Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· C Mac G
6,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shouldn't that be a DQ...
MMA rules are so strange, almost as strange as pro-wrestling reffing. It's up to the referee's discretion, and there really are no unified guidelines they follow. People get eye poked repeatedly, and only get a warning, same for nut shots, illegal blows etc.

This nut shot was REALLY bad, hard knee right to the groin so they just ended the fight as a no contest.

· Registered
37,516 Posts
For wrestling it's great. Sell as so crazy and vicious he almost got DQ'd in a MMA fight. But for his MMA career it was telling her couldn't get his wrestling off easily once he fought somebody of similar stature and skill. Though his strength was on point.
Shouldn't that be a DQ...
Only if it's seen as intentional, he was going for knees to the inner thigh and midsection so shit happens with an inexperienced fighter.

· Registered
127 Posts
Who can ever see this as a negative?

This is the best ever possible result for a heel MMA guy - the press alone

Just imagine the Y2J promo :lenny

This is perfect

It almost sounds like a work. It's perfect from a wrestling perspective. I'd argue this would get more publicity than a win would. Can't wait for the Jericho promo about this

· Fearless University Graduate
Fearless University Graduate
24,871 Posts
This was a better result than a straight up win for Hager, in regards to his Pro Wrestling career.

If he just won, then thats just another win, which is impressive dont get me wrong. But they can work this into his heel character in AEW, rather they can sell this as part of his AEW character.

· Registered
1,134 Posts
MMA rules are so strange, almost as strange as pro-wrestling reffing. It's up to the referee's discretion, and there really are no unified guidelines they follow. People get eye poked repeatedly, and only get a warning, same for nut shots, illegal blows etc.

This nut shot was REALLY bad, hard knee right to the groin so they just ended the fight as a no contest.
I'm an MMA Coach with fighters who does a lot of communication with comissoners, promoters, matchmakers, and other coaches and this is wrong. There are Unified Rules that are used, they are outdated but they are still in use. Now there are occasions where they are ignored depending on the promoter/promotion and in isolated cases by the referee. It also depends on the State Athletic Commissions, some are more picky and some are more lenient on how closely those Unified Rules are followed. Where I live they are pretty strict about weight classes and in ring rules but are lax about female fighter gear.

As far as low blows, what is supposed to happen is they are to check the condition of the struck fighter to make sure they are still coherent then determine if it was purposeful or inadvertant. It's hard to gauge intent sometimes so 95% of the time it is determined inadvertant. Once that is done they will then talk to his corner/camp to see if the fighter can or should continue, sometimes they involve the ring doctor. After deliberation the corner and fighter will confirm whether they want to continue or not and tell the referee (and possibly doctor) who will then make the final call on whether they will allow it or not. If everyone is in agreement that it will continue then the struck fighter will get a 2 minute rest (this can vary slightly depending on the foul and the commission) and the fight will restart. If not, well then you get a result like this.

· Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
5,972 Posts
Did anyone watch the whole fight? If so how was Hager doing up until the nut shots?
It looked pretty even for the short time it was on, I thought. They both connected a few shots. Garrett looked like he might have been leaking a bit from the left eye area.

The groin shots did look inadvertent — Hager was pretty clearly going for the inner thigh. But I’ve never seen anybody go down and stay down like that before after the last shot — he might need some major suction to pull his sack back down from his rib cage.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.