Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AWWWW! Wrestling forum... Don't you dare be sour..
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He might have just had one of the greatest Faceturn's in WWE History. I watched the infamous raw shoot and I can clearly see it was planned all along. And when I watch the contract negotiation. We were all so caught up in a rare and very well put together storyline. That we forgot to notice that this was all scripted.

Punk didn't say much in the shoot on Raw if you watch it again. He said a lot of stuff about him being the best wrestler. And then the contract signing was so WWE typical storyline scenario.

I think we witnessed a very creative way of turning a heel face by today's standards. Since the WWE is all about social media. Including forums. They recognize how many complaints they are getting from fans who don't like the direction of their product. So CM Punk and the WWE took advantage of a bad situation.

When CM Punk was on Commentary, he was a face. He got cheered and everything. Then they turn him heel to join nexus. But I believe Punk wanted to remain Face. And they chose this time to turn him. So what best way to get fans on his side then to turn the fans against the CEO. Get the John Cena haters behind him, and at MITB in his home town. Have the crowd ready for a home town welcome. That would also end up changing the mindset of wreslting fans. Because we all know, wrestling fans are the most fickle when it comes to who they like and don't like. A lot of followers.

Rare Genius by CM Punk, and the Creative Team

·
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: I've come to realize this about CM Punk

BTW, I know some of you are going to come in with that..."Duh" and "Where have you been?" But I posted this because I happened to watch the entire storyline again to see what I missed due to how caught up I was in all of it. And the shoot wasnt as strong as I originally thought it was. But the emotion of it after the fact from fans like myself. Made it what it was.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts

In recent history? Definitely. Overall? No. That goes to Austin's.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts

It was extremely well done but I don't think they expected such a positive reaction initially. Punk was a heel and heels always complain, very few times a heel complains and has a legitimate grievance that people can get behind.

Of course there was going to be positivity when he began verbally attacking John Cena however,
Its just a classic case of when keepin it real goes right. Besides nobody really saw something like that coming, they really didn't hint at it or anything and the surprise factor added a lot to the moment. I remember the gasps I took when I heard that stuff, I wasn't really paying attention until he started ranting. He was able to voice the frustration of older fans in a way that I didn't expect at all.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Boy the WWE sure stomped the shit outta that fire they had blazing almost a year ago, didn't they?

·
Registered
128 Posts

Every time I think of that, i just picture a dam bursting and both dousing the water, and drowning the village. go WWE

·
Registered
8,281 Posts

Austin and Bret's double turn was better in my opinion but yes it was a very creative turn. I'm not sure if they planned the face turn from the moment he did the shoot or if it just happened, I can never pick the exact moment he turned face I think it was at the MITB PPV, he bashed the fans in the shoot so he was still a firm heel then.

·
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Austin and Bret's double turn was better in my opinion but yes it was a very creative turn. I'm not sure if they planned the face turn from the moment he did the shoot or if it just happened, I can never pick the exact moment he turned face I think it was at the MITB PPV, he bashed the fans in the shoot so he was still a firm heel then.
I think it was all planned out. If you pay attention to CM Punk's promo's after the shoot on raw. During that contract signing. He started talking as if he cared for the fans and what they think. That's not a Heel, that's a face.

·
Banned
254 Posts

Boy the WWE sure stomped the shit outta that fire they had blazing almost a year ago, didn't they?
And with gusto. I think it was actually a much more difficult job managing to fuck something like that up as they did then to capitalize on it. lol [email protected]

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

It's a little crazy that they managed to screw it up considering how over Punk was, at least he is still over, but he doesn't have anywhere near the heat he had that Summer. People were clamoring for him and thinking he'd be the next Austin, Attitude Era stars were coming out of the wood work to talk about him and say how great he was and how they'd return to have a match against him--and Jericho in fact did--but geez WWE.

Thanks a lot for that...whatever it was...with the Clique. I mean, really?

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts

See I don't actually see it that way, I think the idea was for Punk to 'shoot' but I think they didn't expect the reaction they got from fans and changed the story which would have been Cena overcoming the odds to save the WWE title from the evil CM Punk.

They realized this guy had just blew up infront of them and they had to cash in literally so he got a new deal and went over. unfortunately then the wheels fell off.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I'm still not convinced it was a planned face turn. I don't think they knew to what extent the reaction would be from the casual (which is the majority) fans. I reckon they planned where they were gonna go from it after they got an idea of how people were reacting.

If they were planning to turn him face they wouldn't have had him lash out on fans like he did

Check 4:09 for evidence

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
It was a worked shoot. Stop trying to downplay it. He went out there and just spoke his mind and it got over. Really really over. You have to have some talent to be able to do that.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Why the fuck he's not the one battling Laurinaitis in the current abortion of a Cena storyline I will never understand. GOD FORBID THEY USE PUNK IN A STORYLINE DESIGNED EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY PERFECTLY EXACTLY FOR HIS CHARACTER. Fuckin A, WWE.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
They kind of flopped his Face turn when they botched the Punk/Jericho storyline...they tried to salvage some of it after WM28 and the build to ER and a great match btw i might add, but it was just a little to late. It just seems there were way more ways you coulda went about that feud then the route they took. Maybe i was just expecting greater...

as far as Punk, im happy where he is now, at the top. Needs to stop playing second fiddle to Cena seconds as it is diminishing the prestige of the WWE Championships and Punks credibility as well...sad to say but 2012 and Championship belts are an afterthought :punk2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts