Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at some wrestler's Wikipedia pages and it's so daunting how much WWE has wasted with the current crop of 'superstars'. Last night on RAW really revealed how screwed WWE are in the future. Okay, Rock vs Cena makes a shitload of cash, Rock goes back to his movies and one can only hope Cena stop winning the title (he's had 11, that enough now), but where do we go from there? Who's gonna sell next year's Mania. Which is why, as unlikely as it is, I don't wanna see Punk vs Austin. And stop using the excuse of the older generation is putting over the newer generation, cause that's not the case. Cena is already over, Rock vs Cena is just a money scheme, nothing more nothing less. CM Punk is already over, how much more putting over does he need?

Which brings me to my next point. CM Punk. This was a guy who made his WWE debut when he was 28 years old. Luckily for him, he came it at a time when WWE kind of gave a shit bout the future. By 2008 he was given his first World Title run as a testing the water kind of thing. It was a good a little run but why use the World Title to test the waters? Isn't that what's the IC title for? Or the US title? Tag title? And yes I know Punk was IC champ (something that I completely for) but who remembers? And his tag team gold with kingston? That was long forgotten. By 2009 he became a strong, strong heel. He truly developed since 2008 and I believe his first World Title should have been in 2009, it just would have been better. That was the time. However, he just hang around and didn't do much for the entire of 2010 and first half of 2011. Why do that? Why make a guy so damn irrelevant after having one of if not the best damn feuds of the previous year? But the thing that really made CM Punk a star was one little 6 minute promo. So this is my point. If all it takes is WWE is 6 minutes to make a guy a star, could you imagine what they can do with 3 years? Why do they wait till last minute and rush the process and make it seem so unnatural.

Punk's case wasn't unnatural. Coincidence or not, it fit right in context. He did go from the most relevant guy in the company to vanishing into obscurity within a matter of months. The guy that one of the most rushed, forced and unnatural pushes within recent memory is Jack Swagger. Here's a guy that came in a big way in the WWE in late 2008 at 26 years old. By 2009 he was a main focus of ECW and was champion. Surely WWE was grooming this guy for future success, right? Wrong! He was drafted to RAW by mid 2009 and by the end of the year went onto to unsuccessfully chase US gold. The kid was a joke by 2009. Heading into 2010, Wrestlemanina is approaching and Jack Swagger is in the MITB match. Surely, a jobber like him has to be one of the filler guys, right? Wrong! He won the fricking thing and went on to cash in 5 days later to pin Chris Jericho for the WHC. A failed reign which I think everyone has tried to erase from their minds (sorry for bringing it back up). How the heck do you walk in as a jobber, couldn't even capture midcard gold and all of a sudden you're WHC? By the end of 2010 and the entire of 2011 and what's gone of 2012 thus far, the Jack Swagger character is nothing but a fool at this point. At 30 years old what does he have going for him?

Last but not least Dolph fricking Ziggler. Here's a kid that's been with the WWE since he was 24 years old (since 2004!). After being given stupid gimmick after stupid gimmick he was repacked in late 2008. He went on to be one of Smackdown's fastest rising stars in 2009 but for some odd reason WWE never once put the IC title on him. It was, instead, given to Drew McIntyre who by the way is nowhere to be found. Why do that? In the end you're just killing both men's careers cause neither go on to do anything. Nonetheless, he finally went onto to capture IC gold one year later and just as fast as WWE pushed him they once again derail him. Yet again by 2011 Ziggler would go on to win the US title, a title which I believe had some credibility thanks to hit series of bouts with Kingston. It's a fact the US title meant a lot back in 2011. The crowd was really into Ryder vs Ziggler at TLC 2011. When last did the crowd give a damn? Speaking of Ryder, here's another guy they fucked over recently. But I forgot to mention the strange 2011 Ziggler had. He started off the year with what I assume was a main event push having a match with Edge at Royal Rumble for the WHC. Several weeks later he won the the WHC by default! By fricking default! It only lasted 13 minutes! 2012 started off the exact same way for Ziggler only this time it was for the WWE title at the same PPV against CM Punk. Now I have no clue what he's doing but I still have hope for him. Maybe it's a good thing WWE isn't pushing him too heavily but the constant hot and cold moments need to stop. The guy is 32 years old now. When is he gonna win the gold in a meaningful way?

After Wrestlemania it needs to end. Cena doesn't need the title. Doesn't need to be in the main event, neither does Jericho nor Orton. It's time for WWE to push the younger guys. Time is just wasting. They're just getting older and older yet more irrelevant and losing credibility. Shouldn't you gain more credibility the longer you stay? Especially if you were heavily pushed at the beginning?

·
Administrator
59,094 Posts
It was time last year, it was time the year before, it was time the year before that, etc. Basically, they haven't created a single main-event "big" star outside of CM Punk in the last five years. Fella is getting there, but he's no where near Punk's level.

It's clear that WWE has no confidence in their current roster since Mania 27, 28, and now 29 will be saved by attitude era stars, but they need to get out this mindset. The reason they were able to properly develop stars in the past was because they had long term plans for each wrestler/character they wanted to get over. In the last few years, they change their minds on the week to week basis, resulting in stop & go pushes, which ultimately results in the crowd not caring about anybody and then they wonder why nobody can get over.

Also, they need to stress the importance of the World titles again. It's scary to see the World titles are the 3rd and 4th most important matches on the biggest show of the year. If you look at WWE history, nobody since Hogan actually outgrew the WWE title, but even when he outgrew the title, he was still challenging for it to show that it meant something. Now Cena, Rock, Triple H, and Taker all outgrew the title to the point where being the World Champion isn't the ultimate goal or ultimate achievement in the company anymore. Ending the streak and having a dream match are much more important than winning the World title. Why should the crowd care that you won the World title on the 4th most important match on the card, when there's bigger things to accomplish in the business?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts