Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a report on UFC. one of the questions is UFC ethical. i know what it means but does anyone have any advice on what to say exactly. thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
well first off if you're writing the report you will have to pick your stance (whether you think its ethical (right or wrong bascially) or not) then write from there.

If you think its ethical for example mention how the sport is regulated by commissions like boxing and it is a sport like any other in that it is built purely on competition rather than beating the hell out of someone. Mention how when any fighter is not defending himself and such, the referee intervenes.

Also it's good to mention the opposite side, why you think people would think it's unethical and rebutt off that. good luck

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
You can argue either side of it tbh. What are your opinions of MMA?

PS - To look like you're knowledgable about the subject make sure you know the difference between MMA (the sport) and the UFC (a company that showcases MMA).

PPS - What subject is this for? because you can go into many different facets and pick out things to support either side of the argument. Off the top of my head for why it isn't - fighters cutting large amounts of weight before weight ins thus they aren't really fighting at the weight specified, it is a violent sport that showcases potential values that against societies norms etc. On the pro side - its a legit sport, regulated by commissions, referees usually air on the side of caution and stop fights early to save unnecessary damage being taken etc.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
As someone who has and does train in MMA;

I think most people worry that what you see in an MMA fight is what you would see on a street corner, two guys fighting because they want to hurt someone. These people have most likely not seen UFC, and just think it's two guys with barely any rules in a cage scrapping.

This can't be further from the truth, it is structured with rules from top to toe of the card, i'm still baffled by the 12-6 elbow rule, but if it makes it safer then fine. There are no small joint holds to ensure the joints attacked are strong enough to not make the event some snuff horror film. There are a lot of precautions.

Both fighters immediately stop when the bell sounds. It's not like they're in a blood rage wildly lashing out at each other in an animalistic ceremony. It is two consummate professionals who are composed and focused comparing martial art forms. They are completely in control of their actions.

I believe it is a beautiful sport. It takes years of training to build up the strength to routinely shoot and guard, you have to keep constant conditioning not to gas out in a single round. These men are athletes.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As someone who has and does train in MMA;

I think most people worry that what you see in an MMA fight is what you would see on a street corner, two guys fighting because they want to hurt someone. These people have most likely not seen UFC, and just think it's two guys with barely any rules in a cage scrapping.

This can't be further from the truth, it is structured with rules from top to toe of the card, i'm still baffled by the 12-6 elbow rule, but if it makes it safer then fine. There are no small joint holds to ensure the joints attacked are strong enough to not make the event some snuff horror film. There are a lot of precautions.

Both fighters immediately stop when the bell sounds. It's not like they're in a blood rage wildly lashing out at each other in an animalistic ceremony. It is two consummate professionals who are composed and focused comparing martial art forms. They are completely in control of their actions.

I believe it is a beautiful sport. It takes years of training to build up the strength to routinely shoot and guard, you have to keep constant conditioning not to gas out in a single round. These men are athletes.

i agree 100% i used some points. what sort of technology is used in ufc?

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
In terms of equipment, training etc or in terms of replays and stuff like that?

According to a new rule passed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission Wednesday, referees in Nevada now have the opportunity to get a second look at a fight's end to determine its legality.

The final wording as passed: "A referee at the conclusion of a contest or exhibition stopped immediately due to an injury to an unarmed combatant pursuant to NAC 467.718 and after making a decision, may view a replay if available in order to determine whether the injury in question was caused a legal blow or a foul."

The rule addresses several controversial stoppages in recent history where a fighter lost a contest because the referee couldn't see an injury that forced a bout's stoppage.

A referee may now use instant replay to determine whether the action that caused the injury was legal or a foul and make a decision on the fight's result. Only a referee can decide whether to order a replay.
from an article awhile back. Thats really the only technology used to aid in judging or refereeing.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I would say it is. No difference between it and say boxing that never gets a bad rap for its content/violence

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I would say it is. No difference between it and say boxing that never gets a bad rap for its content/violence
Only because MMA has taken over from it. Boxing always got a bad rap in my youth due to widely reported injuries and deaths. Safety has increased since then and it's not shown as much on free tv over here so it's not in the spotlight as much as it used to be.

Going back to the OP, as others have said, you need to pick a stance from the start and then back up your position. Factors you want to consider would include:

Rules governing the actual fights.
The fact that referees will stop fights in the case of a mis-match to prevent injury.
Weight limits to limit such mis-matches.
The discipline gained through the training.

Social factors that might force someone into a violent sport due to lack of opportunities elsewhere.
The fact that injuries, while limited by regulation, are nontheless inevitable in a few cases.

I hope you find some of this helpful.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,968 Posts
Its very, very sanitised and safe now. Despite the way they try to present it. Even one drop of blood or four clean punches can stop a fight.

The guys go through the best possible medical check-ups, before and after fighting, as well.

·
Minority share owner of the Green Bay Packers
4,241 Posts
It depends on what or who is in question IMO.

Is the concept of 2 guys beating the living hell out of each other for money ethical? For me, yeah, I guess so. They can pick what they want to do for a living.

Is the concept that people (ie Dana White etc) make money off of 2 guys fighting? I don't know TBH.

Is it ok to watch those guys beat each other? If watching for the sport and competition of the fight, then sure. If watching hoping to see blood, gore, broken bones and hoping someone gets hurt for your entertainment, then no. That doesn't mean you don't want to see a knockout or clear cut winner. Just not ok to go into it with attitude of I hope "so and so" gets hurt or hope someone beat hurt.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
If I were you kid I'd take the stance that it isn't ethical, cos I'm sure whoever is grading you will be expecting you to be writing it as a fan saying "UFC is ethical because blah blah blah" but if you take the other route, you have their respect because you're not writing something as a fan, you're writing it as an independent looking in.

·
Super Moderator
19,308 Posts
I don't see anything unethical about the sport.

I think the only way it could become unethical is to have matches set up or, "faked". Boxing has been accused of this several times.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all your help guys! the class enjoyed debating about it with me after and i should get a good mark.

·
Premium Member
18,721 Posts
I beleive it's ethical, or at least as ethical as it could be.fights are stopped a lot when it appears that a fighter is unable to defend himself properly. cuts are tended to, and after the fight each fighter goes to the hospital and is checked out. also a fight is imeadiatly stopped once the ref calls for it, now you have rare cases like when Sobral choked out Heath well after the ref called the match, but he was fired soon after.

If this was 15 years ago, or when ufc started then you would have more of a case against it being ethical, but now there's nothing except for " I don't like people getting beat up"

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Despite their blood and guts type marketing the UFC has good safety practices and generally good stoppages. I can only think of one major fight this year that looked as if it was stopped significantly too late (Mir vs Carwin). I would argue football is more violent and dangerous but because it's not "fighting" and is the number one sport in American culture people can overlook its violence/danger and somehow look at UFC/MMA as barbaric.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts