Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ask me, I would say yes. Whether you like or dislike the product right now, people everywhere will always have a thing for wrestling. Even with the UFC's growing popularity, I think if they were to shutdown today, people would feel some way about it but would most likely move on to boxing or whatever.

If WWE was to go out of business today, people would probably feel like there's a void being left open without WWE. I'm not saying we should kiss Vince's feet or anything but lets be real. WWE is here to stay cause its apart of American society the same way NFL or MLB is whether you realize or not.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
If you ask me, I would say yes. Whether you like or dislike the product right now, people everywhere will always have a thing for wrestling. Even with the UFC's growing popularity, I think if they were to shutdown today, people would feel some way about it but would most likely move on to boxing or whatever.

If WWE was to go out of business today, people would probably feel like there's a void being left open without WWE. I'm not saying we should kiss Vince's feet or anything but lets be real. WWE is here to stay cause its apart of American society the same way NFL or MLB is whether you realize or not.
Yes....I think WWE is in the public consciousness the way that the Harlem Globetrotters are now. They are too established for a competitor to easily supplant them...but they are also so established as to limit their growth potential.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
Yeah, I'd say it is. It might not be as popular as it used to be, but it's easy to find someone who knows of (and at some point watched) WWE. It's even more noticeable with short clips with WWE references such as the ITS JOHN CENA! vine as an example.

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,027 Posts
With the John Cena memes everywhere, it's hard to find someone that doesn't know anything about WWE/Cena especially in the US. So I would say yes.

·
Registered
18,880 Posts
Begrudgingly, yes.

Similar to how a bastard red-headed stepchild is included in the family picture.

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
Yeah, i would say so. Even people who have little to no interest in wrestling will recognize the biggest names in the business.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Not just in America. In my country, the cable providers brought Raw, Smackdown and other PPVs because fans here constantly bothered them. I remember when they got it, the fans here got crazy and went straight to get subscription. And like someone said, people who used to or haven't watching wrestling know the biggest wrestling names like Austin, Cena and The Rock.

Sent from my XT1033 using Crapatalk

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
Definitely. And I think that's the only reason why WWE manages to continue to survive after so many years with such a shitty product -- wrestling fans just can't do without it, no matter how badly it's being presented. I'm sure Vince thinks it's because his product is awesome and without equal; but I think the pro wrestling concept is so ingrained that even he can't kill it, as much as it seems like he's trying to.

Interesting comparison with the NFL, because it's a similar situation -- football fans bitch and scream about the commissioner and officiating and everything else that's wrong with the league, yet they continue to watch it and throw millions of dollars into merch every year anyway.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts

I think if WWE shut down, no one outside of hardcore fans who still tune in every Monday and order the network would give a crap. Sure, it's ingrained in the culture in the sense that it's what people associate with wrestling. However, given the negative way many people view wrestling I don't think WWE going out of business would be treated as some tragedy by the general public. It'd make the news, and most people would be like, "Huh, WWE is gone, guess wrestling is dead. Meh, wonder what's on ESPN"

That's how relevant pro wrestling is in our culture right now. Nobody gives a fuck

·
Registered
115 Posts
WWE is and will always be. And not just in American culture either. There's countless countries where the WWE is part of their culture. That's why they keep making shit tons of money year after year even with boring, predictable and stupid booking decisions. However, "Pro Wrestling in general" isn't. Far from it. To most people WWE is pro wrestling and there's nothing outside of it. That's why it's almost impossible for anyone to ever compete with Vince now with WCW long gone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I think if WWE shut down, no one outside of hardcore fans who still tune in every Monday and order the network would give a crap. Sure, it's ingrained in the culture in the sense that it's what people associate with wrestling. However, given the negative way many people view wrestling I don't think WWE going out of business would be treated as some tragedy by the general public. It'd make the news, and most people would be like, "Huh, WWE is gone, guess wrestling is dead. Meh, wonder what's on ESPN"

That's how relevant pro wrestling is in our culture right now. Nobody gives a fuck
Gosh, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Also, thats the reaction most people would give UFC if they went out of business honestly.(I love UFC/MMA btw)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts