Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMO I always felt that he was hell some fans might not even know he did color commentary. When fans talk about color commentary the names of JR,Gorilla Monsoon,Bobby Heenan,Gordon Solie and Jesse Ventura always come up but never Vince hell he is in my top 5 of color commentators. Do you think Vince was underrated on Commentary ???

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My top 5 color commentators by the way.
1.Bobby Heenan
2.Gorilla Monsoon
3.JR
4.Vince McMahon
5.Jerry Lawler(New Generation Era & Attitude Era )

·
Registered
177 Posts
I usually treat announcers are two different types: play-by-play men who call all the action, and colour commentary, who inject added insight or wit to fill the air.
McMahon was mainly a play-by-play guy. I didn't mind him. Thought he had a good voice and pressance, and played the vanilla good guy announcer well. I preferred Gorilla Monsoon, and Jim Ross though.
Colour guys I liked best were definitely Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan. Was watching some old footage and I didn't really care for Superstar Billy Graham. His insight and enthusiasm were fine, I just couldn't stand his voice and accent. Plus it's nice to have a heel in the mix on commentary.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I liked hearing him as an announcer, but I never really watched WWF. I think he is better than most of the other play by play guys. I actually am a fan of Bischoff as a play by play man. i thought he did a great job putting over all the talent coming in from Canada Japan and Mexico in WCW and making them seem like the best competitors in the world.

·
Registered
844 Posts
He had a good enough voice and he knew what the company was trying to get across in story better than anybody because he owned the thing. I'd say those were his strengths. I think he lacked knowledge in certain areas. I remember him still calling the hurricanrana a Frankensteiner years after the Steiners had left WWE. JR actually corrected him on that once.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I don't think calling a hurricarana a Frankensteiner is a bad thing. A lot of the audience still associated Steiner with that move. If CM Punk did a Pepsi Plunge I'm pretty sure they'd call it a Pedigree.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
I quite liked him as a play by play guy. He got over-excited at times but he was still pretty good. Much better than Michael Cole.

·
Butter My Arse
12,765 Posts
My top 5 color commentators by the way.
1.Bobby Heenan
2.Gorilla Monsoon
3.JR
4.Vince McMahon
5.Jerry Lawler(New Generation Era & Attitude Era )
Three of those guys were play-by-play commentators.

Vince was a very good commentator right at the start of his career in the 70s, then during the late 80s to early 90s he would adopt this aggressive, shouty method which I felt injected so much to the matches. It aligned with the cartoony, larger-than-life, gimmick ridden approach Vince was pushing at the time.

He may have sounded ridiculous (WHADDAMANOUVRE, 1-2-NOOOOOOOO! etc) and may botched a few calls, but at least he put some effort into it, unlike today's buffoons who just stare at their monitors in silent bewilderment whenever anything ground breaking happens.

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,397 Posts
Vince was one of the best.

I still remember Kane's debut.

"THAT MUST BE... THAT MUST BE K-K-KANE!"

Haha classic.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I still call it a Frankensteiner. Come at me, bros!

I loved how JR always called it a Stinger Splash!

I loved me some Gorilla growing up.Him and Bobby Heenan were amazing together. Those two were just huge parts of my childhood.

JR in his prime with Heenan in his prime would have been fun.

·
Premium Member
15,600 Posts
I still remember Vince, at the Canadian Stampede when Marlena was at home, saying:

"Marlena is a great woman, a great mother and when she's in the corner of Goldust, a great corner person."

I'd take him over Cole and every play by plan announcer WWE had since '97 not named Jim Ross or Joey Styles.

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts
It is a Frankensteiner and always will be. I never have understood why so few people want to call it what it is.

I liked Vice as a play by play guy. To me he was better with Jesse than Gorilla was.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I don't know if Vince, Jr. is the best commentator. However, he certainly ranks near the top. He can do interviews, color, and play by play.

When WWWF was in its infancy Vince, Jr. was a very polished and articulate young man who came across very well on the TV screen. IMHO, Vince McMahon, Jr. is the REAL living legend! (Sorry, Bruno!)

- Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts