Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the surface, the reasons why kids love Cena and support Reigns seem pretty obvious. Those guys almost always win and a kid who thinks it's real doesn't want to associate with a loser. Kids are easy to market to so when they pass a t-shirt stand in an arena that has way more products for one guy than everyone else combined, they accept that this wrestler stands above the rest. And Cena and Reigns are Mom-approved. They don't see them cheating or chewing out the fans so they see no overtly bad influence this person could have on their child.

But when I was a kid, there was nothing I wanted to be more than older. I didn't go to a WWE show at a very young age but if I did and I got seated next to a group of men in their 20s, I would be inclined to think those guys are cooler and know more about the world than I do. It's honestly a pretty big shock to me that the sight of older fans in the arena booing their heroes has not cut deeper into the inherent advantages Cena and Reigns have with kids. You would think, if nothing else, it would make them think twice about how cool the wrestlers who are being booed actually are. Kids don't think along the lines of "neckbeards" and "Mom's basement" or whatever other derisive stereotypes are tied to smarks. If I'm a kid and I noticed a house divided between people older than me and people my age, I wouldn't have sided with my peers.

Has this occurred to anyone else? How does WWE overcome this as well as they do?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Kids will cheer whoever they're told to like and are presented as a big deal, like Indians.
That's false, otherwise for WWE would be easy to replicate Hulk Hogan or John Cena success.

Kids prefer likable characters than winners, Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio never enjoyed the "superman booking" yet still kids loved them.

That's the reason Daniel Bryan main evented a WrestleMania and CM Punk don't, Bryan was likable meanwhile CM Punk was just cool.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
This is WWE's attempt at marketing to children:

and

Can't decide which was worse of these two segments…

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
That's false, otherwise for WWE would be easy to replicate Hulk Hogan or John Cena success.

Kids prefer likable characters than winners, Jeff Hardy and Rey Mysterio never enjoyed the "superman booking" yet still kids loved them.

That's the reason Daniel Bryan main evented a WrestleMania and CM Punk don't, Bryan was likable meanwhile CM Punk was just cool.
CM Punk might not be the best example, even as a face he was never exactly portrayed as a, to use a wrestling term, white bread babyface, like the two other guys you mentioned, Cena and Bryan. I'm not sure Punk was ever really expected or ment to get the kids behind him. He was more of a character for teenagers and adults.

Also while yeah Jeff and Rey didn't get superman booking they were still clearly big stars in the company and presented as such on tv, so to say they weren't winners isn't entirely accurate. It was also clear the company was pushing for kids to love them, I'm not saying kids just cheered for them because of WWEs crowd manipulation, they got over organically with kids and the whole crowd in general (novel concept I know :p) but you can't deny they did everything they could to encourage it.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
As someone who works with kids, trust me- kids these days don't want to be older, they think they already are older. The attitudes can be astounding. Kids generally don't look up to adults anymore, the changes in society are to a point where apparently kids are equal to adults. I'm sure most of us here missed that memo when we were kids. That little clip of the kid kicking Mojo? That's a snapshot of what A LOT (not all) of kids today are like.

·
Registered
11,139 Posts
Children get smarter and smarter by the generation.

They aren't fooled by the BS.. they think for themselves for the most part.

It's the evil "adults" that try to ruin their innocent minds.

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
Why can't we go back to the days where wrestling wasn't some kid show and we didn't have to invite fucking annoying cunts like Sophie Grace on TV to entertain a crowd of WRESTLING fans.

This > Sophie Fucking Grace

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
I don't know where this "kid fans are idiots, they'll cheer for who they're told to" came from tbh. Kids are way smarter than people give them credit for. The kids I saw at Mania weekend events were wearing a bunch of different wrestler shirts, not just the usual ones you'd expect.

·
Registered
9,832 Posts
On the surface, the reasons why kids love Cena and support Reigns seem pretty obvious. Those guys almost always win and a kid who thinks it's real doesn't want to associate with a loser. Kids are easy to market to so when they pass a t-shirt stand in an arena that has way more products for one guy than everyone else combined, they accept that this wrestler stands above the rest. And Cena and Reigns are Mom-approved. They don't see them cheating or chewing out the fans so they see no overtly bad influence this person could have on their child.

But when I was a kid, there was nothing I wanted to be more than older. I didn't go to a WWE show at a very young age but if I did and I got seated next to a group of men in their 20s, I would be inclined to think those guys are cooler and know more about the world than I do. It's honestly a pretty big shock to me that the sight of older fans in the arena booing their heroes has not cut deeper into the inherent advantages Cena and Reigns have with kids. You would think, if nothing else, it would make them think twice about how cool the wrestlers who are being booed actually are. Kids don't think along the lines of "neckbeards" and "Mom's basement" or whatever other derisive stereotypes are tied to smarks. If I'm a kid and I noticed a house divided between people older than me and people my age, I wouldn't have sided with my peers.

Has this occurred to anyone else? How does WWE overcome this as well as they do?
I 100% agree with you, it's the reason many of us were drawn to the NWO, DX, Austin, Rock etc. it wasn't just because they were awesome, which they were, it was also because we saw older teenagers and college kids flock to shows and cheer them on TV. We wanted to go with the "cool" crowd and get behind these guys as well while also booing the same people they did because naturally as a kid you want to act older than you are.

So it's kind of confusing as to why it doesn't happen today, but there are a couple of things you have to keep in mind. Many of the parents in the crowd with their kids, were once kids who grew up cheering Austin and being all anti-authority, but have since become SAWFT and don't want their kids to be negatively influenced or some dumb shit like that.

The other thing to keep in mind to, is just because there are older people in the crowd cheering/booing a particular superstar it doesn't mean a kid wants to be like them. I went to Survivor Series last November here in Toronto and there were a group of guys in their early 20's that were behind me cheering guys like Owens, Styles, Rollins but were booing Roman to no end. Thing about them though is they were the definition of neckbeard live in your mom's basement kind of guys. They attempted to start annoying chants and were distracting for most of the night. I think kids today are a little smarter and would look at these guys and think they're weird as fuck. So the cool older kids that were in the crowd when we were kids have been replaced with geeks that happen to be in that same age group. That's not to say it's like that all the time, but I'm sure 50% of people in their early 20's that go to WWE events are like this.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Kids like interesting looking people. Hence why Vince McMahon turned his wrestling promotion and the wrestlers in it into comic booky sideshow. It was way easier to market it to kids.

Do you think John Cena wears a lot of primary colors by accident??

I also want to say that kids aren't as dumb as people tend to think they are. When I was little my friends and I very much noticed that Hogan would win all the time and act like a bitch when he lost to the point where he were sick of him....we just didn't like him sycophantically because he won all the time.

·
This Post Is Rated R
2,755 Posts
lol dude, long gone are the days kids listen to their parents and admire their elders, kids will cheer for who they or their friends like, simple.

Reactions: Rookie of the Year

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm in early twenties so I started watching in the end of Attitude Era Era and start of Ruthless Aggression Era and I can say that I never for once cheered Cena even most of my friends did but it is part of something that I always like 2nd top guy in anything I like.

Movies,Wrestling,Games,Comic books,and even Football.

That's why Randy is my favorite,I like Christian more than Edge,and so on.

I liked Ronaldo in football though at the time Messi was rising and dominating everything and portrayed in public as a humble guy with Ronaldo being arrogant and so on.

It is part of your character and when I thought about it I realized that it is because I will admit that I was always the 2nd top guy in anything I do so it looks like I'm related to them.

Kids think they want to be the best in everything so they will go for the best as their idols and the cool guys get 2nd for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts