Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
You preach about WWE ignoring what fans want and pushing their agenda. Well, the fans have spoken. They want Roman Reigns, and there's no reason to derail The Reigns Train.
Tbf, he only gets pops from time to time any more these days. I dunno. The fans SORT OF still want him. I imagine if he keeps delivering the most god awful of promos and never improves )he clearly hasn't improved at all since the breakup) then those pockets of fans will die out.

He's more of a trend than truly "over" IMO. He's a one trick pony and once people start to see that and shades of Cena, then they pull away. I was even a Reigns fan for a while until I noticed that he just wasn't a good performer and ddin't really care to be. It feels like Dean and Seth kept him motivated when he was in the shield. Now his true colors are showing though and you don't get over and stay over by not really being good at any facet of professional wrestling WHILE AT THE SAME TIME lacking a desire to get better. It's just a recipe for disaster as the last 10 years have shown us.

I'll never get how anybody can support this type of behavior, mentality, just overall type of performer.

That's not saying that he won't main event the next 5 Manias. He clearly will.

·
The EST of NXT
28,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The "writing" of the Attitude Era wasn't that great.

Sure, you always had everyone involved in some kind of story, but you also had things like Mae Young's hand-baby, Terri's miscarriage, Nicole Bass, etc.

It was definitely MUCH superior to what we see today, but that's not saying much.

Ruthless Aggression wasn't great either, maybe on SmackDown, but on RAW you had Triple H fucking a corpse, like, really?

WWE needs to move forwards not backwards. They could model their show after the Attitude Era, as in, everyone has a storyline, each segment serves a purpose, everyone has a character, but that's where the similarities should begin and end.
So you're just going to point out one off occurrences and ignore years of quality programming? NOPE, doesn't work that way.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
So you're just going to point out one off occurrences and ignore years of quality programming? NOPE, doesn't work that way.
Uhhh, he didn't. It really wasn't quality programming (in my opinion) outside of the main event and a few key feuds. Most of the midcard were mediocre wrestlers with ridiculous gimmicks that never really went anywhere. They had storylines but you never got a good payoff because the matches were generally bad. For every Austin, there was a Godfather. For every Rock, there was a D-Lo. For every Guerrero, there was a Kurrgan, etc.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Again the attitude days was just WWE trying too manufacture the ECW style with Jerry Springer car crash tv,the thing that die hard Vince Russo fans praise him for but now boo him.And plus it was WWE at a time of panic that Nitro was beating them from 1996 and 7 on words with the NWO.And there was a reason back then for it now there is no reason for it.It not breaking new ground it all been done before and last RAW was crap if it was not for Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I named more than one... but, for your entertainment.

Kai En Tai and Val Venis castration angle.

Puke/Hawk/Animal Puke killed Hawk exploitation of Hawk's substance abuse.

Corporate Ministry which went nowhere

Higher Power angle (Which made no sense.)

Invasion (OMG...)

Dog Kennel matches (WTF?)

Brian Pillman wears a dress.

Big Bossman/Big Show

Shall I go on?

As much as the attitude era gets praised, it had a lot of shit quality too, tbf. It was GREAT! Don't get me wrong, but that's mostly due to the Main Event talent at the time.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
At a time when WWE is at its worst, they decide to remind us what a great time it was to be a wrestling fan in the 90's.
I disagree with the first half and agree with the second.

Yeah, I get that alot of people are really shitting on the product at the moment, I really do. And even though I don't utterly despise it as much as some, you can't really say it's the worst it's ever been. Since were on the topic of the Network, go back and watch a few RAWs from 1995. I love Bret, Diesel and HBK, but even with all three of those guys being featured, I couldn't make it past a month worth of RAW. This is just a common cycle of RAW slumping at a certain part of the year and it won't look as bad in a month or so when it settles back down.

But, yes it was a great time to start watching in the 90s. I consider myself very lucky that my first year was 1997.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Yea, they did shoot themselves in foot.

The product they're putting out right now is horrendous so where oh where is the same quality they put out back in the AE?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Were you watching Smackdown before you stopped? Because Smackdown, especially in 2002-2003 was on another level. 2003 Raw is one of my least favorite years ever but I think they bounced back big time in 2004-2008 (I think that's when it ended, right?) while Smackdown stayed pretty consistent.

I'll take the RA era over any other.
I missed most of everything except for the Mania's from 2003 through 2008.

The last thing I really remember about RAW in 2003 (when I stopped watching period) was Triple H's reign of doom, which seemed to go on forever, and ever, and ever.

I saw Mania 19 live, and Mania 20 live. 21 I didn't watch till years later and I grabbed 22 on DVD at my local rental place (remember those?!)

But as for the TV shows, I missed most of the Ruthless aggression era, well past when H wasn't the champion anymore. I've gone back and watched all of the 2006 PPVs. My two favorite ones are Unforgiven 06 and Mania 22. Other than that I firmly vote the entire era down.

I was an Attitude era kid though. Even now watching the Attitude Era RAWs, while they are cheesy as fuck, I still have this strange connection to them.

But with the network eventually I will be able to go back and watch those Smackdowns that maybe I ignorantly skipped over because the RAW product just had me in "time to turn this off" mode.

Reactions: Brye

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
I missed most of everything except for the Mania's from 2003 through 2008.

The last thing I really remember about RAW in 2003 (when I stopped watching period) was Triple H's reign of doom, which seemed to go on forever, and ever, and ever.

I saw Mania 19 live, and Mania 20 live. 21 I didn't watch till years later and I grabbed 22 on DVD at my local rental place (remember those?!)

But as for the TV shows, I missed most of the Ruthless aggression era, well past when H wasn't the champion anymore. I've gone back and watched all of the 2006 PPVs. My two favorite ones are Unforgiven 06 and Mania 22. Other than that I firmly vote the entire era down.

I was an Attitude era kid though. Even now watching the Attitude Era RAWs, while they are cheesy as fuck, I still have this strange connection to them.

But with the network eventually I will be able to go back and watch those Smackdowns that maybe I ignorantly skipped over because the RAW product just had me in "time to turn this off" mode.
Oh I'm totally with you on 2003 Triple H. It was his little WCW Retirement Tour feuds and everything about them was just lame. Even with Evolution forming, it was hard to be interested in Triple H's part at the time.

And holy shit, yes. I got a ton of wrestling DVDs when my blockbuster closed down a handful of years ago.

Just out of curiosity, not a fan of Judgment Day or No Way Out 2006? I really liked the SD PPVs from that year.

I'd definitely recommend some 2002-2006 Smackdowns though. Worth at least giving it a try. (Y) I thought Raw honestly got better in 2004 as well.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Oh I'm totally with you on 2003 Triple H. It was his little WCW Retirement Tour feuds and everything about them was just lame. Even with Evolution forming, it was hard to be interested in Triple H's part at the time.

And holy shit, yes. I got a ton of wrestling DVDs when my blockbuster closed down a handful of years ago.

Just out of curiosity, not a fan of Judgment Day or No Way Out 2006? I really liked the SD PPVs from that year.

I'd definitely recommend some 2002-2006 Smackdowns though. Worth at least giving it a try. (Y) I thought Raw honestly got better in 2004 as well.
I like the Angle Taker match from No Way Out but otherwise its just another event. Kind of like Fully Loaded 98. It had that wild ass bikini contest and other than that maybe a handful of people could tell you what the main event of that show was.

Still stand behind my statement that Unforgiven and Mania 22 are the best pay per views of that year. Even the Rumble sucked in my humble opinion.

Now wasn't 2002-2006 SD the era of the Smackdown six when Heyman was writing the shows? Like I know the history, but I couldn't tell you what happened on those shows.

·
L’APPEL DU VIDE
5,452 Posts
When isn't WWE shooting themselves in the foot? This is not a weekly event. Nor is it a monthly or yearly event. This is just the norm.

We're talking about the same company that thinks Flo Rida is relevant. That thinks Jerry Springer is relevant. That thinks having Michael Sam on the show is something people actually want to see.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
That golden era will never ever come back. I can clearly see the difference between The Rock, Taker, HHH, Y2J, Show, Lesnar, Orton, Kane & the rest of the current roster. As Jericho & Triple H said on TIJ, that was a special time.

·
Its Yer'sel
6,148 Posts
The AE was an anomoly of the business, brought out by the need to change target audidence due to the competition. They won, competition eliminated, so back to the product before, that works. There will never be a need for WWE to change or cater to new sponsers with a change in direction or audience again.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
That golden era will never ever come back. I can clearly see the difference between The Rock, Taker, HHH, Y2J, Show, Lesnar, Orton, Kane & the rest of the current roster. As Jericho & Triple H said on TIJ, that was a special time.
:jordan

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Normal Russo written raw in 1999, the same night of this is your life

The Big Show defeated Chris Jericho (w/ Curtis Hughes) by DQ (2:03)
D-Lo Brown (c) defeated Steve Blackman by DQ in a WWF European Championship (1:46)
Kane & X-Pac defeated The New Age Outlaws (Mr. Ass & The Road Dogg) (c) by DQ in a WWF Tag Team Championship Match (2:23)
Mae Young & The Fabulous Moolah defeated Ivory in a Two On One Handicap Evening Gown Match (2:53)
Chyna & Debra defeated Jeff Jarrett & Tom Prichard (1:11)
The Rock defeated Triple H (c) by DQ in a WWF Championship Match (7:15)

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
What the current product needs:

1. Proper storylines for EVERY superstar on the card. Superstars should have more freedom in terms of what they say.

2. Keep matches short and fast paced. Long technical matches are boring.

3. No commercials mid match. They need to put the commercials in the right places.

4. Go back to 2 hours. 3 hours is way too long.

5. More backstage segments. Show us more build up backstage for the main event/main storyline.

6. Push people with mic skills - Ambrose, Wyatt, Sandow, Barrett and Bo Dallas.

7. Turn Cena heel and bring CM Punk back.

8. Compelling main event storylines with shocks and swerves.

9. Hype up every show. Get that feeling of excitement back. Instruct the commentators to show more passion towards storylines. If not replace them.

10. Get rid of old superstars - Kane, Big Show, RVD, Jericho, Mark Henry etc.

11. No legend segments and no part time superstars. Try and sign Lesnar up fulltime.

Now did I mention blood, cussing or sex anywhere? You don't need any of that. The AE had certain things that should always be part of pro wrestling, such as having storylines for everyone. People say 'ass' and 'bitch' regularly nowadays anyway.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts