Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't understand how one of the most strongest booked heels was ''ruined'' and WWE gets all the blame, yes he lose with Cena ( almost a year ago btw ) but the problem after a Cena feud it's not losing but being jobbed the fuck out after hes done with you like Barret and Miz, after that feud Wyatt remained booked strong, imo the guy it's ruining himself at no capitalizing his wins more and let his act become stale, WWE could give Wyatt a win over Taker and I'm sure he not gonna suddenly become better or more entertaining.

·
The Blue Meanie
15,837 Posts
The biggest issue with Wyatt is that he gave one rambling promo after another and never backed up his words. And just how many people does he need to "save?"

I don't see him beating Taker at WM 31. Unless Taker doesn't mind jobbing two years in a row. Even then, I'm not sure how much of a rub Wyatt would get since the streak is gone and Undertaker isn't active full time, only making sporadic appearances.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Rotunda. I used to be a huge fan of Wyatt, so I'll explain why I've changed my mind on the gimmick:

Listening to any Rotunda interview, it becomes clear that he is given a lot of creative freedom by WWE to develop his own act and pretty much say whatever he wants to within the scope of his character.

He is writing his own monologues, not WWE. And there lies the problem.

Wyatt the character does not back up his words. He dos not act on the things he says. He is not what he claims to be. This is style with no substance, for a gimmick that is supposed to be all about substance and depth of character, there is none.

This lack of depth of character would not matter with most gimmicks. But because the apparent depth (and conviction of beliefs) is the gimmick, it falls flat. His words become repetitions of the week before, and nothing materializes or develops.

I've said it before, for a man that is clearly well informed when it comes to conspiracies and cult leadership, he should be evolving his character slowly through a range of cult-inspired leaders, and he should be touching upon other aspects of conspiracy to keep alive the freshness of gimmick. It's like he has ran out of ideas and it's a shame.

Don't get me wrong, what he does now still works for him, he is one of the best if not the best talker out there at the moment, but that's because of Rotunda's talent. As far as Wyatt is concerned there seems to be something missing from that character which is stopping him developing.

Perhaps if we met Sister Abigail or if there was some actual backbone to his story and why he is like this, we could become excited again. For now I believe he is unfortunately standing still even though I know he is talented enough to move forwards.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
Well, it certainly did derail his momentum. To go from a clean victory over the hottest babyface in the company at the Royal Rumble, to he and his Family defeating The Shield in a clean manner at Elimination Chamber, to then being treated as just another "villain of the week" for Cena to overcome is pretty shoddy booking, to say the least. The one victory he did get over Cena wasn't even by pinfall but by escaping a steel cage, and that was only allowed to happen after three people interfered and caused distraction on Wyatt's behalf.

To say that Cena "ruined" him is stupid, but they clearly didn't handle his momentum the best way, hence why they split apart the entire family and gave what felt like a fresh start for all three of them.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I just don't understand how one of the most strongest booked heels was ''ruined'' and WWE gets all the blame, yes he lose with Cena ( almost a year ago btw ) but the problem after a Cena feud it's not losing but being jobbed the fuck out after hes done with you like Barret and Miz, after that feud Wyatt remained booked strong, imo the guy it's ruining himself at no capitalizing his wins more and let his act become stale, WWE could give Wyatt a win over Taker and I'm sure he not gonna suddenly become better or more entertaining.
The part I put in bold is what, I feel, people are commenting on when they say WWE are ruining him. WWE tell him what they want him to say and how they want him to act, even if how he gets there is his own way.

I think it's all kneejerk anyway. The initial impact he made on the main roster had to simmer to accommodate other factors, and in the time lost to poor feuds (I can't think of any other than The Wyatt Family VS The Shield, that jump out to me as being exciting), familiarity twinned with repetitive promo-work and booking have poured ice on his fire. Familiarity is a big one, fans are used to seeing him. We are, nothing he can do now surprised us like it first did, his promo style is still repetitive even if entertaining, his in ring style and mannerisms are too, and with WWE at the stage of attempting to make new stars in at least Rollins and Reigns and focusing on the development of other talent, whilst also accommodating Cena, Bryan, Orton, Brock and Punk in the main event picture, Wyatt has had to take a form of a back seat and that had to be expected, but it did seem like fans began to turn on his direction, as well as some not enjoying the character anymore.

He's still in his 20s, only about 25 when he debuted on Raw as Bray, they know they have the time and will use it to develop him further. If his feud with Undertaker for Wrestlemania happens then that's huge.

You can't really make everyone happy, and even though Wyatt's booking hasn't been exceptional, it's been steady if not exciting, and barring poor feuds they have done well to actually keep the character relevant this long.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Rotunda. I used to be a huge fan of Wyatt, so I'll explain why I've changed my mind on the gimmick:

Listening to any Rotunda interview, it becomes clear that he is given a lot of creative freedom by WWE to develop his own act and pretty much say whatever he wants to within the scope of his character.

Wyatt the character does not back up his words. He dos not act on the things he says. He is not what he claims to be. This is style with no substance, for a gimmick that is supposed to be all about substance and depth of character, there is none.

This lack of depth of character would not matter with most gimmicks. But because the apparent depth (and conviction of beliefs) is the gimmick, it falls flat. His words become repetitions of the week before, and nothing materializes or develops.

I've said it before, for a man that is clearly well informed when it comes to conspiracies and cult leadership, he should be evolving his character slowly through a range of cult-inspired leaders, and he should be touching upon other aspects of conspiracy to keep alive the freshness of gimmick. It's like he has ran out of ideas and it's a shame.

Don't get me wrong, what he does now still works for him, he is one of the best if not the best talker out there at the moment, but that's because of Rotunda's talent. As far as Wyatt is concerned there seems to be something missing from that character which is stopping him developing.

Perhaps if we met Sister Abigail or if there was some actual backbone to his story and why he is like this, we could become excited again. For now I believe he is unfortunately standing still even though I know he is talented enough to move forwards.
This. He needs new ideas and a meaningful feud. If he does end up facing Taker at Mania, then I'm hoping there will be a lot more intense promos etc. He's only 27 and has years and years ahead of him, I just hope he improves his character sometime soon as he can only go so far with the same material.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think the biggest mistake they made was breaking up the Wyatt Family. To the point made earlier, although the promos he cuts are brilliant, the words are hollow. At least when he was talking about being a saviour he had 2 guys who backed up the idea that he could brainwash people. No JBL the "movement isnt growing" because nobody is following along with him anymore.

It also hurt Harper and Rowan. Harper in particular went from one to watch for in the future to just being the ex Wyatt Family guy.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
when you lose a feud you can't just go on as if nothing happened. When the Undertaker lost to Yokozuna, he didnt come back on raw a week later and start to wrestle the British Bulldog....he VANISHED FOR A LONG TIME! And then made a huge comeback and was once again elevated to "mega star" status.

When he lost to Hogan, did he just go to the next PPV and wrestle the Warlord? No...he turned FACE! That's a major change and makes you forget that he lost anything, because now he's a different person.

Losing feuds is fine, someone has to lose and it won't be cena, it's just that your character needs an "adjustment" to make people forget about the loss. I would have had Bray "vanish" for 2 months and in the meantime give the tag belts to his "brothers". Then you have him come back as more ruthless or more dangerous or SOMETHING different.

Whoever is in charge of stuff like that, whether it be the wrestler or creative (it's creative, they're at faults.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Wyatt's gimmick was the family. They broke up the family. 1 guy is a complete jobber now, 1 is following suit, and 1 is still being booked into random feuds.

Now, let's take a look at when he and the family were red hot...after Bryan and during their feud with the Shield, which in hindsight, was premature. Should have happened at WM30.

They beat The Shield 3 times, CLEAN! and lost once on Main Event, which was only done to build Shield for Evolution. Now, why in the fuck did The Shield get rewarded with an Authority feud? Meanwhile, The Wyatt Family get fed to Cena... Wyatt Family should have got The Authority...you know, when you win a feud you should move forward, not backwards.

The Wyatt Family were robbed of that story arc. They were built up to bring down the machine, but nope, got stuck in a random Cena feud. The feud which totally ripped their momentum and ultimately lead to their break up...which I may add was random as fuck.

The Shield were Authority lap dogs, and got the rub from Evolution when they did not need it at all. Their next feud should have been a break up because all 3 were sick of each other, and finally got moved aside as the top team by the Wyatt Family.

To those who say his promos have become meaningless and rambling, it's because WWE booked him that way. Period. Its simple really, have him go over, and have him do some crazy shit back stage. This brings a totally new aspect to the character. A man who walks the talk.

Moral is, Wyatt and the Family should have been a force to reckon with right now, but no, they are basically in limbo, further getting ruined.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts

I think he wants to do ONE thing but WWE doesn't. So Bray is kind of operating under the assumption that is going to be doing that thing, but WWE isn't letting him have it.

Frankly, the Wyatt FAMILY should have been a roster-wide storyline. And WWE missed the boat on that. Because they're gunshy on everyone who isn't John Cena.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The part I put in bold is what, I feel, people are commenting on when they say WWE are ruining him. WWE tell him what they want him to say and how they want him to act, even if how he gets there is his own way.

I think it's all kneejerk anyway. The initial impact he made on the main roster had to simmer to accommodate other factors, and in the time lost to poor feuds (I can't think of any other than The Wyatt Family VS The Shield, that jump out to me as being exciting), familiarity twinned with repetitive promo-work and booking have poured ice on his fire. Familiarity is a big one, fans are used to seeing him. We are, nothing he can do now surprised us like it first did, his promo style is still repetitive even if entertaining, his in ring style and mannerisms are too, and with WWE at the stage of attempting to make new stars in at least Rollins and Reigns and focusing on the development of other talent, whilst also accommodating Cena, Bryan, Orton, Brock and Punk in the main event picture, Wyatt has had to take a form of a back seat and that had to be expected, but it did seem like fans began to turn on his direction, as well as some not enjoying the character anymore.

He's still in his 20s, only about 25 when he debuted on Raw as Bray, they know they have the time and will use it to develop him further. If his feud with Undertaker for Wrestlemania happens then that's huge.

You can't really make everyone happy, and even though Wyatt's booking hasn't been exceptional, it's been steady if not exciting, and barring poor feuds they have done well to actually keep the character relevant this long.
If Bray wins, he got zero legitimacy out of it since Taker's Wrestlemania credibility was destroyed at WM 30 last year.

If Taker wins...well, obviously he'll get zero out of it.

Nothing huge about this feud, bro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts