Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always enjoyed the guy since he can put on great matches, sells like crazy and for what I know is comfortable on the mic too.
However, recently, I've heard "let's go Ziggler" chants which existed already before but now can be heard no matter who Ziggler faces. He got them against Sheamus and for a while they were louder than Sheamus' chants.
So do you think WWE will turn him face during this current storyline or based on those reactions? I would prefer heel Ziggler since it would allow his character to gain depth far more likely than a babyface character would.

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Eventually he will get noticed by all fans,
Everytime he comes out to that ring, he performs. He puts on a show, as his nickname suggests, he is the show off.
I would love him as a face, I think he could really connect with the crowd, then again I also like him as heel.
Whatever gets him on TV, is fine by me.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
I would prefer heel Ziggler since it would allow his character to gain depth far more likely than a babyface character would.
And a babyface character would allow him to gain something more valuable than depth. Can you guess what it is?

.....WINS. Oh yeah, and he's been heel for how long now and still has no depth? Yeah, good luck on that.

LOL @ him being "in danger" of turning face. He's "in danger" of being branded a career jobber, which is actually what he should be.

And no, they're not going to change his face/heel persona based on some smarks chanting "Let's go Ziggler". If they did that, Daniel Bryan would be a face by now.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I honestly wouldn't mind him turning face, at least his booking would improve. I really like his heel character but lets face it, he isn't going anywhere right now.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
I find it insane that just because he has heel in his twitter handle, he should never turn face.

Turning him babyface is about the only chance he has to improve his standing in the company.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Crowds can cheer at anything. So I wouldn't take cheers as a sign that he should turn face. He's constantly placed on the top three biggest heat lists for house shows, so he is a very over heel.

Ziggler is one of those characters that works best as a heel. I can't imagine him being a believable face. Everything about him is cocky, arrogant, and full of himself. These are not face traits. And when he is in the ring, he doesn't have a strong face moveset to offset that. If he tried going face, it would end up being very awkward and in the end, he would be stalled on the card because he couldn't get himself over as a face. Ziggler says himself that he wants to be a career heel, and I'd guess that he knows his character's direction the best and what he can and can't pull off on TV.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And a babyface character would allow him to gain something more valuable than depth. Can you guess what it is?

.....WINS. Oh yeah, and he's been heel for how long now and still has no depth? Yeah, good luck on that.

LOL @ him being "in danger" of turning face. He's "in danger" of being branded a career jobber, which is actually what he should be.

And no, they're not going to change his face/heel persona based on some smarks chanting "Let's go Ziggler". If they did that, Daniel Bryan would be a face by now.
You're right about the wins thing. Heels get booked like shit in the WWE and for Ziggler himself, a face turn would be a better option.
As far as the depth goes, it's quite hard to gain it when you hardly get a hold of the mic. As an independent heel booked correctly, Ziggler would actually get the mic and showcase a real personality for the first time in his career.
For the 'smark chant' points: have you noticed that outside of the chants Orton, Cena, Punk and some of the other hugest babyfaces get, all the other chants are actually pretty 'smarky'. And I'm currently fearing Daniel Bryan will be turned face in the near future unless his reactions die down, so that's why I fear the same for Ziggler.
As faces they would of course get booked better, but couldn't be as entertaining.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Turn him face for a while, let him gain support through his amazing in ring talents and charisma and then turn him heel again to establish him as a top star

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Ziggler as a face with the Show Off gimmick could be money, but he'd have to retain every current feature he has a heel right now. WWE doesn't do that when they turn heels face, so turning him might be a mistake right now. He needs to get over with the casuals first.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ziggler (hence my username) and it annoys me how much they flip flop over his character. One week he's intense, the next a show off, then a cheeseball, a goof doing headstands, sometimes cowardly, other times cocky. He's just given generic heel qualities which don't enhance his character week on week. Such a shame for a guy with great potential.

Anyone remember the catch phrase "no offense!" he had for about two weeks? That was my personal favourite.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ziggler (hence my username) and it annoys me how much they flip flop over his character. One week he's intense, the next a show off, then a cheeseball, a goof doing headstands, sometimes cowardly, other times cocky. He's just given generic heel qualities which don't enhance his character week on week. Such a shame for a guy with great potential.

Anyone remember the catch phrase "no offense!" he had for about two weeks? That was my personal favourite.
He uses most of his catchphrases on Ryder's show and sometimes on Download. I still have no clue why they don't let him do it on TV. AT LEAST let him end his promos with "Later, marks."

·
Eating Doritos In My Mom's Basement. A Crawl Space
1,398 Posts
#Face just doesn't have the same ring to it.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Sometimes for some unknown reason WWE intentionally hold big talent back either because they dont fit their mould or because they are too stupid to see it.
After a while these guys usually get over massively by them selves because of their natural talent, and even if the WWE dont like it they end up going over massively with the crowd whether they are heel or face because they realise that whats in front of them is an extremely entertaining and talented guy.

CM Punk towards the end of his heel run, Daniel Bryan most recently are examples of this, the crowd are just beginning to realise just how good Ziggler is and its only a matter of time before he outgrows swagger and vickie and fulfill his potential, it is however a slow process and hopefully Ortons suspension is a massive opportunity for Ziggler to step up.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
#Face just doesn't have the same ring to it.
He can be 'The Heel' and still be a face. Razor Ramon was 'The Bad Guy' and was a face for long periods. Being a face would just mean that he goes against heel opponents and doesn't insult the crowd. He doesn't have to turn into a smiling Cena-like fruity pebble just because he is face, he could keep pretty much the same character. Same goes for Bryan, who should definitely be face.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Ziggler has the potential to be successful as a face. He's got a good look, is fantastic in the ring, and he bumps like an absolute champ. He could turn face right now without changing his character at all.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
You're right about the wins thing. Heels get booked like shit in the WWE and for Ziggler himself, a face turn would be a better option.
As far as the depth goes, it's quite hard to gain it when you hardly get a hold of the mic. As an independent heel booked correctly, Ziggler would actually get the mic and showcase a real personality for the first time in his career.
We aren't talking about booked correctly, we're talking about WWE booking (although if you ask me, what they're doing with Ziggler IS the correct way to book him, since I see no star value in him whatsoever). That hasn't happened, and it isn't going to happen. Largely because Ziggler's personality is a figment of his fans imaginations, but also because the WWE doesn't believe in developing characters anymore. You have to weigh the pros and cons of what's better for him according to what he'll get.

Heel - No character development and jobbing

Face - No character development and wins

If I were a Ziggler fan, I'd be begging for a face turn right about now.

And I'm currently fearing Daniel Bryan will be turned face in the near future unless his reactions die down, so that's why I fear the same for Ziggler.

As faces they would of course get booked better, but couldn't be as entertaining.
I just don't see why you're not willing to pay that price. Yeah, we all want to be entertained, I know I do. I'm a huge CM Punk fan, and admittedly, I'm not as interested in his character as I used to be. His previous work as a heel was much better than what he's doing now, and so was his early face (this current face run) work. But if the COST of him being more entertaining is WWE throwing him back to a jobbing upper midcarder? God no, give me Punk as he is now. I'd rather they reward the man for his talents than let him be more entertaining but get punished for it. Ideally he could be the best character possible AND get top level booking but that just doesn't exist anymore. That pretty much went away with Austin.

I don't even see what you'd be missing. Ziggler and Bryan only really have ring work anyway. The quality of their matches isn't going to decrease if they turn.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
He can be 'The Heel' and still be a face. Razor Ramon was 'The Bad Guy' and was a face for long periods. Being a face would just mean that he goes against heel opponents and doesn't insult the crowd. He doesn't have to turn into a smiling Cena-like fruity pebble just because he is face, he could keep pretty much the same character. Same goes for Bryan, who should definitely be face.
In today's WWE, that type of face doesn't exist. Slowly every face becomes a happy, smiling face or else they get depushed. After all, the show is marketed towards family and kids and some level of pandering is needed to pull that off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts