Wrestling Forum banner

IWC marks actually wants Zayn to win the RR?

3535 151
I’m actually flabbergasted that people actually want that scrawny ginger puke to win the Royal Rumble. But not only that, they want him to dethrone ROMAN REIGNS???
There is only one man who is winning the rumble and one man taking down the Tribal Chief.

That man is Cody Rhodes.
The only man who makes sense to do it, the buildup to the match will be insane. The sheer wrestling history on the line with that matchup is just mind blowing. And dumb marks want that all pissed away so they can have a cheap pop and then turn on the goofy Canadian idiot a month later when they get bored of him sucking. The best course of action for Zayn is to link back up with Owens and face the Usos at mania.
21 - 40 of 152 Posts

· Registered
10,183 Posts
Zayn carried the conspiracy storyline by himself for a year and got a high profile match at last years WM out of it so clearly he had something that was interesting fans and Vince pre Bloodline.

The second part is just your assumption. Whoever beats Reigns has an unenviable task of replacing one of the greatest title reins in company history and biggest drawing card in a decade+. Zayn has proved himself to be an incredible and beloved baby face during his 18 month long storyline to title in NXT, Cody on flipside by booed by his own fans in a company he created as a baby face.

I mean if we using NXT and AEW as trial runs for who would be best baby face champion on WWE main roster then Zayn wins hands down
But we're not using NXT and AEW as trial runs for what works on WWE's main roster. Why would we? That's like Coca-Cola using Pepsi to determine how they present/market their product, they tried that once and it was a spectacular misstep. Plus it's always a poor move to look to the guy in second place for tips on winning when you're already in first place (and the guy in second isn't gaining on you you).

Anyway, WWE's main roster fanbase is still a vastly different beast than the the core NXT and AEW fanbases. If it weren't Cody wouldn't have been highly over when he returned to WWE. AEW's fanbase rejected Cody because his shit got to the point where it was very self-serving and disconnected from the rest of AEW's product by being painfully "WWE" in nature. He wanted to be a white meat babyface and work the "main event" style. AEW fans didn't want that, seriously, they currently have the JAS doing "sports entertainment" for HEAT. That tells you all you need to know about the desires of the respective fanbases.

So you shouldn't push anyone if they aren't Austin levels? No one has been at Austin levels since Cena, should no one else be given a chance? You act like people are asking for Sami to be in the main event from now on. You give the guy a shot, if his 3 months or so flops, you move on. That's how the business works.

That isn't up for me to decide. They have writers, write Sami a story or two instead of giving one to Corbin, a guy no one cares about.

Sami has been a fan favourite multiple times in his career, though. He's SO easy to book. Make him the underdog and the crowd eats it up.
His Bloodline run is exactly that, and underdog story of being accepted by the group. All they have to do is pivot it once it concludes.

Who cares if it flops? Just enjoy it for what it is. No one is asking for him to carry the company on his back for the next 15 years.
I'm not saying that you can't push anyone that isn't Austin level I'm saying that right now Sami's overness is tied directly to a very specific storyline and may not translate to something else. It's not rocket science. The business doesn't "work" by throwing a guy a bone for three months and if it fails you just cycle out if it. That's literally a description of how the business DOESN'T work.

What exactly is enjoyable about watching a storyline that resonates emotionally give way to the way too exposed "generic underdog babyface that overcomes the odds" bullshit that they do with nearly EVERY babyface? If that's your ideal post bloodline booking for Sami Zayn thank fuck you aren't booking the show.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm not saying that you can't push anyone that isn't Austin level I'm saying that right now Sami's overness is heavily connected to the specific storyline that he's currently in. It's not like his character would easily translate to a different story. He would have to go through a major shift which means they would have to do a lot of storytelling that could easily eliminate what people like about him right now.
…But, don’t most people start somewhere?

HHH got over connected to DX

Orton and Batista got over connected to Evolution

Rock got over connected to Nation of Domination

· Angry at refs
7,773 Posts
I'm not saying that you can't push anyone that isn't Austin level I'm saying that right now Sami's overness is heavily connected to the specific storyline that he's currently in. It's not like his character would easily translate to a different story. He would have to go through a major shift which means they would have to do a lot of storytelling that could easily eliminate what people like about him right now.
Except he wouldn't need to go through a major shift at all. His character is bare bones yet it's working, all they have to do is pivot it into a different story.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
I certainly don't. I want to see someone totally unexpected win the Rumble matches. Anyone but who the posters on WF are insisting will win (Sami, Cody, or possible surprise Rock or Austin). I think the Rumble will be far more exciting that way.

· Registered
4,582 Posts
I’m actually flabbergasted that people actually want that scrawny ginger puke to win the Royal Rumble. But not only that, they want him to dethrone ROMAN REIGNS???
There is only one man who is winning the rumble and one man taking down the Tribal Chief.

That man is Cody Rhodes.
The only man who makes sense to do it, the buildup to the match will be insane. The sheer wrestling history on the line with that matchup is just mind blowing. And dumb marks want that all pissed away so they can have a cheap pop and then turn on the goofy Canadian idiot a month later when they get bored of him sucking. The best course of action for Zayn is to link back up with Owens and face the Usos at mania.
This is professional wrestling. It's about storytelling....David vs Goliath stories are fun. Daniel Bryan was small and main evented WM30 and it was one of the greatest WM storylines/main events of all-time, and fans absolutely loved it.

Not saying Sami Zayn is as over as Bryan was (he isn't) - but:

1. He's very over
2. The long-term story-telling has been fantastic
3. Sami vs Reigns would be a fitting conclusion to the storyline

I still think Cody might be as good/better an option, and think he's more likely to win. But people acting like Sami isn't an option is just stupid. He is one of the 2 most likely and best options (outside of Stone Cold/Rock, but not sure how realistic either/or is)

In rock's case does he win at WM?
If it's Rock vs Reigns - Rock 100% can win. I want to go into the match believing there's a 50/50 chance of who wins, a bit like it was with Cena/Rock at WM28, unpredictable. So long as they tell a logical story and book the match outcome in a great way, it matters a bit less to me if Rock or Reigns wins.

But I don't think The Rock is wrestling for title at mania this year, so it's a moot point.

· Registered
799 Posts
So you shouldn't push anyone if they aren't Austin levels? No one has been at Austin levels since Cena, should no one else be given a chance? You act like people are asking for Sami to be in the main event from now on. You give the guy a shot, if his 3 months or so flops, you move on. That's how the business works.

That isn't up for me to decide. They have writers, write Sami a story or two instead of giving one to Corbin, a guy no one cares about.

Sami has been a fan favourite multiple times in his career, though. He's SO easy to book. Make him the underdog and the crowd eats it up.
His Bloodline run is exactly that, and underdog story of being accepted by the group. All they have to do is pivot it once it concludes.

Who cares if it flops? Just enjoy it for what it is. No one is asking for him to carry the company on his back for the next 15 years.
And no underdog story works after they get the belt.
Tied of having a guy get a belt fork fan support and then seeing the fans instantly turn on him.

Let him have his time. Don't force a win for a cheap pop. Way better things can be done.

The issue is the same that say "just let him" bitch at the idea of cody doing it. Who cares if it flops? Let him.

· Registered
10,433 Posts
I consider myself IWC, but I can't see how they could justify him winning. Considering he was booked like a joke for the majority of his time on the main roster, then was further made to look like a joke losing to Johnny Knoxville.

For some reason, people seem to think after he made that "Ucey" comment that he's main event material all of a sudden.........

Reactions: TuNePeuxPas OK

· "If I can't f*** shit up I don't wanna live!"
Octopus Worshipper
916 Posts
But we're not using NXT and AEW as trial runs for what works on WWE's main roster. Why would we? That's like Coca-Cola using Pepsi to determine how they present/market their product
I agree with this in concept, but in this instance that’s exactly what WWE did. He left WWE very unpopular using their internal gimmick and music and came back to WWE with much more popularity based on the character and music he was presented with in AEW. Nothing happened in WWE to get him over, he came back from AEW over.

· Registered
799 Posts
…But, don’t most people start somewhere?

HHH got over connected to DX

Orton and Batista got over connected to Evolution

Rock got over connected to Nation of Domination
In this case it's more like Enzo, x pac, Albert, or too cool

Their popular in their current role. Pushing them up won't Maintain the popularity

He won't and can't work as the actual champion.

· You're Pretty Good
12,783 Posts
I agree with this in concept, but in this instance that’s exactly what WWE did. He left WWE very unpopular using their internal gimmick and music and came back to WWE with much more popularity based on the character and music he was presented with in AEW. Nothing happened in WWE to get him over, he came back from AEW over.
Cody entered AEW over with that same presentation as well. It wasn't theirs.

Octopus Worshipper
916 Posts
Cody entered AEW over with that same presentation as well. It wasn't theirs.
It wasn’t, but he never got that reaction in ROH or NJPW either. And he was co-founder/exec at AEW, so he was the source of that presentation himself at all 3 places, it’s just that the overall AEW product got over in the US mainstream.

He begged to get a similar presentation at WWE and was repeatedly denied prior to leaving.

· Registered
799 Posts
It wasn’t, but he never got that reaction in ROH or NJPW either. And he was co-founder/exec at AEW, so he was the source of that presentation himself at all 3 places, it’s just that the overall AEW product got over in the US mainstream.

He begged to get a similar presentation at WWE and was repeatedly denied prior to leaving.
He absolutely got same reactions in NJPW

Bullet club hit its peak of popularity when he was with them. They did something no group had done in wrestling since dx/nwo.

He was well received in all of them.

· Fearless University Graduate
Fearless University Graduate
24,868 Posts
Yes because its a great story and an organic one at that. Its a story that actually involves the World Champ and Sami.

Cody's story is just Codys story, it doesn't matter who he beats for the Title. And its not organic, its forced. Cody came back and it immediately felt like he was going to have a World Title put on him pronto no matter what.

Yawn.

Sami taking it to Reigns would be a brilliant conclusion to this story.

· Registered
271 Posts
Zayn wins the championship. Zayn marks then bitch about how he's being booked or he just gets hurt cause he's injury prone and/or because he's wrestling blokes twice his size. The IWC darling title reigns never go to well because the minute business isn't going so great, they blame the indy darling and job his ass.

When Vince really believes in a star, he will back that star until he is successful.

In my opinion, fans misunderstand Sami Zayn's role. His job is to feed into the champion's vanity, to feed the heel his heat. WWE could have given the champion a heater but they chose Zayn instead. Now, rather than congratulating the guy who defeats the champion these retarded fans want Zayn to beat the champion. They believe their thinking is logical when that is never been how the carny business actually works.

The Zayn character should be featured, maybe as a gatekeeper to the world title and, maybe, after this story ends, if Zayn starts to push merchandise by himself, they might rightfully consider putting the title on him then.

Octopus Worshipper
916 Posts
Bullet club hit its peak of popularity when he was with them. They did something no group had done in wrestling since dx/nwo.

He was well received in all of them.
I watched his ROH/NJPW live and he was an upper midcard act who won the IWGP US title and challenged for the IWGP Heavyweight in a single main event that he lost (where the crowd was for Omega in a heel-vs-heel bout.) His reactions there never approached his Double or Nothing 2019 peak.

· Registered
799 Posts
I watched his ROH/NJPW live and he was an upper midcard act who won the IWGP US title and challenged for the IWGP Heavyweight in a single main event that he lost (where the crowd was for Omega in a heel-vs-heel bout.) His reactions there never approached his Double or Nothing 2019 peak.
They absolutely did. Look at his merch sell in Japan he was at one point the #1 merch mover
Something he never did in aew

21 - 40 of 152 Posts