Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's not even watchable. Tfw WWE seems like an episode of Impact lol. Only thing that seems decent are the Big PPV's but even they suck now lol. This year's WM, RR and SS were terrible.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Stone Cold has been retired in 16 years at this point, so a random yearly appearance or two by him will not boost the ratings at all. We all know he's not gonna wrestle but just cut a promo full of "WHAT?" and then give someone the stunner, a scenario we've seen a billion of times since like 2004. The Rock successfully crossed over into an extremely successful actor, so his appearances on weekly shows and PPVs made casuals tune in, plus he can still go in the ring if needed to, unlike Austin who's done.

Anyway, people have been calling pro wrestling dead since the fall of WCW and ECW. At least now we have AEW, which has a lot of potential. It's not like we're in 2013 anymore where WWE is pretty much the only game in town. Hell, even months before AEW came in to existence, I made a thread here asking if we'd ever see a WCW sized company take on WWE again and the overwhelming majority of people said no... yet all it took was one rich guy to change the business. So I'd not call pro wrestling dead.

Wrestling wasn't dead until it went to HD. It was still very well alive and 23873872829137x better than the product now.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Going to throw out a couple of numbers.

North American paid attendance average April 1st to June 30th 2019 = 5,800

NA paid average April 30th to July 30th 2004 = 3,800

Number of network subscribers on June 30th 2014 = 700,000
Number of paid network subscribers in USA on June 30th 2019 = 1.17 million.

WWE hits 1 minute YouTube subs February 2013 (channel launched in 2007)
Hits 10 million on February 2016
Currently sitting at 48 million

WWE youtube channel second most watched in history btw.

Highest gate in wrestling history took place at Wrestlemania 32 will $17.3 million in ticket sales
Second highest gate in history took place at Wrestlemania 35 this year ie $16.9 million

WWE shopzone processed 786,800 orders during 2018 and 818,600 in 2017.

WWEShop processed 290,000 orders during 2010 as compared to 300,000 in 2009.

So business is far from dead. Vince isn't some genius that can create $1 billion in annual revenue from a dead industry.

Smackdown barely draws 2 million viewers a week. Nothing compared to what it used to. No one watches anymore. And it continues to get worse and worse over time
Nobody watches yet it's been #1 on cable the past 6 weeks in a row...what does that say about the rest of the shows on Tuesday nights?

SD has been averaging 2ish million viewers since it's move to USA in 2010 https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/sdsdskdh279882992z1/friday-cable-ratings-viewers-not-holding-closer-teach-tony-danza-haven-still-stable-friday-night-smackdown-more/

WWE programming on TV doesn't exist in a bubble. In 2011 the UFC debut on Fox with Cain Velasquez in mainevent drew 5.7 million viewers. In 2019 the UFC debut on ESPN with Cain Velasquez in mainevent drew 1.4 million.

You mentioned TNA a few times but TNA drew those numbers when far more homes had cable and far more people watched it.

The fall off from prime time cable watching between 2011 and 18 across the board is massive. Ten years ago stuff like Jersey Shore and Duck Dynasty was doing 10 million viewers.

Even in 2018 fall was big with some networks seeing double digits falls

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dead? No .

Interest declining - perhaps. Vince will sell the company within two years. Moving out of Titan Towers all but seals it.

·
Banned
884 Posts
I don’t think wrestling is dead, but then I’m not basing my opinion solely on televised wrestling. The British wrestling scene is pretty decent if you’re somebody who enjoys a night out. There’s some great little feds producing some great cards. I find myself edging more towards that scene these days.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Going to throw out a couple of numbers.

North American paid attendance average April 1st to June 30th 2019 = 5,800

NA paid average April 30th to July 30th 2004 = 3,800

Number of network subscribers on June 30th 2014 = 700,000
Number of paid network subscribers in USA on June 30th 2019 = 1.17 million.
1) Wrestlemania and the Saudi show heavily flatter the 2019 figure. WM didn't fall within the 2nd quarter in 2004 and wasn't even held in a stadium anyway. The facts are that attendance is scaling downward from previous years. Last year's average attendance was down by about 8% from 2017. This year's average attendance will probably be even worse. Rollins and Kingston are the lowest drawing champions since Benoit, Guerrero and Booker T.

In 2010, WWE averaged 6.3k for their live events throughout the year. Even with the two stadium shows this year in Q2, they couldn't even beat that average for 1 quarter.

2) WWE Network was obviously going to grow from launch. It is now, however, losing subscribers year on year. Another sign business is tending downwards.

3) The NHL and NFL have both seen viewership gains this year. If you have the right stars it is possible to gain or at least retain viewership. WWE just don't have that at the moment.

4) There are literally billions more people on the Internet in 2017/2018 than 2009/2010. That explains WWE's growth in Youtube views and merchandise sales.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts