Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, WWE in 2019 has lowest rating and viewership of all time. the rating are all time down. no star powers, no story, no exciting match. even Stone cold Steve Austin couldnot bring good rating to RAW and he is biggest star in WWE along with The Rock.

Even 2009 was not that bad and 2007 was attitude era level of good compare to crap now. we had John cena, CM punk, Orton, Batista, Edge etc are all bigger stars than Seth rollins, Roman reigns and AJ styles let alone guys like Rock, Austin, Undertaker, Mankind. Only Good talent today is Fiend and thats it.

but some say AEW is future and will Kill WWE and it would be like old WWF or WCW so i decide to watch AEW, when I watched first PPV, i was like who are these guys? all i have seen some bland indy flip flop guys, some guys wear some wierd mask and i realize that its just another glorified indy show. apart from Jericho and Mox. AEW is full of jobbers and unknown people.

then i realize Wrestling is just dead. not just WWE. AEW is also another indy fed show. even WWE at its worst have better roster than them.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It really comes down to how well AEW does. If they flop then yeah, the business is pretty dead. The indys are more popular then ever because exposure is a lot easier to come by then it was 10-15 years ago, and WWE is making more money than ever because the business model has changed, all they have to do is garner a mediocre TV rating and they get a huge subsidy because live programming is all the rage with TV executives nowadays.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Stone Cold has been retired in 16 years at this point, so a random yearly appearance or two by him will not boost the ratings at all. We all know he's not gonna wrestle but just cut a promo full of "WHAT?" and then give someone the stunner, a scenario we've seen a billion of times since like 2004. The Rock successfully crossed over into an extremely successful actor, so his appearances on weekly shows and PPVs made casuals tune in, plus he can still go in the ring if needed to, unlike Austin who's done.

Anyway, people have been calling pro wrestling dead since the fall of WCW and ECW. At least now we have AEW, which has a lot of potential. It's not like we're in 2013 anymore where WWE is pretty much the only game in town. Hell, even months before AEW came in to existence, I made a thread here asking if we'd ever see a WCW sized company take on WWE again and the overwhelming majority of people said no... yet all it took was one rich guy to change the business. So I'd not call pro wrestling dead.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stone Cold has been retired in 16 years at this point, so a random yearly appearance or two by him will not boost the ratings at all. We all know he's not gonna wrestle but just cut a promo full of "WHAT?" and then give someone the stunner, a scenario we've seen a billion of times since like 2004. The Rock successfully crossed over into an extremely successful actor, so his appearances on weekly shows and PPVs made casuals tune in, plus he can still go in the ring if needed to, unlike Austin who's done.

Anyway, people have been calling pro wrestling dead since the fall of WCW and ECW. At least now we have AEW, which has a lot of potential. It's not like we're in 2013 anymore where WWE is pretty much the only game in town. Hell, even months before AEW came in to existence, I made a thread here asking if we'd ever see a WCW sized company take on WWE again and the overwhelming majority of people said no... yet all it took was one rich guy to change the business. So I'd not call pro wrestling dead.
AEW roster is trash and worst than WWE. only jericho and dean ambrose are marketable and thats because they were in WWE and Jericho is WWE legend.

other than, its roster full of jobbers. wrestling need larger than life characters to draw.

WCW produce wrestlers like Goldberg and Sting and they even outdraw WWF at that time.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
AEW roster is trash and worst than WWE. only jericho and dean ambrose are marketable and thats because they were in WWE and Jericho is WWE legend.

other than, its roster full of jobbers. wrestling need larger than life characters to draw.

WCW produce wrestlers like Goldberg and Sting and they even outdraw WWF at that time.
I get your point, but tbh it's a new company and wWE is the largest wrestling company in the world, not to mention an older and more established name. AEW has to start somewhere. People like Orton, Rey Mysterio, Cena and Reigns aren't just gonna leave WWE for AEW. With time AEW might sign someone from NJPW, TNA or whatever else and/or possibly develop local talent. Somewhere down the line perhaps we'll get a few big stars. I'm not even talking Hogan/Austin/Rock level here. But if AEW are able to produce someone on the same level as Triple H or Undertaker in the next couple of years it'd be quite a feat already.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think it's too soon to write it off, wwe main roster seem to have pulled their socks a little of late and it may continue and we have yet to see where nxt and aew getting major TV exposure could lead to.

·
Banned
155 Posts
The Fiend isn't the only talent in WWE. They also have R Truth, Elias Samson and Braun Strowman. Braun Strowman needs to go back to his old ways of being a monster and destroying things. I would also bring back the Hardy Boyz as a tag team because they know how to work the crowd.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I dont think its dead as WWE is making more money then ever. AEW is in huge demand. The indys are up.

The problem with wrestling is that WWE have had no competition. Casuals see WWE as wrestling. WWE have become lazy and sloppy in all aspects and the standard has dropped. Not only that, times change. TV ratings are no longer the most important thing. Theres so many ways you can consume wrestling when you want.

Lets hope AEW succeed and not only push WWE to produce great content but AEW too. With that all the other companies can up their game.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So, WWE in 2019 has lowest rating and viewership of all time. the rating are all time down. no star powers, no story, no exciting match. even Stone cold Steve Austin couldnot bring good rating to RAW and he is biggest star in WWE along with The Rock.

Even 2009 was not that bad and 2007 was attitude era level of good compare to crap now. we had John cena, CM punk, Orton, Batista, Edge etc are all bigger stars than Seth rollins, Roman reigns and AJ styles let alone guys like Rock, Austin, Undertaker, Mankind. Only Good talent today is Fiend and thats it.

but some say AEW is future and will Kill WWE and it would be like old WWF or WCW so i decide to watch AEW, when I watched first PPV, i was like who are these guys? all i have seen some bland indy flip flop guys, some guys wear some wierd mask and i realize that its just another glorified indy show. apart from Jericho and Mox. AEW is full of jobbers and unknown people.

then i realize Wrestling is just dead. not just WWE. AEW is also another indy fed show. even WWE at its worst have better roster than them.
Wrestling died in 1996 when the nWo made it cool to be a heel and later when the anti hero Steve Austin became the face of the company. Yes there was tremendous short term gains from that period but ultimately it was only going to end in the destruction of the business.
Professional wrestling has always been at it's core about good vs evil, heel vs face. Without that it's just fake fighting and no normal person would want to watch that and they don't. It's over. Took me over 20 years of disappointment and anger to finally realize it's over.

Survivor Series 1996 was the last night the WWE was a professional wrestling company, Madison Square Garden the hero Bret Hart returned and defeated the heel Steve Austin, the likable Sid defeated the unlikable, forced 'face of the company' Shawn Michaels. For that one final night the faces triumphed and the fans get what not only what they wanted but what was best for business.

OP : Move on my friend, there are a myriad of sports, movies and hobbies to enjoy.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
OP you need to understand that AEW's roster is yes largely unknown but there's a reason for that...because they want to make their own stars. I don't get why people always whine that WWE needs to build up new stars yet we have a company that's getting ready to do just that and people complain because they "don't know them".
I thought we wanted new stars? Or just want to watch the same people you've been watching for years doing the same shit over and over again?

Like you realize that alot of these people have been on the indy circuit and you could google their matches and promos right? But I guess that's too much to ask even though you googled this site, made an account, and made this thread.

With that said no. Wrestling is not dead There's WWE, there's AEW, and there's the countless other promotions big and small that are out there. Just because it's not as big as it was in the 90's doesn't mean it's dead.

·
Registered
396 Posts
AEW's roster isn't that bad, i'd argue they have the best tag team division in the world right now (Young Bucks, SCU, Lucha brothers, LAX). They also have other guys like Kenny, Moxley, Cody, Hangman Page and Penta who is a solid singles competitor, all of them can be main event stars no problem. As for the rest of the roster most of them are indy talent and people are slowly getting to know them for the lack of a weekly TV show, but that problem will be solved once the TV show begins. They're lacking on the "big guy" department tho, where are the batistas, the goldbergs, the lesnars etc? they need some solid powerhouses, the closest they have is luchasaurus.

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
The wrestling industry is doing fine, it's just not culturally hip anymore. A ton of casual viewers will watch today's product and will find it comically / unbelievably stupid and geeky, unless they've been indoctrinated into the way that the product has shifted since it's gradual decline in ratings.

The UFC Lightweight Division has basically been the "cool" professional wrestling of the past 5 years.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Wrestling died in 1996 when the nWo made it cool to be a heel and later when the anti hero Steve Austin became the face of the company. Yes there was tremendous short term gains from that period but ultimately it was only going to end in the destruction of the business.
Professional wrestling has always been at it's core about good vs evil, heel vs face. Without that it's just fake fighting and no normal person would want to watch that and they don't. It's over. Took me over 20 years of disappointment and anger to finally realize it's over.

Survivor Series 1996 was the last night the WWE was a professional wrestling company, Madison Square Garden the hero Bret Hart returned and defeated the heel Steve Austin, the likable Sid defeated the unlikable, forced 'face of the company' Shawn Michaels. For that one final night the faces triumphed and the fans get what not only what they wanted but what was best for business.

OP : Move on my friend, there are a myriad of sports, movies and hobbies to enjoy.
I have to agree, once you get rid of good V evil and everyone plays video games together, it's all just fake. That's why they should cater to children and seniors. I used to watch wrestling with my grandmom when I was 3, now I'm 36 watch it with my kids.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Personally, AEW doing well means that a lot of hardcore wrestling fans are tuning in the show. I think its damn near impossible for wrestling in general, not even WWE to get a really big casual fanbase and if they do, they will all be kids. WWE or AEW could be putting out Emmy worthy shit but wrestling will always have the stigma of "ew its fake". Especially now that UFC is bigger than ever and pretty much have fighters who are legitimate draws and legitimate badasses, people will go there instead since its an alternative that is actually real and badass. Its for adults. AEW with how fun it is, isnt as cool as UFC and I dont think they will retain a casual fanbase big enough for wrestling to be bigger than ever.

Reactions: TommyWCECM

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
This is the most buzz wrestling has had in at least a decade. No it's nothing compared to the Monday Night War era, but it is ludicrous to say the whole wrestling product is colder now than it was a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts