Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
17,145 Posts
Yea, as much as I'm amused by some of the negative crowd reactions (assuming that they're just playful), I don't think Cody Rhodes deserves the backlash and hate that he gets on a weekly basis.

He's a BIG reason why this wrestling promotion is even around in the first place.

I'm forever grateful for that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, as much as I'm amused by some of the negative crowd reactions (assuming that they're just playful), I don't think Cody Rhodes deserves the backlash and hate that he gets on a weekly basis.

He's a BIG reason why this wrestling promotion is even around in the first place.

I know which is why i'm shock at the hate he gets I know his chracter is kinda stale but the hate he gets is over the top.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I know which is why i'm shock at the hate he gets I know his chracter is kinda stale but the hate he gets is over the top.

Of course there are people that legitimately hate Cody but, it's more of a meme at this point imo.

The same crowd cheers Cody when he's wrestling as Fuego Dos on Dark.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
17,145 Posts
Of course there are people that legitimately hate Cody but, it's more of a meme at this point imo.

The same crowd cheers Cody when he's wrestling as Fuego Dos on Dark.
Wait, Fuego Dos IS Cody Rhodes????

Dude, I've watched EVERY episode of AEW Dark since Day 1, and I'm just NOW realizing this a month later after his 'debut' 😂

I did get the occasional vibe that he looked somewhat familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it at all. I do remember Taz joking around on commentary that he's Ten (from the Dark Order) :p

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I seen the writing on the wall in November 2019 when he came out of the losing end of a Jericho feud smelling like roses with his heat intact. He didn’t drop down the card, nor did losing impact his character in any meaningful way.

And that is the real crux of the matter: as fans, we want to enjoy a character’s story arc and ride the wave of pain and triumph that wins and losses bring to our protagonists and antagonists. Cody, and to a lesser extent Jericho, just bounce in and out of feuds with no impact to their character.

If Austin wins, he’s going to celebrate with the fans and soem Steve-weisers. If he loses, he is going to be spitting mad and ready to snap on anyone that crosses his path. Why is Adam Page’s story worth so much to AEW? Because every moment that he lived in front of that camera in the last 3 years had an impact on his character’s emotional state of being. Why was Sting able to capture the hearts and minds of every wrestling fan for 18 months without saying a word..? Because the universe he created, WCW, around him was falling apart, which had an impact on him.

Win or lose, Cody is going to give you the same Cody rHHHodes. You’re going to see him come out of the floor, mean mug, smile at the crowd, do some shady shit in the match hinting at a heel turn to try and be cool for the fans that lean more heelish, get cheated in order to draw sympathy from the fans who lean more babyface, and repeat it all over again.

In his quest to prove that there are no heels and faces, just shades of grey, Cody seems to have angered fans that are all too keen in seeing this, and this is what he’s left with: having his babyface memorabilia-thrown-in-the-crowd moment chucked back at him to the point that he was visibly shook and seemed to tag out of the match in order to avoid more notable backlash in front of the camera.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
And that is about as fair as I can be on the subject.

·
Waiting for Kawato
2,687 Posts
I mean I don't think he's THAT big of a reason. What, because he took Meltzer's bet? He didn't set that show up on his own, he wasn't the one responsible for ROH's best ever tour, the Tokyo Dome sellouts, massive uptick in New Japan World subs, or, you know... Providing the money. Once they got started he certainly played a big part, and was a great babyface for them out the door on the way to getting that TV deal early 2020 which saved their asses prior to the pandemic.

That he could have gone from that to where he is now is just sign you kind of have to roll with the times, and he hasn't. At this point I'm not sure how despised he really even is, and how much of the boos are really just people booing because that's what you do when you see Cody. I do like that he's playing up to it more now, but not sure that'll change anything.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Wait, Fuego Dos IS Cody Rhodes????

Dude, I've watched EVERY episode of AEW Dark since Day 1, and I'm just NOW realizing this 😂

I did get the occasional vibe that he looked somewhat familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it at all. I do remember Taz joking around on commentary that he's Ten (from the Dark Order) :p
Yeah pretty sure, who knows though it could be Juan Cena, haven't seen that guy in a while, think he got released. 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 97 Posts