Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to wonder if WWE is beginning to take risks with how they present Cena, and whilst not necessarily looking to turn him heel any time soon, they're certainly beginning to undermine his character in certain vignettes as a test bed.

Lately he's become a glorified chat show host, throwing around barbs and ZINGS! about pop culture, and I don't know if the crowd are seemingly lapping it up. He's been seen not really taking threats seriously and has been nothing more than Mr. Jokey Jokey in the middle of heated feuds.

Sure, you could say that's his character now, but at the same time he has had his character torn apart for all to see. When Miz & Riley unleashed that sarcastic laugh at one of Cena's jokes a few weeks back on RAW... well, quite honestly I felt that made Cena look like a total goof, while Miz and Riley looked like a million dollars together and sucked all the heat away from him.

The whole "CM Sucks" shtick made Cena look a goofball yet again, and served in a no way to getting under the skin of Punk. Like Miz and Riley, Punk openly did a shit on Cena's attempts at humour. I know this is PG, but how immature do you go with your main guy?

And then came last night....

The Rock has always been one to rip ass vocally on his opposition. Whether it's Rikishi being a fatty, or Triple H's nose... he has always been one to try and hammer away at their credibility. His roast on Cena was something else though. Cena was destroyed, from his catchphrase, to the ever-released range of shirt/cap/sweatband combos. He was made to look like a total joke.

WWE have always been ones to play it safe and protect their superstars in regards to what their image/gimmick conveys and dictates. Cena, being the big babyface and FACE of the company, has always been top of the totem pole in regards to how they will promote his fans and cover up his detractors.

I've never been a Cena hater, I admire the guy. But how they're presenting him on TV now, well, it's like they're trying to broadcast him as annoying. It's possible they're playing with tweener status to better respond to the crowd reaction he creates.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if WWE is beginning to take risks with how they present Cena, and whilst not necessarily looking to turn him heel any time soon, they're certainly beginning to undermine his character in certain vignettes as a test bed.

Lately he's become a glorified chat show host, throwing around barbs and ZINGS! about pop culture, and I don't know if the crowd are seemingly lapping it up. He's been seen not really taking threats seriously and has been nothing more than Mr. Jokey Jokey in the middle of heated feuds.

Sure, you could say that's his character now, but at the same time he has had his character torn apart for all to see. When Miz & Riley unleashed that sarcastic laugh at one of Cena's jokes a few weeks back on RAW... well, quite honestly I felt that made Cena look like a total goof, while Miz and Riley looked like a million dollars together and sucked all the heat away from him.

The whole "CM Sucks" shtick made Cena look a goofball yet again, and served in a no way to getting under the skin of Punk. Like Miz and Riley, Punk openly did a shit on Cena's attempts at humour. I know this is PG, but how immature do you go with your main guy?

And then came last night....

The Rock has always been one to rip ass vocally on his opposition. Whether it's Rikishi being a fatty, or Triple H's nose... he has always been one to try and hammer away at their credibility. His roast on Cena was something else though. Cena was destroyed, from his catchphrase, to the ever-released range of shirt/cap/sweatband combos. He was made to look like a total joke.

WWE have always been ones to play it safe and protect their superstars in regards to what their image/gimmick conveys and dictates. Cena, being the big babyface and FACE of the company, has always been top of the totem pole in regards to how they will promote his fans and cover up his detractors.

I've never been a Cena hater, I admire the guy. But how they're presenting him on TV now, well, it's like they're trying to broadcast him as annoying. It's possible they're playing with tweener status to better respond to the crowd reaction he creates.
I agree completely. They're not really protecting Cena as much as they have done in the past and this could be an easy way imo to open the door for a potential heel turn somewhere down the line. It's all on WWE though if this has a negative impact.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
He hasn't really been in a proper main event for awhile, hasn't defended a title for awhile. But he is still the top guy. Probably just having a break. The program with Rock should be epic.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I hope they do with Cena what they did with Rock from his fued with Hogan on. Make him a heel, with the possibility of the crowd still loving him. Leave him with his usual character, but alter it slightly to have him be the heel out of two faces. Actually, ironically the possible fued with the rock could be the perfect platform.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
2011 seems like the year John Cena is going to turn heel.

It seems like every other week, someone is calling Cena out on how lame and stale he has become. CM Punk has repeatedly drilled that Cena isn't the hero the fans think he is, and that deep down, he isn't a good person. The Miz treats Cena like a joke, laughing at his insults and calling his promos "corny".

And now, FINALLY (pun intended), The Rock has come back to berate John Cena on his position as WWE's current poster child, and essentially said Cena was Barney the Dinosaur in comparison to former faces of the company like himself and Steve Austin.

Basically, what WWE seems to be attempting to drill into the fans heads is that Cena's act has finally gotten old, and now he's becoming a joke.

Usually, when the fans start to notice their hero's act is growing old, that hero becomes a major villian. Just ask Hollywood Hulk Hogan.

We'll only truly know at WrestleMania though...

·
Banned
3,115 Posts
I am really digging the attitude era verses the p g era from john cena I am not a seen a fan but I do admire his loyalty and I would love to see this match this would be a great opportunity for john to turn heel but either way the promo by the rock what excellent and gave people a great night of wwe raw

·
Registered
284 Posts
Depending on how long The Rock intends to stay on WWE television then they could turn Cena heel in their sleep. If Rock is back for a good while beyond WM (and I'm talking at least a year) then the fans will happily turn on Cena if Rock wants them to.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Heel? Probably not. BUT they may be repacking him soon! When Cena has been trying to be funny, he is failing, but his serious promos seem to be pretty decent, like when he vowed to destroy the Nexus. In my opinion they are getting ready for a great Cena push, more comparable to the attitude era style.

Look at Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Chris Jericho, and then look at Cena. All of those guys had some seriousness to them, which Cena is seriously lacking! We don't laugh when the Rock is cutting a promo because the Rock told a joke, it is because he is being the Rock! Telling Cole he'll shove the lap top up his ass was funny (to me) because that is what the Rock as a character would do.

When Cena comes out to cut a non-serious promo he has to tell jokes or make comments, as Cena the character is fairly weak and unable to just naturally fit dialogue with the character.

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
I think maybe WWE are trying to reinvent Cena. I think when they were initially building him they had a badass anti-establishment character in mind but gradually over time bits of that character just chipped away until you've got the big ball of fluff you have now. By turning him heel, which if it happens I think will only last a couple of months to a year at the longest, it will give him his 'edge' back and get all those that boo him back on his side. Then they'll turn him back but this time make sure they keep his 'edge' and in turn creating a star on par with Rock and Austin.

Maybe, just maybe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.