Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a show from Canadian Wrestling Elite. It's held in a small city that they don't normally run. Gladstone, Manitoba. They usually run Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The reason they ran it was because the community wanted to run a benefit show for a bad ass little kid fighting cancer. It's pretty cool, they let him jump in the ring, the television champ let him hold the belt. I'm sure he had a good time and they apparently raised 3,000 bucks which is a lot better than a sharp stick in the eye.

I've seen every one from Ring of Honor to Elite Canadian Championship Wrestling advertise that they do these type of shows to raise money for various organizations and causes.

In the book "Wrestling 101:promoting Pro Wrestling" (Which is simultaneously a very interesting read and a horrible rip off.) they mention doing these kind of shows can be beneficial to any promotion, but especially one just starting out. (I guess because it's a paid show, so you're cost are covered even though you don't get most of the profits. And the first few shows are more about not losing money than making any. And it's good promotion, gets the word out. Gives you time to build up a fanbase.)

But I've never actually seen it done before. Probably because the CWE has the benefit of being on television and was able to use this show for their program.

So I was wondering if anyone knew about any other benefit shows that other promotions do. I'm surprised you don't hear more about them. You'd think there'd be an annual one in some part of the world somewhere.

I think Pro Wrestling REALLY is a unique and fun way to raise money. Much cooler than a bake sale, right?

BTW, the show isn't so bad either.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Re: I've heard about shows like this but never actually seen one before. (Benefit sho

CWE runs a fair amount of places in Manitoba actually. Yes Winnipeg is their main base, but they easily do 12-15 other towns a year.

2 or 3 times they will bring in a semi-decent name and do 3 shows in 3 nights in 3 different places.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Re: I've heard about shows like this but never actually seen one before. (Benefit sho

Its probably a scam...

You do a benefit show you're either getting talent to work for free or give you a break in the price.

You're probably charging some type of management fee or saying we'll give you 30% of the profits.

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts

The two NJPW/AJPW/NOAH super shows; "ALL TOGETHER". Three of the main wrestling companies in Japan coming together to put on 2 big super shows with all proceedings including ticket, PPV & merchandise sales going to the Japanese Red Cross from the 2011 Tsunami & Earthquake victims relief fund.

The first show raised $769,211.

Reactions: RoosterSmith

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Every small Indy show seems to be a benefit show.
Didn't know that. I go to a lot of shows in the New York area. I reckon that the large metropolitan area is the reason I've never seen this. Guess they didn't have to look for a benefactor or underwriter because people are gonna show up anyway.

CWE runs a fair amount of places in Manitoba actually. Yes Winnipeg is their main base, but they easily do 12-15 other towns a year.

2 or 3 times they will bring in a semi-decent name and do 3 shows in 3 nights in 3 different places.
That doesn't surprise me, they seem like a very well run company all around. They focus on other things besides the matches, they're always promoting upcoming shows. Wish their production picked up. (Not in terms of costs, but in terms of thinking things out better.) But yeah, a very enjoyable company.

It's good to hear they have so many venues. Spread out the risk, create a larger fan base. I personally think this might be canada's best promotion. These guys or Victory Commonwealth.

The two NJPW/AJPW/NOAH super shows; "ALL TOGETHER". Three of the main wrestling companies in Japan coming together to put on 2 big super shows with all proceedings including ticket, PPV & merchandise sales going to the Japanese Red Cross from the 2011 Tsunami & Earthquake victims relief fund.

The first show raised $769,211.
That's a worthy cause. I know at least a few times a year Japanese Wrestling can draw mega crowds so the number doesn't surprise me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts