41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Thats not the case.

IWC also hates the Vanilla Midget in Finn Balor.
IWC hates everyone. The more pushed someone is, the more vocal the haters become. The only person who has actually managed to escape this is AJ Styles and thats only because he is phenomenal in every aspect that most haters can't say a bad thing about it. But once in a while, these people will pop up saying something irrelevent about his size or promo ability desperately trying to start hate towards him.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Why do so many in the IWC hate wrestlers that aren't roided up meatheads? See, this mythical IWC isn't just one point of view. It's everybody that posts about wrestling, indy dickheads, annoying weeaboos, and anti-smark douches alike.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
i think the issue works both ways as others have said, some dismiss the bigger muscled guys whilst others dismiss the smaller guys. both usually without substance behind it

take strowman, he was literally dismissed the moment he came on tv without anyone having a chance to see him work. The same happened with Gallagher for those who hadnt watched him before

depending on stance people simply won't give things a chance and come across as fucking idiots

I'm more a fan of power guys that are usually bigger in stature but it isnt the be all and end all

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
Right, first of all enough with the IWC crap, its the 2017 and you're using the internet, pretty much EVERYONE uses the internet so it isn't a select group of people. Now as for people who rebel against any wrestler who looks the part, that's just crap. You wanna use Roman Reigns as an example, the fans wanted Bryan, they wanted the ultimate comeback story of a guy who had to relinquish the title due to injury and fought to come back but instead they got Roman Reigns, a guy who had had 1 singles PPV match and was still green. Also you wanna talk about Strowman, he's practically been the most over guy on RAW these past few months but when he came to the WWE he was absolutely shit, but you know what, HE IMPROVED (which is more than what I can say about the current WWE Champion) and people are entertained by him and some are looking forward to seeing him vs Lesnar. Also I just wanna point out to people saying only people the this so called look can draw. People have their favourites, some people get into wrestling to see guys like Will O'Spreay do flippy shit because they love watching it (not to mention him vs Ricochet has gained more press than any WWE match recently). If someone doesn't like a certain wrestler that's fine, I don't like Jinder at all because he isn't very good in the ring but that's what I look for first, in-ring talent.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Right, first of all enough with the IWC crap, its the 2017 and you're using the internet, pretty much EVERYONE uses the internet so it isn't a select group of people. Now as for people who rebel against any wrestler who looks the part, that's just crap. You wanna use Roman Reigns as an example, the fans wanted Bryan, they wanted the ultimate comeback story of a guy who had to relinquish the title due to injury and fought to come back but instead they got Roman Reigns, a guy who had had 1 singles PPV match and was still green. Also you wanna talk about Strowman, he's practically been the most over guy on RAW these past few months but when he came to the WWE he was absolutely shit, but you know what, HE IMPROVED (which is more than what I can say about the current WWE Champion) and people are entertained by him and some are looking forward to seeing him vs Lesnar. Also I just wanna point out to people saying only people the this so called look can draw. People have their favourites, some people get into wrestling to see guys like Will O'Spreay do flippy shit because they love watching it (not to mention him vs Ricochet has gained more press than any WWE match recently). If someone doesn't like a certain wrestler that's fine, I don't like Jinder at all because he isn't very good in the ring but that's what I look for first, in-ring talent.
if the iwc isnt a hivemind why does everyone who offers an opinion that goes against the consensus on here get labelled a troll?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your idea of an "athlete" is just wrong mate. Go watch kickboxing or even some MMA and you'll see plenty of people with Punk's size and body shape.
So the "best in the world" boxer, kickboxer and MMA fighter today looked like most of your neighbours or CM Punk when he was the WWE Champion?

Now if you think my idea of an "athlete" is someone that has to resemble a bodybuilder in any way shape or form then get that thought of your head because that is not what I said.

Smarks laugh at Finn Balor for being too skinny and I actually dont find anything wrong with his look.

Its a closed minded approach that athletes have to only look a certain way and if you think that way then I'm sorry but I think you're just very closeminded on the situation.
Athletes and actors portraying badass fighters should look like they have seen the inside of a gym somewhat, especially in a scripted environment. It helps to suspend disbelief. And no, I am not saying KO or anyone else necessarily has to look shredded.

Oh yeah btw, out of shape guys can stay, we still need jabronis too.

And it is definitely not more important than wrestling ability.

Dude, if you prefer look over wrestling abilty, why watch wrestling in the firs place? We got Mr, Universe contests for that and some of that are great with the mic.
Show me where in my post I said the look is more important than wrestling ability?

It is my opinion that the look is not any less important than wrestling ability, but not necessarily more important either. I never liked the Ultimate Warrior or other wrestlers who are pure body and nothing else.

·
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Thro
9,310 Posts
hate on a heel who looks like a credible athlete that can hurt someone, and who actually tried to get heel heat.
Lol, it's not like people are hating on '99 Scott Steiner. They are hating on Jinder Mahal. And it's not because he's an effective heel and has a great body, like Steiner was. It's because Jinder Mahal is a turd with nothing else going for him except his physique. Even that is offset by those horrid backne and bitchtits.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Everyone should keep in mind that..The heavyweight division in mixed martial arts (MMA) generally groups fighters between 206–265 lb (93.4–120.2 kg)... Wikipedia...Also there have been smaller guys than that fighting in heavyweight division.

Most of the guys people think are too small go above 205, or are just slightly smaller. Surely there are some big guys like Brock in MMA, but most of the guys are not so mucular. Jinder bodytype is very rare, even Sami Zayn type is more common.

Its a matter of skills in real fighting as it is in sports entertainment. The problem is sometimes how the matches are booked. They make the smaller guy look silly.

I have nothing against big guys, but they need to have skills too. Some of these big guys Vince have been booking strong actually look very unrealistic, and would probably get their asses kicked in real fighting against the smaller guys.

·
Asuka
96,550 Posts
There is no hive mind called the "IWC". It's 2017, if you watch wrestling, you're on the Internet. Fans are different. Dean Ambrose and CM Punk have been hated on a ton because they "look like bums", and Jinder Mahal and Roman Reigns have been hated for "the look". Meanwhile, Seth Rollins has the look as much as pretty much anybody and he is, or at least was hugely popular when he was getting a bigger push. There's no hate on Brock for looking the part (Other reasons, sure, but never the look). There's no hate on Braun Strowman for looking the part.

If you want to know why there's a strong correlation between physique and fan resentment, the reason is simple. People who don't have the look have to work 10 times harder to get half the attention that a guy like Randy Orton gets. A guy like Baron Corbin never has to worry about anything because he's tall, all he has to do to ensure he keeps getting pushed is not constantly injure the people he's in the ring with. Beyond that, he's got a free pass. A guy like Owens has to work for what he has, and he's 10x as good at his job than the guy with the look, because there's no incentive to get better when the boss bases his opinion of you on physical appearance. Every now and then you get a rare guy like The Rock who has the attributes that both the fans and the company are looking for, but more than not, it all comes down to this unending chess game between the 1 guy with all the power and a desperate need to prove that he's the only one in the room who knows what's good for you, whether you know it or not, and the millions of people who have a small amount of influence at best if they apply enough pressure.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It doesn't surprise me... Jinder was positioned for a push for awhile. His pairing with Rusev was totally a set up for his push. The superstar shake up was totally meant to position him for this. They'd been planning this for awhile

People complaining that the push came from nowhere weren't paying attention.

As for myself... I'm willing to see where this goes. If a new star gets built out of this... all the better for it.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Some of you totally missed the point about guys looking the part. I used Jinder as a example because many of the IWC hater is about his body. However when he use to look like a average Joe many use to complain that him and the 3MB was held back and book like jobbers. Hogan look the part, Flair look the part, Warrior look the part, Mr. Perfect, Hart, Michaels, and many more. All those guys look the part for this new era looks like they don't hit the gym at all or either fit their gimmick.

You have a guy like Owens who suppose to be a prize fighter. A prize fighter doesn't have to necessarily be a roid head you know the term you neck beard haters use against any guy with a nice body. He has to look the part of a star which many of some of your favorites don't have. If Owens if a prize fighting heel he should be going in their kicking ass. Instead we have a guy not only who looks like a couch potato go in the ring and does flippy shit looking for the approval of the crowd. This other guy Aister Black from nxt who suppose to be some sinister dark character that everyone should be afraid of. It's bad enough he small as hell (Finn Balor you have a future opponent) but he does flippy shit too and suppose to be a heel. He don't look the part of this character and don't carry himself as such either.

·
Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,531 Posts
People get the idea of having "the look" means automatically you have to be a big bodybuilder. Having "the look" means that your looks sticks with people and is memorable and attractive (in terms of bringing eyes to yourself). This guy has "the look":

This is "a look":

Everyone has "a look" but only a small few have "the look".

The real problem lies in how everyone presents their look. If your look doesn't correlate to your gimmick, then people will see through you. There's a reason people call Owens too fat or Balor too small but let Mark Henry and CM Punk slide. It's all about how you present yourself and incorporate your size into your gimmick. I would tolerate Balor more if he had a Spiderman-like gimmick. As himself in his current state, he's a jobber that belongs on 205 Live imo. There are fans that literally hate bodybuilder type wrestlers with a passion just because they're that kind of wrestler. I literally seen someone on Facebook admit that he was one. Personally, I'm a fan of The Miz, Moose, Strowman, Brian Cage, and Rampage. All of these wrestlers are different sizes, but I'm a fan of how they present themselves. Balor would straight up wrestle a super heavyweight despite his size while The Miz would avoid said super heavyweight face to face and use tactics to win. That's all the proof you need right there.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
So the "best in the world" boxer, kickboxer and MMA fighter today looked like most of your neighbours or CM Punk when he was the WWE Champion?

Now if you think my idea of an "athlete" is someone that has to resemble a bodybuilder in any way shape or form then get that thought of your head because that is not what I said.

Smarks laugh at Finn Balor for being too skinny and I actually dont find anything wrong with his look.

Athletes and actors portraying badass fighters should look like they have seen the inside of a gym somewhat, especially in a scripted environment. It helps to suspend disbelief. And no, I am not saying KO or anyone else necessarily has to look shredded.

Oh yeah btw, out of shape guys can stay, we still need jabronis too.

Show me where in my post I said the look is more important than wrestling ability?

It is my opinion that the look is not any less important than wrestling ability, but not necessarily more important either. I never liked the Ultimate Warrior or other wrestlers who are pure body and nothing else.
Actually yeah. They pretty much looked like CM Punk.

Look, the fact of the matter is, the very best athletes and sportsmen in the world don't necessarily stand out to people at first glance. I mean look at Fedor Emalianenko for example. One of the best heavyweight fighters of all time, but looked like an average fat guy if you never knew who he was prior.

Just get rid of this image that all athletes need to be jacked up tall guys because its not true. Its just an idea you might've gotten because of WWE. Again, what you're talking about is a larger than life aura, something which exists less and isn't as obvious for smaller guys. But theres more to it than size. Go look up someone like Marty Scurll and at 5 foot 10, less than 200 pounds he is larger than life. Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio were larger than life. Maybe not as easily marketable, but don't deny they were larger than life. The only people who don't think that are the ones who dismiss these guys intantly because of their small size which is a damn shame because of how talented they are and as I said vey close minded.

I guess you are entitled to your own opinion, but saying look is anywhere more important then wrestlong is just laughable to me. You fan say mic work, presence and charisma is more important than wrestling then I'd buy it. But look alone is completely useless without any of the others and if you deny this I'd have to question yur sexuality. While the others, if you're absolutely amazing at wrestling or something epse and you don't have the look then he is entertaining to me. Its not my fault you refuse to be entertained by someone who doesn't meet your false idea of an athlete.

·
Registered
926 Posts
The rebellion comes from, and justifiably so, is when someone is pushed and all they have going for them is their body. A good look helps, but its one of the few ingredients that wrestlers need to be successful and over with the crowd. There's a reason why Hogan and Warrior are legends and Dino Bravo and Hercules aren't despite them having just as impressive physiques. Of all the monsters that debuted around 2003, there's a reason why Brock Lesnar was successful and Matt Morgan, Nathan Jones and Heidenreich weren't. Brock had the look, but he could also work and in my opinion he was good on the mic in those days.

The argument seems to be "the casuals". Unless you're a bodybuilder or have interest in it, how muscular a wrestler is makes no difference to anyone. If it did Vince's WBF would've been a goldmine. It was basically the same tried and true formula that has worked in wrestling, MMA, and Boxing where rivalries are created between characters and they settle it in the WBF's case in a bodybuilding contest. It tanked and Vince lost millions.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts