Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, the older and busier I get, it gets harder to keep up with TV nowadays. I always told myself it's hard or pointless to try to watch wrestling PPVs if you don't keep up with the TV and the storylines but I don't think that's true anymore. Between WWE/AEW/IMPACT/ROH/MLW/NWA, there is almost 20 hours of TV every week and hardly any of it is worth following and most of the time you can just get up to speed by watching the pre-match packages on the PPV or reading a little bit on it online.

Are your guys' wrestling sentiments and viewing habits similar to mine or is this just me feeling this way?

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
I'm right there with ya. I've wanted to give MLW and NWA a go, but it's hard to keep up and stay invested. It's not always the quality, but I think it's the effect these products can have on the landscape of wrestling. I have too much content to just want "good content" from my wrestling. I need "important content" from my wrestling. MLW and NWA, bless 'em, can't give me that right now.

I wanted AEW to be that important content. Basic cable, two hours, TV rights fees, slugging Vince in the money -- yes, this is what I want. This is what I need. They've let me down tremendously because it's not important.

I'm excited right now about Sinclair Broadcasting breaking the bank on Marty Scurll. If they invested millions ROH could feel important. Maybe? But I'm not going to stick with it just because Marty is a promising young wrestler. I need to feel like they're going somewhere and this could affect wrestling.

And yeah, WWE is to blame for a lot of things. They've gentrified wrestling so much. But it's also the way guys work, the way guys promo. You can go back and watch classic shit, and it just comes to life so much more. Now I spend more time listening to podcasters talk about wrestling than wrestlers doing it, because the talking about it feels much more important.

Right now, Marty Scurll is wrestling's greatest hope. Either that or another billionaire wants to get into wrestling because he can see that TV rights money in the distance and is disgusted by how AEW is blundering it by forcing a hungry TV audience away and onto DVR. Apart from that, I'll just keep waiting. Wrestling's let me down for a long time, what's a couple more years?

·
Premium Member
16,602 Posts
I follow ROH, AEW, and WWE on Instagram and Twitter. The only reason I have them, really. It allows me to see all the highlights and then choose if I want to catch up on a particular spot.

Having watched Wrestling a while now, I know what I like. I watch an hour of NWA; mostly promos and little wrestling. I'll watch NXT or catch up before their Takeovers.

Figure out what you like. Don't be afraid to skip a few shows, replacing and trying something new. I think the 'fear of missing out' is super minimal for wrestling.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I felt this way for years, since around 2011, until AEW came along. AEW changed everything, I watch each Dynamite multiple times and never miss it live.

It has literally saved my wrestling fandom that TNA threw away when they retreated from Mondays back to Thursdays.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It's become a chore to keep up with NJPW, besides the major shows. I just don't want to watch 25 random multi-man tags or a boring tag tournament. The major shows are still totally ace, though.

I still watch every ROH show but I usually skip the TV program now because it's like 65% recycled content since the format shift.

I watch Dynamite and Dark every week.

I tried to keep up with Impact and MLW for a bit recently but it's just too much. I only have so much time in a month to dedicate to wrestling and I do have other hobbies too (I follow boxing, football, baseball, hockey, basketball, lacrosse, video games, movies, etc). If I hear about a standout match from them I'll go back and watch it but I just can't follow 4 or 5 major promotions at a time.

I don't watch WWE or any other promotions anymore.

·
JANUARY 5TH
3,863 Posts
I stopped following weekly shows for more than a year before the AEW and the wednesday battle. I still don't follow as much as I did in the first 2 months but other than Dynamite and NXT, yeah weeklies not my thing. I prefer the touring aspect of Japanese wrestling.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Wrestling in North America don't have good storytelling anymore. Those days are over. First two seasons of LU was the last of great storytelling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it's a 1 hour show like MLW or NWA then I can sit through it. When its 2 hours or more I get really irritated coz most of the 2 hour + shows have redundant content. You either get an abundance of crappy promos like with WWE or an abundance of 30 minute matches where all they do is spot fest, flips & kicks like at AEW.

I think what makes NWA more watchable for me is due to how they usually only have 1 real match with the rest of them being squashes as the rest of the show is devoted to storyline. MLW typically only has 3 matches, but there's a lot of story development in between matches which builds up rivalries for future shows.

The main reason why I can't get into the mainstream wrestling feds as much, coz most of the stuff that happens at WWE or AEW, doesn't even matter. Since they don't matter, I don't feel like wasting my time since it's basically all filler.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Only you can answer that for you. I'm sure some big fans of wrestling watch ROH, MLW, etc, weekly and love them. If I had nothing better to do at the time, I might watch them every week, too.

From what I've seen, ROH and MLW aren't bad, but aren't great.

Back in the 90's, most people had no Internet. Wrestling was something to watch on TV, and it was better than a lot of shows at the time. With endless content to see now on the Internet, and streaming services, video games, etc, people just don't have to settle anymore for something mediocre. They can see exactly what they want at the moment. A mediocre wrestling match (or medicore anything) probably won't be too high on that list anymore.

Wrestling would have to become truly great to follow now days, better than your other interests, apps, etc. There's endless options for entertainment now days and people simply have better things to see now.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Keeping up with wrestling is a bit of a chore these days. I thought i found a happy medium with MLW and NWA but I’ve fallen off when it comes to watching their weekly programming. The shows are entertaining for sure but not MUST see. After falling several episodes behind I typically dont have the drive to continue watching and simply read up on things.

Lucha Underground was the last wrestling program that i could legitimately binge watch with no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts