Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is tna ever gonna get big / even some decent ratings that actually stay and dont drop after week from a ppv. not a troll thread of anything just a legimate question for everyone round here. the show can be good now and then but its very annoying at times.

my main issue at the moment why do they have to keep mentioning things from wwe or past times. like this week tna they brought up marty jannety in a promo

·
Banned
1,788 Posts
"decent ratings"

who are you comparing their ratings to? you realize 1.1 1.2 1.3 and even 1.4's are near or 2 million viewers right?

The wwe was getting in the 3's the last time i checked... this is a company that has been around for decades.

casual fans make up for the majority of the viewing audience.. internet fans are probably like 5-10 percent IF THAT. casual fans want to watch wrestling they are going to watch something they know.. something theyve known as a kid .. the wwf/e

·
Banned
1,788 Posts
and bubba didnt bring up jannety as an insult to the wwe.. he actually praised the wwe and shawn michaels.. last week on impact he said "IM SHAWN MICHAELS youre marty jannety"

there's nothing wrong with acknowleding the competition.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
and bubba didnt bring up jannety as an insult to the wwe.. he actually praised the wwe and shawn michaels.. last week on impact he said "IM SHAWN MICHAELS youre marty jannety"

there's nothing wrong with acknowleding the competition.
Vincent Kennedy McMahon says hi.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Vince McMahon constantly mentioned WCW back in the day, he was obsessed with it almost.

It happens.

But, to wrestling fans, the Michaels/Jannetty comments makes sense. Doesnt matter what company they were from, it is about the relationship between the two wrestlers.

Not being allowed to compare their situations to The Rockers would be like the Los Angeles Lakers PR Dept not allowing anyone to compare Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan simply because Jordan wasnt a Laker.

Silly.

·
Banned
1,788 Posts
oh wait.. i rememebr something he said .. he said tna was doing grown up wrestling and in his opinion people didnt want to see that kind of wrestling,.. than i remember dixie responding.

but theres been two or three times vince has mentioned tna that i know of.

·
Premium Member
44,440 Posts
Speaking of the Jannetty comments, does anybody think it really fits? I mean, sure, Marty didn't achieve the success of Shawn Michaels, but he at least got an IC Title run and a Tag Title run with another partner. Its like he did nothing.

I think Neidhart is more suiting of being recognized as that partner that accomplished nothing after a great tag team broke up. Once The Harts split, Bret got put on the path to stardom and Neidhart did almost nothing. The most significant thing he did after The Harts split was being Owen's stooge and thats it. Both him & Marty ended up being jobbers in WCW, so they both ultimately had the same fate.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
TNA's ratings are fine. TNA has shown that there product can draw consistently over one million viewers. TNA needs to stop being obsessed with ratings and focus on other aspects of their business. This of course can all be addressed once TNA fixes their presentation problem.

There is nothing wrong with mentioning another company as long as its within COMPLETE context.

For example: TNA mentioning Mickie James is a former multi-time WWE women's champion sounds great. It makes Mickie sound decorated and a sure fire KO title contender. What ISN'T okay is TNA basing an entire angle around a TNA worker being upset and wanting to beat the living shit out of Mickie because Mickie 'had a hand in her being fired from WWE'. So the entire feud isn't based around anything that happened in TNA but rather someone who is pissed off at being in TNA and STILL WANTS TO BE IN WWE.

TNA just needs to make a rule. No mentioning of WWE. None. Zero. And if someone does then they are fired 5K. Hands down and no excuse, because people like Taz just LOVE mentioning WWE whenever a chance arises. TNA loves taking shots but hasn't paid enough attention to their own product.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I think what it comes down to is the pro wrestling audience has greatly diminished, it's now comprised mainly of children and smarks. The TNA product is geared towards a more mature audience, so that pretty much just leaves them with the smarks, and people like Eric Bischoff refuse to accept that. The IWC, not generalizing, but I'd say a good portion, can be a tuff crowd because they always feel like their intelligence is being insulted. Alot of them don't realize pro wrestling is always going to be campy and goofy, that's part of it's charm.

·
Banned
1,788 Posts
a bigger concern for TNA is ppv buys.. what was it that bought their ppvs? .5% of their audience? they garner over a million viewers.. they should really try to get at least get 1 percent of their audience to buy their ppvs.. that would be a start.

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
I dont get it. Why are people so stupid when it comes to ratings. Is it just the 15 year old kids that dont get it.

TNA is doing well in ratings if you understood how they work at all.

If you are comparing the ratings to wwe a mega force been around for 60 plus years getting 3. something.

TNA getting like 1.4 that is good ratings for a small company around for 8 years.People need to understand marketing is one of the biggest reasons for any success. Of course TNA has all kinds of problems. Regardless they are still doing fine in ratings.

That dont change the fact they waste all there money on all the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
340 Posts
TNA's biggest problem is a lack of marketing. Their product is interesting, their roster is pretty talented, and they are doing a good job overall, just they have no way of getting people fired up about the show. I remember with WCW every affiliate of TNT (TBS, most notably) would advertise the hell out of WCW Nitro and Thunder). TNA is on Spike TV which is owned by VIACOM. That means the following are in the Spike Family:

From Wikipedia
Film production and distribution: Viacom International, Paramount Pictures, MTV Films, Nickelodeon Movies
Television networks: Comedy Central, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, [email protected], Nickelodeon, TeenNick, Nick Jr., MTV, VH1, MTV2, Tr3́s, CMT, Palladia
Video gaming: Harmonix, GameTrailers, Neopets
New media: MTV New Media

Why isn't TNA at least paying for SOME advertising on all those other stations, especially Nickelodeon and MTV. At the very least, TNA needs to have their talent appearing on shows on those channels.

Bringing in new people is where TNA could really benefit.

Mentioning WWE looks pretty tacky since WWE never (or at least, rarely) mentions TNA on air because that's free advertising. Every time WWE is said on TNA, that's money that WWE didn't have to spend to create awareness. McDonald's spends millions to billions on this yearly so that every child by age 3 can recognize the gold arches the second they see them. WWE is getting that for free because TNA takes shots. If on the off chance even one person wasn't aware of WWE somehow, then they just gave them a new viewer.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
i think in nutshell one is asking what if tna never made a single mistake, never did one thing wrong like

if tna pushed Scott Hall instead of K Kwik Shamrock and Jarrett
if Raven Joe and Jeff Hardy got the title earlier then they did
if they gave it to Monty Brown KAZ Hernandez Daniels when they started getting hot
if they continued rotating use of indy\puro\lucha guys week in and week out
if they didn't overuse gimmick matches
if they still gave their wrestlers insurance
if every veteran they hired was fed like candy to the younger guys
if they still booked the tag team and womens divisions as good as they once were

maybe they would be bigger and better off then they are now

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
TNA is never getting bigger, nor will any rival company. TNA are doing well to grow in a declining business.

Try somewhere around 25-30%. And that's a conservative estimate.
Hell no. THe IWC is like 30,000 people at a the very very most.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Hell no. THe IWC is like 30,000 people at a the very very most.
its not 1997 anymore

freaking half the world is on the internet,tna even try to convince their audience to follow them on twitter, visit shoptna and vote in polls on special occasions

Alot of them don't realize pro wrestling is always going to be campy and goofy, that's part of it's charm.
does it also involve no continuity, no common sense, fourth wall breaking, no structure, no succession, convoluted stories and plots

if you are still okay with all that on top then i can safely say you have neither artistic standards or opposable thumbs

why is it so hard to comprehend that wrestling has the potential to be so much better and more than how the public sees it as and tna could be one to make this shift occur

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
i think in nutshell one is asking what if tna never made a single mistake, never did one thing wrong like

if tna pushed Scott Hall instead of K Kwik Shamrock and Jarrett
if Raven Joe and Jeff Hardy got the title earlier then they did
if they gave it to Monty Brown KAZ Hernandez Daniels when they started getting hot
if they continued rotating use of indy\puro\lucha guys week in and week out
if they didn't overuse gimmick matches
if they still gave their wrestlers insurance
if every veteran they hired was fed like candy to the younger guys
if they still booked the tag team and womens divisions as good as they once were

maybe they would be bigger and better off then they are now
Sometimes I wonder what TNA would be like if:

-Monty Brown won the TNA title at FR 05
-Rhino held the title for at least 4 months
-Christian Cage retains his title at Slammiversary 2006
-If TNA would have paid Gail Kim the money she wanted

1 - 19 of 19 Posts