Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So... TNA's done it's 3 highest ratings EVER this year since Hogan and Bischoff came on, and since coming on Hogan has wrestled ONCE and barely any of his friends have been brought in, yet somehow this sentiment still exists because professional smark writers have tossed it around a few times.

This becomes a rant on TNA

I do think there should be more emphasis on Anderson/Pope/Joe/Fourtune/ rather than Hogan/Bischoff/Flair/Dixie, not because of any "ex-WWE" bullshit (4 of WWFs 5 biggest stars in the attitude era were "WCW rejects") but that's because Hogan/Bischoff/Dixie/won't get in the ring (or in Flair's case is SIXTY).

Speaking of the ex-WWE thing, these "rejects" in most cases were guys that didn't like the schedule, left for political reasons, or are drug users who can't deal with the wellness policy. However, the ex-WWE guys TNA is pushing were guys that all had success in WWE. Kennedy was over as hell with the WWE crowd at one point during his push, Pope was getting over with a minor push without being on the big shows, Jeff Hardy was as over as Undertaker and John Cena when he left, Kurt Angle is Kurt Angle. Using their no longer being employed by WWE as a way to discredit them is ridiculous, the guys TNA ACTUALLY PUSHES got over in WWE too.

Overall to me the product since Bischoff/Hogan came in has actually been an improvement over the last 2 or 3 years, it seems people forget TNA was actually more of a clusterfuck in 07-09 than it is now. There's a lot of improvements that can be made but as far as popularity and viewership TNA has not been negatively affected.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
TNA PPV matches have lacked a lot of build and sometimes are thrown together only a week before the PPV since Bischoff and Hogan have arrived. This is something that was VERY common in WCW. That and Attitude Era (which also include WWF/ECW) rehashes are the only things that really remind me of WCW.

I enjoyed the Impact on Thursday more than any of the Impacts since Hogan/Bischoff arrived. There has been a lot of crap that has happened under them though and a couple good impacts doesn't just erase it. Example: Recently for about a month BMI/MCMG carried Impact. It needs to be consistently good.

Also I just remembered another trait of WCW, TNA gave away a lot of "dream matches" for free with absolutely no build up which took away greatly from the matches.

·
TNA Believer
4,293 Posts
TNA PPV matches have lacked a lot of build and sometimes are thrown together only a week before the PPV since Bischoff and Hogan have arrived. This is something that was VERY common in WCW. That and Attitude Era (which also include WWF/ECW) rehashes are the only things that really remind me of WCW.
i agree with all you said, but i remind you that bischoff said many times there should be less ppv because one every month it almost impossible to build up any storyline.

I believe TNA is obliged to respect their contracts but if possible it would be wise for the number of ppv reduce to 6 or even 4. Instead of ppv tna could try to get more live shows and a second show (like xplosion) airing in another day of the week would do wonders to build up much better.

btw..i thought this would be another rant thread, but the op made sense.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
since coming on Hogan has wrestled ONCE and barely any of his friends have been brought in
ROFL

Scott Hall
Sean Waltman
Ken Kennedy
Val Venis
Nasty Boys
Orlando Jordan
Shannon Moore
Eric Bischoff
Ric Flair
Reid Flair
Jimmy Hart

(4 of WWFs 5 biggest stars in the attitude era were "WCW rejects")
Eric Bischoff is a moron. We know this already. What's your point? He let the talented guys go because he was a mark for washed-up WWE employees like Rick Rude and Lex Luger.

-

Also J-Woww = Jay Leno.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
^ Don't forget Bubba The Love Sponge aka Mancow 2.0

I remembmer Mancow vs. Jimmy Hart in WCW oh my god was that awful. fpalm

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
My favourite BTLS moment was when he interviewed a guy in the queue outside, on Jan 4th.

He goes to the guy "So what are you looking for, from the new TNA?"

The fan goes "Real wrestling. Like it used to be. When there were guys like the Ultimate Warrior!"

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ROFL

Scott Hall
Sean Waltman
Ken Kennedy
Val Venis
Nasty Boys
Orlando Jordan
Shannon Moore
Eric Bischoff
Ric Flair
Reid Flair
Jimmy Hart

Eric Bischoff is a moron. We know this already. What's your point? He let the talented guys go because he was a mark for washed-up WWE employees like Rick Rude and Lex Luger.

-

Also J-Woww = Jay Leno.
The only guys you listed who are getting any sort of airtime in the last few months are Bischoff, Kennedy, Shannon Moore, and Orlando Jordan, besides Bischoff nobody associates those guys with Hogan.

J-Woww is getting them attention and is a sideshow that is not embarassing the serious part of wrestling like the Leno angle. Cookie sold for her, not their World champ.

TNA's ratings are increasing. Whether they're on the level of WWE is not the point, the point is TNA viewership is growing and not declining no matter what the internet sentiment is.

I don't love the Hogan/Bischoff era TNA and liked it more from 05/06 but TNA in the last year has actually made more sense than it had in the previous 2 or 3 years and has grown in viewership. All this talk of Hogan and Bischoff turning TNA in a clusterfuck whose fans are tuning out is simply not true, I'm just pointing this out.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
So... TNA's done it's 3 highest ratings EVER this year since Hogan and Bischoff came on, and since coming on Hogan has wrestled ONCE and barely any of his friends have been brought in, yet somehow this sentiment still exists because professional smark writers have tossed it around a few times.

This becomes a rant on TNA

I do think there should be more emphasis on Anderson/Pope/Joe/Fourtune/ rather than Hogan/Bischoff/Flair/Dixie, not because of any "ex-WWE" bullshit (4 of WWFs 5 biggest stars in the attitude era were "WCW rejects") but that's because Hogan/Bischoff/Dixie/won't get in the ring (or in Flair's case is SIXTY).

Speaking of the ex-WWE thing, these "rejects" in most cases were guys that didn't like the schedule, left for political reasons, or are drug users who can't deal with the wellness policy. However, the ex-WWE guys TNA is pushing were guys that all had success in WWE. Kennedy was over as hell with the WWE crowd at one point during his push, Pope was getting over with a minor push without being on the big shows, Jeff Hardy was as over as Undertaker and John Cena when he left, Kurt Angle is Kurt Angle. Using their no longer being employed by WWE as a way to discredit them is ridiculous, the guys TNA ACTUALLY PUSHES got over in WWE too.

Overall to me the product since Bischoff/Hogan came in has actually been an improvement over the last 2 or 3 years, it seems people forget TNA was actually more of a clusterfuck in 07-09 than it is now. There's a lot of improvements that can be made but as far as popularity and viewership TNA has not been negatively affected.
You can't compare that to TNA, the likes of Triple H and Stone Cold were rejects, yes, but were also absolutely nobodies, Austin was lower midcard at best who was a tad over with the crowd. WWE took nobodies and made them the face of the company, it would be the equivalent of TNA signing Primo and Santino then turning them into the biggest thing in wrestling since Cena, they could've done it with Pope / Elijah Burke, maybe they will, but he's not getting the push right now. TNA has signed huge names in Angle, Hardy and Hogan, names that are already established but havn't pulled in when it counts. Most of the TNA signings are not WWE rejects anyway:

Hogan - Biggest name in wrestling of all time, not a reject, mix of Hogans political demands and the fact that he's run his course.
Angle - One of the best of all time, left due to wanted a less demanding schedule, could walk back into WWE if he wanted.
Jeff Hardy - Pretty much the only person you could've seen eclipsing Cena, insanely over, was given the ball and he ran with it. Left due to legal issues, would Vince want him back if legal disputes were solved? Hell yes.
RVD - Probably a mix of wellness and the stuff with his wife. Another very over main eventer, would've stayed in WWE and certainly wasn't rejected.
Mr. Anderson / Kennedy Backstage politics, simple as that, was well on his way to becoming WWE champion and was documented in an interview that Vince personally said to him he'd be champ. Again, not a reject.

Ignoring Kevin Nash and Foley, the rest you can then argue are rejects.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can't compare that to TNA, the likes of Triple H and Stone Cold were rejects, yes, but were also absolutely nobodies, Austin was lower midcard at best who was a tad over with the crowd. WWE took nobodies and made them the face of the company, it would be the equivalent of TNA signing Primo and Santino then turning them into the biggest thing in wrestling since Cena, they could've done it with Pope / Elijah Burke, maybe they will, but he's not getting the push right now. TNA has signed huge names in Angle, Hardy and Hogan, names that are already established but havn't pulled in when it counts. Most of the TNA signings are not WWE rejects anyway:

Hogan - Biggest name in wrestling of all time, not a reject, mix of Hogans political demands and the fact that he's run his course.
Angle - One of the best of all time, left due to wanted a less demanding schedule, could walk back into WWE if he wanted.
Jeff Hardy - Pretty much the only person you could've seen eclipsing Cena, insanely over, was given the ball and he ran with it. Left due to legal issues, would Vince want him back if legal disputes were solved? Hell yes.
RVD - Probably a mix of wellness and the stuff with his wife. Another very over main eventer, would've stayed in WWE and certainly wasn't rejected.
Mr. Anderson / Kennedy Backstage politics, simple as that, was well on his way to becoming WWE champion and was documented in an interview that Vince personally said to him he'd be champ. Again, not a reject.

Ignoring Kevin Nash and Foley, the rest you can then argue are rejects.
I agree the ex-WWE guys TNA actually pushes are not "rejects" and got over in WWE but were released or left for different reasons.

As for WWE making ex-WCW guys, Cactus Jack and Steve Austin were not nobodies WWE made, both guys were over in WCW and worked programs with top guys. Austin was in a lot of main events in the Dangerous Alliance angle, working with their two top faces in Sting/Steamboat and was over. WCW didn't do shit with him the last year or so he was there but he was over in WCW at one point. Mean Mark and Jean Paul Levesque WWE did make into stars from nobodies.

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
It is WCW all over again when you think about it.

1. They do a big mystery angle

2. Place everybody into stables

3. Turn your most popular babyface heel.(Goldberg type of turn)

4. Countless restarts

5. Relive the glory days( EV2)

6. WORKING THE INTERNET

7. D list celebrities

It's WCW all over again. I know it's not going to end well but am going to continue to watch. It's crazy people don't learn from the past or Vince McMAHON. ROH going down the same path as ECW, that Adam Pearce interview was an eye opener. Now Cary Silkin, is coming out defending ROH and their decisions.

DEJA VU

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
Go find another wrestling promotion that can maintain an audience that big other than WWE.
AAA constantly draws in the 4's sometimes less,sometimes more in their home country. CMLL is a little lower but not dropping below 2.5.

It's a good rating for a normal tv show but wrestling shows needs to draw triple than that. The ad revenue for wrestling shows is the worst in television. It's been that way forever. If Raw drop below 2.0, the show would be cancel,on the spot. WCW in their dying days was getting 3's but TNT still didn't care. They were willing to give it up. Spike TV is tolerant of TNA. They would never fight for TNA though.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You know what TNA needs, something separated from all the Main Event stables. WCW had the Main event stables, but also kept other things separate. Right now TNA needs to either keep the TV Title or theX Division title, but lose the other. And which ever belt they lose, they need to keep it out of site of the stable fueds. They need a solo mid carder segment each show for the lighter weight guys, and then they need to shuffle in some new faces, some japanese wrestlers and luch libres. Get a few new faces there. The Cruiserweights single handedly was a force in WCW programing. They need 5-8 good guys in that division that can create exciting matches each week with high flying moves and or unsusually seen moves and technical skills. Masked wrestlers are always exciting (except for suicide)

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Without the Cruiser weight division and guys like Benoit, Guerrero & Malenko putting on all the best matches every night WCW would have been TNA, and they would have died a lot sooner.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts