Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I doubt it. They sold the network to Peacock. Not sure of the terms. Is there anyone on that roster they want? All they really need are enough workers to feed Reigns/Rollins and Flair /Lynch/Sasha, and to look good doing it.

If there are any athletic looking 5’10 blond women or fit 270 lb men, they can just buy up those contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I doubt it. They sold the network to Peacock. Not sure of the terms. Is there anyone on that roster they want? All they really need are enough workers to feed Reigns/Rollins and Flair /Lynch/Sasha, and to look good doing it.

If there are any athletic looking 5’10 blond women or fit 270 lb men, they can just buy up those contracts.

They didn't sell the Network to Peacock. They licensed the content to Peacock for five years and 200 million dollars a year. This only pertains to the US distribution the Network's content Network as WWE Network itself still exists for people outside of the United States.

Anyway if they want to buy the content of ROH(assuming that it's for sale that is. There is no indication that selling the library is something that is in the table thus far) they will definitely try to.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Kinda doubt it despite they might be wants their video archives from past,such as the matches from AJ Styles,Samoa Joe, Seth Rollins (Tyler Black),Cesaro,even Adam Pearce but we know that's not gonna happen because if you look the promotion that already took by WWE, their library is still only have few content for outside WWE matches.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Sinclair probably doesn't see long-term value in it so it makes sense for them to sell everything to the highest bidder. I am not convinced in a reset like that, something seems off about it.

My top 5 choices:

AEW
WWE
Impact
Viacom

NJPW

AEW needs some more content, a lengthy library, but doing so requires a strong marketing team, a strong digital presence, and maybe a greater booking team. AEW would be wise to get ROH, and possibly a few of their top stars. If that happens then Jay Lethal should be the one to destroy Kenny Omega and become the new champion. It would also be wise for Khan to hire Sapolsky. A revived ROH with experienced and proven bookers by Viacom could pose a serious threat to AEW. AEW's main rival to the potential offer for ROH isn't WWE, it's Viacom.

WWE would love the chance at more content, especially as a package series for a few wrestlers who started out in ROH that are in WWE.

I know it seems surprising that Viacom is on the list, but they did hint that they want to get back into the wrestling game which means this would be their best way back into wrestling broadcasting. They would clearly bring in Sapolsky to lead a revived ROH, and likely air it on Paramount.

Impact (Anthem) could be a nice fit, and could easily pass it off as a merger of some sort and would be an amazing reset chapter for Impact. This is the best chance for Impact to get out of that rebuilding/potential phase.

NJPW wants to enter the North American market, and they could in theory keep ROH as a subsidiary, but I am not sure if they want to put the funds in for that.

I am fairly certain that one of these companies will make a solid offer for ROH.

Surprise mentions, but highly unlikely:

Bischoff - I think if he has the passion for it, willing to adapt to the new era, he can find investors and have an agreement in place to air it on Sinclair.

NWA - Long-shot but it would be a redemption story for NWA having been buried neck-deep and have managed to dig themselves out of a hole and outlast a rival.

·
it's a tarp!
7,495 Posts
Something WWE can do that AEW cannot, is offer Sinclair immediate alternative programming of their WWE product to air in place of Ring of Honor.

WWE gets their library, and Sinclair continues without missing a beat.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Nah.

ROH are just a content provider for Sinclair stations. Problem is it is run as a mainstream wrestling promotion, hence drains money. So they'll scale it down to something much cheaper.

Think a slightly lower budget OVW.

Same thing will happen to Impact eventually

That will continue until Anthem and Sinclair are sold themselves or go under. If that happens watch for WWE to purchase the library(s).

NWA will be fine because Corgan is funding it. MLW is too because it started from a fiscally conservative base.

·
Registered
156 Posts
They didn't sell the Network to Peacock. They licensed the content to Peacock for five years and 200 million dollars a year. This only pertains to the US distribution the Network's content Network as WWE Network itself still exists for people outside of the United States.

Anyway if they want to buy the content of ROH(assuming that it's for sale that is. There is no indication that selling the library is something that is in the table thus far) they will definitely try to.
I knew it was available internationally but didn’t realize it was only a 5 year deal. I suppose if I’d thought about it, $200 million would be a pretty scant payout in the scheme of things for perpetuity. Chapelle was paid almost 1/3rd that amount for 3 shows.

Not that Chapelle doesn’t drive far more traffic than the WWE or that he didn’t bring in more more subscribers than the network ever will (although Netflix is pretty cagey releasing metrics)

But NBC is getting 3-6 hours of live monthly content and there are 1.5 million or so diehards who will watch anything.

Plus, there is always the chance the next Rock, Stone Cold, Hulkamania, Hogan heel turn, type scenario could drive that number upwards or at least half the downward trend.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It was inevitably RoH would fall. At the end of time, all that will be left will be cockroaches and Impact. The prophecy must be fulfilled.

But Maybe RoH will survive. It seems their failure was beyond their control, fallout from Sinclair teetering on the brink or at the least losing a ton of money due to incompetent efforts to build a sports streaming network.

My understanding is Sinclair spent a fortune buying a bunch of sports properties hoping to stream. They had no right to do so. Their local Cubs network is a sad and spartan affair, and that is presumably among their crown jewels.

”Sinclair has no expertise in digital or streaming, has never built a direct-to-consumer subscription business and only covers a portion of the U.S.,” Greenfield added. “Sinclair is actually one of the worst possible choices for the leagues to partner with in digital.”

If RoH can escape the sinking ship of Sinclair, and I have no idea how entwined they remain if at all, the thirst for live entertainment means someone might take a crack at a cheap way to fill up air time.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
If they buy anything, it will be just the library.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts