Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sescoops.com/jack-swagger-interview-wwe-dutch-mantel/

A good read for Swagger fans. I won't quote the whole piece because it's long. Dutch Mantel is credited with creating the "We The People" slogan:

The “We The People” is such a cool story. We just so happened to be in Nashville where Dutch lives a couple of weeks after the Elimination Chamber where I beat Randy to go on to WrestleMania with Alberto. They were looking for a mouthpiece for me and they say I can’t talk (but I think I am doing just fine) so being in Nashville and I think it was Hunter’s idea to bring him in and they had Dutch do a couple of promos on video and would play it for Vince later in the day. He did one or two and on the third one he added in “We The People” at the end and everybody when he said that to close it were like; “WOW”. When he said it, it was just one of those moments where you get goosebumps and it was just something that Dutch and his brilliant mind had just thrown in there and event though he didn’t say it in the first two promos he said it in that third one and when Vince watched it he said that’s my guy. So you can add “We The People” to the long list of brilliant things that Dutch has come up with.”

If you want to listen to the entire 1 hour interview, go here: Two Man Power Trip of Wrestling

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool to hear. Dutch and Swagger were a very good combo.
It sounds like the separating of that pairing is when Swagger believes his momentum started to ebb:

“The main thing was my contract wasn’t up until January ’18 and they picked up an option (which they only had the option for) I didn’t have any control over it and they picked it up and extended it for another year. The timing of when they did that was when they took Dutch (Zeb Colter) away from me and put him with Alberto, so it was kind of like a two-fold punch in the face...“It wasn’t the tipping point, it was just another thing added on to the long list of the same thing of where it is very hard to get momentum going and it is even harder to be natural like “We The People” had become.

·
TONI POR TODO!
4,544 Posts
I always thought Swagger would have been more over if he would have used ''home of the brave'' as his catchphrase instead of ''we the people''.

Reactions: blackholeson

·
Scarring the Night Sky
5,480 Posts
Yeah, WWE cut Swagger's legs off. He and Zeb were a fairly strong duo. WWE definitely squandered their potential.
Typical WWE to not pursue something that's getting over with potential (Wade Barrett is another good example) while trying desperately to make something work when it's outright rejected by the fans.

60,001 Posts
Typical WWE to not pursue something that's getting over with potential (Wade Barrett is another good example) while trying desperately to make something work when it's outright rejected by the fans.

Barrett is another good example. WWE leaves a trail of what could have beens with so many talents. You would think that they would want to maximize the potential of all their talent.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Big Swagger fan and wish WWE used him better, but look forward to his future. He could always be back in WWE before he's done, never know.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,340 Posts
We the people is a great catchphrase.

Real Americans were one of the best tag teams I seen, sadly they broke them up. Even as heels in Europe etc they got people to say "We the people!".

WWE really dropped the ball on Swagger, the Real Americans and were dumb to put Zeb with Del Rio.

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,688 Posts
Interesting interview and I have more respect for Swagger. Knowing full well I am one of a few Swagger fans in this forum. He and Dutch came up with "We The People" gains major props for me because it became popular with the fans and when he broke into a face role character, he even got more popular during his feud with Rusev. Another wasted potential and I will follow Jack Swagger where ever he goes.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Go watch the old Smokey Mountain Wrestling on WWE Netwrok...

I didn't realize this cause I was still a newb ono pre-90's wrestling, nor in non-WWE from 90's and 00's, and I had no idea who Colter was, and when I saw this Dutch guy on Commentary at Smokey Mountain, I was like OMFG is that the We the People guy....

He really is one of the great minds of wrestling dating back to well before he was a big success in WWE. I even think he wrestled at some point, but he definitely has a lineage of being a great mouth in WWE, super underated, but on same level of Cornette and shit. Hell Cornette is in the Smokey Mountain Wrestling videos with Dutch Mantel!!!

GO WATCH NOW!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
another big, safe,legit looking wrestler wasted by WWE because of some 'he cant talk' bullshit.

the list is lengthening...

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
He would've gone over ADR at Mania if he didn't get arrested.

Big fan of Swagger, legit talent. Wasted potential.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts