Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Pretty much what I'd do is take the framework of what Lucha Underground did and make that the standard. LU felt current and Cool with it's characters and storylines. I'd take that and make so that characters Like MJF and Moxley can exist in that type of setup. The way WWE does it looks junior high is and low budget. Step that shit up.

I'd also tap into the meme/internet culture. That's pretty fucking important today and people here need to stop acting like it doesn't matter.

Have people get over in different ways. If someone gets over by wrestling cool. If someone gets over by their promos then cool. Not everyone can or needs to be the Rock or Stone Cold.

This goes into the second point but let the talent do shit on the Internet Xavier woods has his YT channel. Why not have a few of the wrestlers do a Being The Elite type of thing? you can showase your roster in a whole new way with something like that.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is the alarming thing, it will just get worse. It is going to get even worse than it already is. The next generation of Pro Wrestlers is one that will have grown up watching this current Era forget everything that makes Pro Wrestling popular and fun. Its just going to get more workrate obsessed, with all the other stuff becoming extinct. How many young guys today have any promo skills at all, or any ability to work a character?
Hardly any, thats why its just so boring now.

Pretty much every face is a smiling underdog. Even wrestlers who have a bit of character and promo ability have no character. Whats Kevin Owens supposed to be? Anti authority guy? Cool guy? Cocky face?

No, he is just Kevin Owens.

Bland......

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This is the alarming thing, it will just get worse. It is going to get even worse than it already is. The next generation of Pro Wrestlers is one that will have grown up watching this current Era forget everything that makes Pro Wrestling popular and fun. Its just going to get more workrate obsessed, with all the other stuff becoming extinct. How many young guys today have any promo skills at all, or any ability to work a character?
No it won't become extinct.. because come Wrestlemania, we would get the treat i.e. HHH putting himself in a high profile feud again because the so called guys he hired don't draw..Maybe it was his master plan all along, just saying ?

Seriously though, Ya most stuff is already extinct. Character work is such a rarity these days.. Think about it, we have probably had one outstanding feud all year and thats Chris Jericho vs Cody and it most definitely is not because Chris jericho worked a 5 star match (although it was pretty good) or that they "worked hard" each week. Meanwhile, in WWE on Smackdown, we have had a grown man calling himself "The Big dog" and heels putting dog food on him and on Raw, the terrible acting in the terrible Lana Lashley Rusev storyline.

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
Pretty sure majority replying to this thread didn't read OP.

I do agree to some of the OP made. There is a vast difference from what was called pro wrestling in the 1950s and what Vince Jr created since 1984 ie a cartoon comic book soap opera. There is very little to compare the two.

Pretty much what I'd do is take the framework of what Lucha Underground did and make that the standard. LU felt current and Cool with it's characters and storylines. I'd take that and make so that characters Like MJF and Moxley can exist in that type of setup. The way WWE does it looks junior high is and low budget. Step that shit up.

I'd also tap into the meme/internet culture. That's pretty fucking important today and people here need to stop acting like it doesn't matter.

Have people get over in different ways. If someone gets over by wrestling cool. If someone gets over by their promos then cool. Not everyone can or needs to be the Rock or Stone Cold.

This goes into the second point but let the talent do shit on the Internet Xavier woods has his YT channel. Why not have a few of the wrestlers do a Being The Elite type of thing? you can showase your roster in a whole new way with something like that.

That's all I got.
LU made no money in his 4 years in existence so why copy that format?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Pretty sure majority replying to this thread didn't read OP.

I do agree to some of the OP made. There is a vast difference from what was called pro wrestling in the 1950s and what Vince Jr created since 1984 ie a cartoon comic book soap opera. There is very little to compare the two.

LU made no money in his 4 years in existence so why copy that format?
Because despite that it's a good format? Also. It lasted 4 years so clearly it did well to some degree. There's some potential there that I think with more exposure could work.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
better in the ring - they work much harder - promo ability isnt that important - and the booking team are at fault for the bad promos anyway - all time great promos like rollins and owens have been given bad material - making them look worse than what they are -

the attitude eras roster was crap - austin was very good but overrated - the rock and foley were bad workers - undertaker was overrated - its the same for the golden era - hogan couldnt wrestle - neither could savage piper and others - none of these performers would draw today - they arent talented enough and would be booked badly - they would all be like lashley -

give rollins the same push and booking as austin - and well - hed be the biggest draw in wrestling history -
I wouldn't even give them that. They would be booked like Elias. I can easily see Hogan in that slot.

·
Asuka
96,501 Posts
This is some of the goofiest stuff I've ever heard. WWE is actually better off with Vince, amazingly.

I'm so sick of the skits and the soap opera in wrestling. What people want to see are great matches by great athletes. Thank god for AEW and New Japan.
As proven by the amazing, ground breaking ratings and widespread awareness of AEW and New Japan.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've actually posted something similar to this on the forum about a year ago or so. I think there are a few important steps that should be taken : 1) Give the wrestler more freedom. Both in the ring and on the mic. I think every single gimmick should have it's own features, carisma and wrestling moves. I know that's impossible but I think too many performers nowadays are mainstream on both aspects. 2) Different types of feuds. I think the heel vs face dynamic is kinda forced sometimes, as if it's the only way to start a feud between 2 wrestlers. I think wwe should build storylines according to the characters and not just because a heel attacks a face or because a face gets in the way of a heel. Think about Batista vs Triple H or Kane vs The Undertaker. Those 2 are considered as the 2 best storylines in the history of WWE. They both had a huge, long-developed story behind. It all would have been way more different if Kane and Batista would have just been simple challengers that attacked them because they were heel/face. 3) Build up some stables and build a deep, interesting storyline behind them. Again, I could take Evolution as an example, or even the Shield. It was so intriguing to see how the story evolved and how everything led to the various betrayals and face/heel turns. Plus, stables are a great way to push significantly multiple superstars at the same time. Batista, Randy Orton, Rollins, Reigns became great stars thanks to their respective past stables

·
Registered
885 Posts
Wrestling isn't cool anymore, and it never will be again. It's time to accept that it's become a niche form of entertainment that the average person can't enjoy.

Go back 20 years ago and you had some of the biggest contemporary musicians doing special versions of theme songs for wrestlers. Disturbed, Method Man, Run DMC, Ice T, Motorhead, Saliva... the names go on and on. Who in today's WWE could get a big name star to do a theme for them? Who in today's WWE is perceived as cool? No one. The days of wrestlers being cool like Stone Cold, The Rock, DX, Undertaker, Kane, etc. are gone.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
People need to realise a big part of what's behind all this crap is how the WWE has changed. It's not the pro wrestling company it was 20 years ago and more, it's an entertainment company now, with so many different revenue streams other than what goes on in the ring. That's how Vince wants it, and therefore it's run differently than a mere wrestling promotion.

They have to consider now what they put on TV has ramifications for their shareholders, advertisers, impact on social media etc etc. It's the modern day monster

The WWE 'brand' now placed above any of the wrestlers now, that's why every square inch of arenas are lit up with branding and fucking bright shit everywhere. It's a technicoloured mess.

Because this mindset is the prevailing one - wrestlers themselves are second fiddles.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
The answer OP, is Lucha Underground. That show broke the mould of what "Pro-wrasslin" "sports entertainment" is. If you haven't seen it, please do.

It's basically Mortal Kombat. Brilliant, brilliant show.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,049 Posts
I'm so sick of the skits and the soap opera in wrestling. What people want to see are great matches by great athletes. Thank god for AEW and New Japan.
All evidence points to the opposite.

People want characters that they can emotionally invest in. People want characters that they can root for or root against. People want stories and feuds that they can get into and care about who wins.

Workrate doesn't draw no matter how badly the hardcore workrate marks want it too. Pro Wrestling is ultimately just a TV show, and like all TV shows it needs the characters, the stories, the connection to its audience. Pro Wrestling cant just rely on the sports aspect because its fake. Look around recently, its Beckys character work, Bryans character work, MJF's heel work, Jerichos character work, etc that people rave about. Name one match that has had fans buzzing as much as a Jericho promo in AEW?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts