Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get the self-deludedness of some people thinking it is somehow honorable to care for someone when you can hardly take care of yourself. Adoption isn't the voodoo you think it is. Please think of the community and more importantly the child before trying to raise a new unplanned baby.

Just my rant for the day. I know not everyone's going to agree.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't get the self-deludedness of some people thinking it is somehow honorable to care for someone when you can hardly take care of yourself. Adoption isn't the voodoo you think it is. Please think of the community and more importantly the child before trying to raise a new unplanned baby.

X2 This.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,967 Posts

People are just really uneducated and think they will be able to handle anything. A lot of people just rush in to things without thinking it out fully or they assume everything will just fall in to place.

Unfortunately, the kid always suffers.

·
Banned
788 Posts
If you need a licence to drive a car you should need a licence to have a kid.

It could even strengthen the human race, weed out all the weak.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,725 Posts
I think that if you unfornately fell on hard times and you are trying to provide for the kids by any means than I wouldn't call that selfish. I've seen and lived around selfish parents that did nothing but collect government checks and didn't care for their kids at all. All they did was buy them a shitload of junkfood and let them roam around outside. It's those that know that they can't support and child and do nothing for the child that makes me call them selfish. I won't call out anyone who can't support a kid but refuses to give them up because I've never had kids before. I don't know what it's like to actually let your flesh and blood go into a strangers hand and home. Even though you can keep in touch with them, it's not the same. I don't think that it's selfish to raise kids in poverty. Sometimes you fall on hard times. It's those that do nothing about it that to me seems selfish. Having an unplanned baby when you know that you are on hard times yourself isn't all that selfish to me. It's just ignorant. What you do for the kid should matter.

·
Friends Come And Go,Banners Hang Forever
25,686 Posts
It's the same problem with Africa, the families there think they need as many children as possible to sustain their farms/work/homes and stuff and to ensure that some survive, but if they only have a few and properly take care of them then those few have a far higher chance of survival and will likely help a lot more.

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
I don't think that it's selfish to raise kids in poverty. Sometimes you fall on hard times. It's those that do nothing about it that to me seems selfish. Having an unplanned baby when you know that you are on hard times yourself isn't all that selfish to me. It's just ignorant. What you do for the kid should matter.
That.

It is not selfish in the slightest to raise your child by yourself even if your living circumstances are poor. Not everyone has an easy road in life and unfortunately some people fall on hard times. There is also a difference between absolute and relative poverty. Being out on the streets, living off a miniscule amount is absolute poverty and there aren't a whole lot of people in developed nations that live like that and raise a chile. Relative poverty is living with significantly less income than the medium.

Now if you're on government benefits, and decide to have a lot of kids. Yeah you're being a drain on the economy, society and stereotypicaly are less intelligent but is it selfish? Depending on the circumstances it could be the complete opposite. If you're having/raising a family to get a welfare check from the government then yes that is selfish. If you're spending that money on your kids, on their education and their life then it is the complete opposite of selfish. Selfishness is only caring about one's own welfare and benefit, if you do everything to help your kids then its very selfless.

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,967 Posts

Really doesn't solve anything.

People 'behave' when getting their licence just to get the licence.

Just because you pass something doesn't mean you will be good at it afterwards.

·
Banned
788 Posts

Thats a very good point holy fuck.

But i was thinking it would be based on income, family history, criminal records ect.

but still, thats a damn good point.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't think calling it selfish would be fair to be honest. Things happen where it's out of their control and they can't do anything about it. A mother can't plan for her boyfriend/husband suddenly leaving nor can she plan for the child being born prematurely or with a disease. In all honesty I'd rather have parents barely scraping by doing their utmost best for the child to even have a meal before going to bed. Instead of those sickening people who just have unsafe backstreet abortions or people who drink and smoke heavily during pregnancy. And there are people who even go through with having childbirth and then just wrap the kid up in a garbage bag and toss them in a bin somewhere. Those are the selfish people, someone raising a child in poor financial situations is just someone with some bad luck man and/or are at a bad point in having a child or are just ignorant to the severity of the situation.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
This whole idea is so dumb imo. Some of the world's greatest historical figures were raised in poverty. The conditions you live in growing up can pretty much shape a person.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If it was up to you there would be no African-Americans today.
No, no, no wait I'm not trying to put racial implications into this at all. All I'm saying is that shit happens some things you can't avoid and some things happen that are completely avoidable but they still occur. I'm not turning this into a racial discussion or pointing fingers at a specific group of people at all.

·
Rolex Bomb Defuser
410 Posts
No, no, no wait I'm not trying to put racial implications into this at all. All I'm saying is that shit happens some things you can't avoid and some things happen that are completely avoidable but they still occur. I'm not turning this into a racial discussion or pointing fingers at a specific group of people at all.
My post was directed at the OP.

I'm not implying people with those beliefs are racist but if we use the standard the OP has set there would be no African-Americans left.

It's very easy to sit back and judge people but until you have spent time with them, get to know them and understand their situation your opinion on what kind of person they are doesn't hold much value.

I've been around people of all situations from the poor, homeless, single mothers etc and nothing is what it seems at face-value. To look at the poor and call them selfish because of raising their own children is stupid and it makes no sense.

The majority of people are living in their own little world and have no idea that their perception of things is simply based on their own up-bringing. So for somebody to look at a group of people that grew up in an entirely different situation than theirs and judge them shows how idiotic that person is.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My post was directed at the OP.

I'm not implying people with those beliefs are racist but if we use the standard the OP has set there would be no African-Americans left.

It's very easy to sit back and judge people but until you have spent time with them, get to know them and understand their situation your opinion on what kind of person they are doesn't hold much value.

I've been around people of all situations from the poor, homeless, single mothers etc and nothing is what it seems at face-value. To look at the poor and call them selfish because of raising their own children is stupid and it makes no sense.

The majority of people are living in their own little world and have no idea that their perception of things is simply based on their own up-bringing. So for somebody to look at a group of people that grew up in an entirely different situation than theirs and judge them shows how idiotic that person is.
Oh my bad, well you've pretty much said it all, with that post.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,630 Posts
Eh my grandparents brought up 8 kids living in utter poverty and they all turned out completely fine and happy. I don't know how they swung it but they did, and from what my father/uncles/aunts tell me they had a pretty happy childhood even though they were poor as fuck and had some of the saddest sounding dinners I've ever heard of. :lmao In short, stop putting so much value on having THINGS like it's all that matters in the world and the key to happiness. It is neither.

·
Premium Member
17,416 Posts

But with a license comescomesa set standard: stopping at red lights, or a speed limit. So who determines the rules of a 'child' license. Plus, what about accidental pregnancy? Now people are forced to get a license, or maybe even an abortion if they don't want to follow the rules of that license.

·
Banned
882 Posts
This is why a lot of couples wait for years to have children sometimes, because they can't afford it. Why have a child and then struggle to take care of it? Seems cruel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts