Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without going into a rant too much, they'll either over-do-it or completely under-do-it.

Like they'll bring someone in...then either forget them, book them where they look TOO strong (and they're usually faces) and people just can't buy into them or they'll underbook them as in...they'll bring them in, use em for 2 weeks and they'll be absent.

They also do this REALLY annoying thing where they'll have em squash people that were there already (Getting a win over Red doesn't do shit for anyone lol).

It's just really frustrating, because I remember when Carlito debuted in the WWE and I thought they done that PERFECTLY. You have the video packages run for a few weeks to build interest and also introduce a character (You can pretty much test crowd reaction and all that too), then have them come in and actually bring them into a legit storyline.

I will say they had something going with Wolfe. I liked how they brought him in, but the way he was "forgot" about after the Angle fued was quite sad.

You had Magnus who they brought in only to send him back away. I did like the British Invasion angle, but....he's stuck on Xplosion.....

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm rarely ever excited about debuts anymore in this company as they rarely ever amount to anything. There's either too many debuts around the same time or they'll just completely not book them properly after a couple of weeks...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea I agree, TNA does alot of things wrong and a few right and for the most part their debut for new talent is just bad. It really got me upset when they just forgot Wolfe after his angle feud like you said, it was only a matter of time after that he started jobbing to anyone and their mother including RVD.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Angle said in an interview that Wolfe was depushed because he "wasnt good at making his opponent look good", or words to that effect. Whether that means he couldn't sell or his style was just too good, I dont know.

Whatever it was, it makes me wanna see him pushed. His chain wrestling/reversals always looked cool.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Another debut that sticks in my mind for the wrong reasons is RVD. He came out to an insane reaction, did a couple of moves then Sting beat him senseless for an eternity. Totally sucked the energy out of his first night.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Another debut that sticks in my mind for the wrong reasons is RVD. He came out to an insane reaction, did a couple of moves then Sting beat him senseless for an eternity. Totally sucked the energy out of his first night.
No, RVD's own work sucked the energy out of his entire tenure in TNA. Sting beating him senseless with a bat has been the most exciting part of RVD's run with the company.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
How about Jeff Hardy debuting in an X Division match?

I mean, it is pretty bad.

I cant remember them debuting anyone properly since they acquired Kurt Angle.

·
StarStruck
2,038 Posts
How about Jeff Hardy debuting in an X Division match?

I mean, it is pretty bad.

I cant remember them debuting anyone properly since they acquired Kurt Angle.
Really? that was 2004, Jeff wasn't a main eventer then, He'd been out of wrestling for a year at that point, coming in for a shot at the X belt wasn't a bad thing at all.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mickie James?
Mickie's alright. I have nothing bad to say about her..I kinda just wish someone like Daffney was pushed or at least given a chance over her though. I welcome her, but her sort of gimmick (similar to Angle's current one imo) doesn't run well with me

·
Registered
522 Posts
For me the worst debut was Bobby Lashley - that was just a joke. They hyped him up so much and then a couple of matches later he was gone! I knew right from the start he wouldn't do more than a few matches before having enough. It was more of an angle to get his missus on the tv!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Really? that was 2004, Jeff wasn't a main eventer then, He'd been out of wrestling for a year at that point, coming in for a shot at the X belt wasn't a bad thing at all.
Ok, fine, I will reword it towards a re-debut on the January 4th show. I dunno, just seems to me that you are having this big main event with Kurt Angle -vs- AJ Styles, why not have Jeff Hardy come out Lex Luger 1st Nitro 1995 style at the end, proclaim himself the biggest star in wrestling (at the time he basically was coming off being the biggest star in WWE in 2009), and set a match with Angle -vs- Styles -vs- Hardy at the Genesis PPV. He could have started out as Hogan/Bischoffs guy and it would have been sooo much more effective than what he did the first 8 months of his 2nd run in TNA.

As far as Micke James goes, no, they didnt handle it well. They showed her arrive in the parking lot before she debuted and then debuted her the next segment as a "surprise" ref for the TNA Knockouts match.

Just kinda silly to me, why show her arrive backstage? It would have been so much more effective for her actual debut to be when they announced the ref. But it was also Mickie James 2nd run in TNA so I guess it really isnt a debut either, like Hardy.

·
also known as a BUSTER
12,018 Posts
Young Bucks - waaaay too much too soon.
RVD - brutalised by ex-nWo guy instantly.

Those are your two possible TNA debuts.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just loved the little vignettes they did before the arrival of The Pope.

I think that was a great debut.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
TNA has a long history of not giving a shit when it comes to making something look and feel big.

Hulk Hogan hadn't wrestled in America in YEARS. His first match back was in front of a little over 1k people (non paying crowd at that) on free TV.

Ric Flair steps out of retirement in America and wrestles his first match on American soil since his 'retirement' at WM24..does this match occur at Slammiversary, Lockdown, or Bound For Glory? Nope. Occurs in The Impact Zone.

Mickie James signs with TNA and when is the first time we see her? Walking backstage and the camera man asks her what she is doing.

Mick Foly signs with TNA and the first time we see him he is backstage cutting a promo, because lord knows him 'randomly' showing up or making his first on screen debut with TNA on a PPV (or in Impact) in the ring would have been 'too much'.

RVD debuts to probably one of the biggest pops in Impact Zone history and then is beating for 10 minutes with a bat.

Mr. Anderson comes in (and has been great since this incident) and his first match is against possibility one of the worse workers on the roster hands down in Abyss.

So yeah...TNA doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Foley one probably pissed me off the most. It was more the fact that I didn't care for him and the way they debuted him (with the ending segment on screen0 was just like...I watched 2 hours for that to be the buildup?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
didn't they do promo's for Robbie E, also I hate when WWE gives away a surprise signing or return. One of the main reasons why I was a big WCW fan was because of the surprise returns and signings it had.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts