Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I can't believe this shite...sorry for the language but seriously, wth? They have put on PPV worthy matches on a weekly basis for months now. Rollins v Reigns hsould not happen in a throwaway ep of RAW and no, just because the PPV is next week does not mean anything. Heck we've seen all the top stars in action against each other ALL THE DAMN TIME!

Why should I care about Rollins, Joe, Reigns etc in the same ring next week when I've seen them against each other week in and week out?

this is not how Vince used to book RAW. Yes every now and then there might be a "big" match but that would end in a dq or a run in from another faction/rival/ally and yet we get the likes of Reigns pinning Rollins clean...and for what? Face v Face with 0 pay off? Come on now.

this has HHHs smark wanabe, wrasslin fingers all over it. It's like mid to late 90s Nitro where every big match was given away with no build and no pay off.

I can not believe that Vince can go from booking Raw and SD like he did 15 years ago to this.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I dont think hes got much to do with smackdown from what Ive heard.

Reactions: ellthom

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think hes got much to do with smackdown from what Ive heard.
Probably why its even worse than RAW, which in itself is just plain bad. nO build up to matches, no build up to feuds, no stand out moments, no cliffhangers...like if Vince is involved, how can he go so far from the plan in the late 90s and early 00s?

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
Probably why its even worse than RAW, which in itself is just plain bad. nO build up to matches, no build up to feuds, no stand out moments, no cliffhangers...like if Vince is involved, how can he go so far from the plan in the late 90s and early 00s?
I dont know much about what goes on but I read road dogg books for smackdown.

hes likely gone so far from the plan because he doesnt know where they are going, when he had WCW there, he knew what to compete with and outdo, once they were gone, the possibilities were endless and therefore theres no direction, just a mess. When your the top of tree where are you going next?

I always say in life, never reach the top, you should always have something to chase otherwise whats left?

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Apparently Road Dogg has most control over Smackdown, he recently stated that Vince hardly checks up on Smackdown but he does have more input on Raw.

·
Registered
12,206 Posts
Because I can't believe this shite...sorry for the language but seriously, wth? They have put on PPV worthy matches on a weekly basis for months now. Rollins v Reigns hsould not happen in a throwaway ep of RAW and no, just because the PPV is next week does not mean anything. Heck we've seen all the top stars in action against each other ALL THE DAMN TIME!

Why should I care about Rollins, Joe, Reigns etc in the same ring next week when I've seen them against each other week in and week out?

this is not how Vince used to book RAW. Yes every now and then there might be a "big" match but that would end in a dq or a run in from another faction/rival/ally and yet we get the likes of Reigns pinning Rollins clean...and for what? Face v Face with 0 pay off? Come on now.

this has HHHs smark wanabe, wrasslin fingers all over it. It's like mid to late 90s Nitro where every big match was given away with no build and no pay off.

I can not believe that Vince can go from booking Raw and SD like he did 15 years ago to this.
Vince has been booking raw like this for 20 years. Didn't Shawn pin Cena clean on raw a decade ago. Reigns is the only one getting clean wins, he has pinned Balor, Rollins and Wyatt clean last 3 weeks and for sure will pin Joe clean when Joe is done with Lesnar. That would mean he has clean wins over everyone in that fatal 5 way which shows they are all below him and only Lesnar stands in his way.

Whenever there is a multi man match be it chamber, mitb etc WWE always book the various competitors against each other in the weeks leading into the ppv on free tv, it's not a recent thing.

Strange you would blame HHH when nxt is booked nothing like this. Does nxt throw out big matches on the weekly shows...no, it's nearly all squash matches with the odd big match. I think Balor and Nakamura was the last major match on NXT tv and they built that up for about a month.

·
TEAM KICK!
9,429 Posts
I do question what they're doing sometimes when it comes to the match ups. I get that MITB matches always end up with this sort of booking in that it'll be tag and singles match central between whoever's involved in the match, but to have Owens v Nak on an episode of SD, especially after Nak pinned Owens twice before that anyway, it's a very strange one. Same thing happened on RAW in the build to the 5 way, Rollins and Wyatt fought 1 v 1 in a match that wasn't particularly good, and now they seem to be feuding. Side effect of the brand split, but it's quite frustrating and definitely takes away the big match feeling sometimes. Reigns and Styles never went 1 v 1 on TV during their feud to give just one example, made people anticipate their matches a hell of a lot more

That said, i don't think all of it is Vince's doing, especially on SD.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Two things are happening here.

One, contrary to whatever pundits here believe, numbers matter and McMahon is the business of sustaining them, primarily with the new contract with USA up in a couple of years (2019 iirc.) They are hemorrhaging viewers at an unprecented rate in comparison to other shows on air, and they know it. Tossing out "blockbuster" and "Wrestlemsnia worthy" :cole matches is an attempted hook (because they are all out of creative ideas/writing) which is why Seth vs Roman wss advertised for a week beforehand. It's why they gave away AJ vs Orton on SD in a 10+ minute back-n-forth. WCW did the same in their heyday, only it actually worked -- momentarily -- for them but, much like it backfired on WCW in the long run (and the case can be made, already is on WWE) it'll backfire here.

Blowing your load and sticking your biggest names against each other on free television for retweets and hash tags won't pay off in the end. Fans become densitized and with many of these random matches having little to no story or stakes, it's hard to invest. It doesn't help that none of these guys are on the level of a Sting, DDP, Goldberg, Hogan, Scott Hall, Nash, Flair, Savage, Vicious, ect as it pertains to being over with the audience. In order for fans to care about "star" studded, free blockbusters, the men have to be considered stars by the masses in the first place.

Secondly, they're appealing to the audience thst is left. They know the ones tuning in religiously amidst the ratings freefalling are the type of guys who prioritise 15 minute matches that feature chain wrestling and technical grappling. A significant portion simply wants a "great match" and are, at their core, impartial to the drama and window dressing that must precede it in order for everyone else to stick around and feel any stakes.

- It's easier to simply throw Nakamura and KO out there for ten minutes on a whim just because they're both in the MITB match, than it is to come up with something truly compelling to result in the duo clashing.

- It's easier to make AJ vs Orton a #1 contenders match on SD as opposed to planting the seeds out of the ring for a clash at Summerslam and slowly build to it.

- It was easier to pad 3 hours for over a month with a Cesaro/Sheamus best of 7 than to fill those 20 minutes with meaningful stories that focused on character development.

Throw two guys that are favored workers out there and just let 'em fight. A good chunk of the middle aged males watching today will love it and WWE itself gets to pad out the run time with filer that's ultimately meaningless the second they go to commercial and the match ends. Though, if I had to choose between a pointless "WRESTLEMANIA WORTHY!" :cole match on RAW and a pointless 20 minute, opening promo where four people say a lot only to say absolutely nothing, I'd likely choose the match, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts