effectively
Lashley was pushed to moon in 2006-07 and didn't make a difference business wise. Why do you think suddenly a 45 year old lashley would?

Drew the jury is out on him. Why do you think he is better than Rollins. Rollins at least has been in and around mainevent since debuting in 2012 having worked Cena, Brock, Sting, HHH, Evolution, Reigns in high profile feuds and won most and held world title for an extended period prior to Wrestlemania 35.

Drew's push has come out of nowhere really, he was Shane's lackey only a few months ago. He debuted on main roster in 2007 but hasn't worked a ppv mainevent in singles capacity or beaten any decent name on ppv .

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Ive never understood this line of thinking. Its a business. You're there to make money. If some B list actor studies for a part for 5 months and puts his heart and soul into it, then right before filming Brad Pitt calls up the director and goes.."Hey, I want that role." Who do you think is getting the part? Its fake. Deserving and earning dont mean shit.
The problem with this thinking is that we all know sometimes things come down to how the booking is done and how WWE wants certain stars to be perceived. WWE always loves to brag about making big stars, but they have not done this since the Ruthless Aggression Era as Brock, Cena, and Batista all come from that era.

When WCW bought all the top stars why were people saying guys like Hogan were old and so on, yet he was a much bigger star than guys people said deserved a push in WCW? We know why there has to be some thought about giving spots to those who fight for it which is what created that magical era before this one today.

It also causes apathy with the roster not caring and in turn creating an average product. I don't have a problem with Brock, but that is down to WWE not making me actually care about most of the roster due to me believing these guys aren't real stars.

WWE depending on Lesnar and Goldberg in 2020 is pretty sad when you consider Lesnar and Goldberg were co-main event at WM 20 which I am actually watching as I type this on WWE Network lol.

Pretend Brock is brand new. Give Brock geek booking. Treat Brock like Braun gets treated. The EXACT same booking Braun gets.

All of a sudden Brock isn't this special guy anymore.
Ironically I'm watching WWE Network right now with Brock Ruthless Aggression documentary. It is funny that with Brock it's an interesting take due to his original run. Brock got built up as a monster and went to UFC off his image. Then from there WWE has just relied on this once they knew Cena was on his way out with failing miserably by botching Roman Reigns.

It's just WWE failing and the guys on the roster not being able to surpass Lesnar as the top star.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Take away his real-life respectable UFC run, and Brock is just another guy WWE fucked over. Ironically it's his accomplishments in another company that make him immune to the bad booking that kills everyone else. If only Braun had played bongo drums with Frank Mirs skull maybe a brother could get decent booking.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Ive never understood this line of thinking. Its a business. You're there to make money. If some B list actor studies for a part for 5 months and puts his heart and soul into it, then right before filming Brad Pitt calls up the director and goes.."Hey, I want that role." Who do you think is getting the part? Its fake. Deserving and earning dont mean shit.
That's not an accurate metaphor. Yes, wrestling is a business first and foremost. However, if you're going to adopt Kevin Nash's parasitic mentality of leeching off a promotion without doing jackshit, and--given his history of quad-tearings--are sidelined but still make money while in inactivity, that promotion goes down the drain (see: WCW.)

A smartly-operated promotion that avoids hiring all the Kevin Nashes and Brock Lesnars in the world and instead obtains a lesser-known but far more reliable guy like Lashley and pushes him as their top draw will undoubtedly gain a steady flow of income without risking heavy losses. Of course, WWE takes the complete opposite route, and suffers a financial slope during their part-timers' absences, all because they brainwashed the viewer into thinking Lesnar is more important than any marketable regular in their roster.

In short, a promotion's success highly depends on the top draw(s) adhering to a Quid Pro Quo mentality. Make big money for the company, and the company in turn offers you big payments. Simple as that.

·
Hardcore Casual
804 Posts
That's the problem though... You can't equate being an actor on a movie set for 6 weeks to a wrestler on the road 52 weeks. An actor loses a role, no biggie a new film starts next week. Wrestling is a physical grind even if the punches are fake and they should be given what they worked for all year, not given to somebody that doesn't spike anything. People don't suddenly order Wrestlemaina because "Famous Guy #3 is gonna be on" That's like saying Bigelow vs LT to main event over HBK vs Diesel was a good idea.
I like both comparisons. One highlights the fact that as a primarily entertainment-driven product, the top spots are generally reserved for the biggest draws and not necessarily the most talented athletes (but who is claiming Brock isn't a superior athlete anyway?). The other highlights the demands made of fulltime wrestlers more akin to athletes.

My metaphor's going to be a serialized television show. These actors are expected to be there for many, many hours, for weeks on end, most times with lesser earning power than Big Screen actors. Then suppose once a year the writers paid a Hollywood actor 10x as much money as their regulars and geeked out the characters. Cameos usually don't work like that. They get paid a lot but they're usually organically worked into the script so as not to purposely upstage the regulars, but instead give a "rub." Beyond poor morale, such writing runs the risk of making your weekly shows and regular actors seem boring and irrelevant. Reminding your audience a few times a year that your weekly product is so obviously inferior to past stars and cameo appearances, and you become a self-fulfilling prophecy: people will buy into your once-a-year marketing blitz, but will also view your weekly product as shit. And that's exactly what has happened in WWE.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There are obviously going to be droves of people on here that hate Brock, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with how he’s used or booked for that matter - character-wise.

The issue is with Vince’s insistence on putting the title on him. Every time Brock shows up, it feels like a bigger deal. He still has an aura, he routinely puts on good matches, and he puts guys over when he needs to.

The issue is when you have 3, 4, 5, or more guys that are treated like him, as well, show up less often, and can’t still work. Taker and Goldberg being the chief perpetrators. Neither one of them can work any longer and just needlessly squash people, and they don’t provide anything beneficial at all long term.
Puts "guys" over? Who did Brock put over besides Rollins?

I doubt there are five people on the roster that has the balls to go up to Lesnar and say, "I'm taking your spot." real sport or no. They're all tough on social media calling Brock out (and others) when they're miles away, but far as I know Jericho is the only one ballsy enough to go up to Lesnar with an issue after the Randy incident.

On the topic of the wrestlers being actors who, dare I ask, has the physical presence of a guy like Lesnar or a guy like Goldberg as old as he is where your eyes are drawn to them the moment they come out. As a booker or Vince himself who woud you honestly put in the top spot on your top show of the year? I for sure would not put Zack Ryder in that spot or Baron Corbin despite me being a non-ironic fan of his going back to his NXT days.
Braun could easily be doing what Lesnar is doing full time. Let's not act like Lesnar is the only physical specimen in WWE.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Just watched Beyond the Mat and any respect for Jake the Snake Roberts that I had are gone. Really could care less about what he says or does.

·
Wrestling is better while drinking
1,904 Posts
So if Brock wrestles more and keeps winning we get another version of Super Cena or HHH burying everybody. Just people hating him for a different reason. He has the right idea, let them hate him while he relaxes at home. Plus I think he has health issues that really stop him from a lot of travel.

·
Registered
161 Posts
He's not wrong but it's nothing new. Hogan was allowed to wrestle when he wanted in the 80's in WWF and in the 90's in WWF and WCW. The problem with WWE is they can't create new superstars. That's why every Wrestlemania they get desperate and let part-timers have an important match so they can get the casual fan to go "oh Undertaker is wrestling" or "Goldberg is wrestling" on and on and they buy the PPV or sign up for WWE Network.

I like guys like Drew McIntyre and Seth Rollins but are they going to bring in a new wrestling boom? Not even close.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts