Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWE Hall of Famer and current AEW manager Jake Roberts was asked about his thoughts on “The Beast” Brock Lesnar being the WWE Champion.

“The thing about Brock is he’s not an everyday wrestler. He’s a once-a-year guy or three-times-a-year guy. To me, you’re really treating your talent like sh*t every year, come WrestleMania time, after these guys have busted their asses for 365 days, when it comes to the big one, they bring him in and they have to sit out.”

·
Registered
932 Posts
Uh. He must be referring to Cena, Taker or Goldberg either that or hes exaggerating . Lesnar wrestles at least every month for every PPV pretty much. But yeah I'd like to see a champion who wrestles on their brand which brock never seems to do.

·
Registered
12,714 Posts
At this point it guess beyond talent moral. There's no way to make every one happy. But at this point it's just bad business and really starting to take it's tole.

Why should anyone watch eleven months of the year when come April WWe's telling you none of it mattered? Why should the audience invest in any of the wrestlers when they're just going to be jobbed out and made the fool?

The "Big Fight Atmosphere" is important in wrestling but one show can't come at the expense of the whole year nor the whole roster.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
how does working hard all year and not getting over grant you a main event match or a match on the card for one of the main titles? I dont care who do you wanna blame for that. the creative or wrestlers themselves. fact is a lot of them are just not over and are not on that main event level that Brock is. its like when Rock was wrestling Cena for the first time at WM28. you had guys like Dolph Ziggler being mad at The Rock for taking their spots. if Rock wasnt wrestling would Ziggler be main eventing WM against Cena that year or any other year? no fucking chance. Rock didnt take anybodys spot.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,149 Posts
Ive never understood this line of thinking. Its a business. You're there to make money. If some B list actor studies for a part for 5 months and puts his heart and soul into it, then right before filming Brad Pitt calls up the director and goes.."Hey, I want that role." Who do you think is getting the part? Its fake. Deserving and earning dont mean shit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Wrestler's are actors, sort of. It's athletic, convincing, but it's not a sport in the sense that they're truly competing. For eg. It's not the same as a boxer who goes 40 fights undefeated and still doesn't get his shot at the WBO title. Wrestler's don't have this right to become champion because they "busted their ass" 300 plus days a year. This isn't legitimate sport. It isn't a meritocracy in the same way that competitive sports is. They're actors, plain and simple. There is no right to a leading role. You're either cast the leading role or you're not.

Wrestler's and entitlement based on work ethic has to go. You're not owed the title; you're not owed Mania. End of.

·
Registered
11,765 Posts
Mr T didn't work hard all year and yet he got mainevent of Wrestlemania 1
Andre had barely wrestled in a year and walked into mainevent of Wrestlemania 3
Slaughter hadn't worked in WWE for years yet was given WWF title and top match at Wrestlemania 7
Hogan hadn't worked WWF in a year but was given title and closing image of Wrestlemania 9

Those all happened when Jake was under contract to WWF (he might have been gone for 9 but regardless). I am sure Tatanka or Ric Martel worked hard throughout 92 but when push came to shove it was Hogan on top not the guys working hard day in day out that year.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
There are obviously going to be droves of people on here that hate Brock, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with how he’s used or booked for that matter - character-wise.

The issue is with Vince’s insistence on putting the title on him. Every time Brock shows up, it feels like a bigger deal. He still has an aura, he routinely puts on good matches, and he puts guys over when he needs to.

The issue is when you have 3, 4, 5, or more guys that are treated like him, as well, show up less often, and can’t still work. Taker and Goldberg being the chief perpetrators. Neither one of them can work any longer and just needlessly squash people, and they don’t provide anything beneficial at all long term.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I doubt there are five people on the roster that has the balls to go up to Lesnar and say, "I'm taking your spot." real sport or no. They're all tough on social media calling Brock out (and others) when they're miles away, but far as I know Jericho is the only one ballsy enough to go up to Lesnar with an issue after the Randy incident.

On the topic of the wrestlers being actors who, dare I ask, has the physical presence of a guy like Lesnar or a guy like Goldberg as old as he is where your eyes are drawn to them the moment they come out. As a booker or Vince himself who woud you honestly put in the top spot on your top show of the year? I for sure would not put Zack Ryder in that spot or Baron Corbin despite me being a non-ironic fan of his going back to his NXT days.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Brock "Part time" Lesnar, but that's not the case any more, back in the day WM had like 8-10 matches, more recently they have like 12-16 matches so plenty of room to fit everyone on the card, yes he is taking up a main event spot, but guys are still getting paid to be on the card they aren't just "sitting out".

·
Registered
377 Posts
Uh. He must be referring to Cena, Taker or Goldberg either that or hes exaggerating . Lesnar wrestles at least every month for every PPV pretty much. But yeah I'd like to see a champion who wrestles on their brand which brock never seems to do.
Brock wrestles every ppv??? In 2018 (4 ppvs & 2 Saudi) in 2019 (6 ppvs & 1 Saudi). Jake's point was the lazy shit isn't on the road 52 weeks, so he does deserve the main spot, especially at Maina

·
Registered
932 Posts
Brock wrestles every ppv??? In 2018 (4 ppvs & 2 Saudi) in 2019 (6 ppvs & 1 Saudi). Jake's point was the lazy shit isn't on the road 52 weeks, so he does deserve the main spot, especially at Maina
You got me there man. I guess I fucked up the same way Jake did 😄 I definitely see his point though.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wrestler's are actors, sort of. It's athletic, convincing, but it's not a sport in the sense that they're truly competing. For eg. It's not the same as a boxer who goes 40 fights undefeated and still doesn't get his shot at the WBO title. Wrestler's don't have this right to become champion because they "busted their ass" 300 plus days a year. This isn't legitimate sport. It isn't a meritocracy in the same way that competitive sports is. They're actors, plain and simple. There is no right to a leading role. You're either cast the leading role or you're not.

Wrestler's and entitlement based on work ethic has to go. You're not owed the title; you're not owed Mania. End of.
That's the problem though... You can't equate being an actor on a movie set for 6 weeks to a wrestler on the road 52 weeks. An actor loses a role, no biggie a new film starts next week. Wrestling is a physical grind even if the punches are fake and they should be given what they worked for all year, not given to somebody that doesn't spike anything. People don't suddenly order Wrestlemaina because "Famous Guy #3 is gonna be on" That's like saying Bigelow vs LT to main event over HBK vs Diesel was a good idea.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts