Wrestling Forum banner

Is Tony Khan The Worst Mainstream Promoter Ever?

441 - 460 of 473 Posts

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Hello friends

I just listened to the Jim Cornette review of Full Gear. During the Hardy Vs Guevara review they read an email from a fan who knew someone who helped produce the "match"

The person reported that the "match" had a crew of 300 people who all were paid obviously and had all been provided hotel rooms despite many living locally. The crew member reported that it took all night to shoot, was one of the most expensive shoots she's been involved in, that everyone commented on how astronomically expensive it was and remarked that there was a giddy man wearing a hoodie marking out for everything. The crew member commented that it was the stupidest thing she'd ever seen and that Sammy Guevara looked 16 (Although allegedly was very nice)

Perhaps naively I've always given Tony the benefit of the doubt. No, he isn't a wrestling guy and doesn't know what he's doing there but I've always assumed that he's a half decent business man. I no longer give him that benefit of the doubt.

With his awful business decisions, the bad eye for talent, the ridiculous booking, the overspending, the fact he's easily influenced etc etc etc can we rightfully say that Tony Khan is the worst mainstream promoter ever?

If not who is? Because I can't think of one.

Note: Mainstream in this circumstance means major promotion with week to week television
yes

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
12,018 Posts
33.3% say yes, I'll take that.
Yep, sometimes you need to lower your own standards whenever the majority of folks (especially from the vote poll) have already proven you wrong with your question here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
first, don't start a thread like this by saying "I just listened to the Jim Cornette"
Jim Cornette has some valid points but he is biased because Tony didn't make him the booker, this is just a simple fact

to answer your question
NO
this honor goes to vince mcmahon and his plantation i mean company

i disagree with a lot of what AEW is doing
mainly the wannabe PRO wrestlers i've listed before
and their politically correct and SJW direction
also their snowflake PC/SJW Fanboys

that being said, Tony Khan is the best currently
based on the simple fact that he listens to the fans and doesn't treat them like retards
also it doesn't hurt that he treats the talent with respect and not like slaves
my only wish is that the EVPs doesn't take advantage of him too much

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
first, don't start a thread like this by saying "I just listened to the Jim Cornette"
Jim Cornette has some valid points but he is biased because Tony didn't make him the booker, this is just a simple fact

to answer your question
NO

based on the simple fact that he listens to the fans and doesn't treat them like retards
Stopped reading as soon as you said Vince McMahon is the worst promoter of all time. That's the worst opinion on the topic possible.

·
Registered
Capitalist Pokemon
303 Posts
Stopped reading as soon as you said Vince McMahon is the worst promoter of all time. That's the worst opinion on the topic possible.
"I don't like current WWE product, hence Vince is the worst promoter of all time"

Smh, they need to lookup and search a definition for the word of "Promoter" before stating that opinion honestly.

Being a great promoter doesn't mean the product they bring is great. Vince is the greatest promoter of all time while simultaneusly the product he bring is bad is not me is giving Vince a compliment its just a fact.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i don't measure the success of a promoter by just the amount of money he made
for me it's a total package
morals and respect are more important than the physical success
slave traders and drug cartels made more money than vince, does this make them successful?
plus vince mcmahon is the reason why pro wrestling now suck donkey balls

·
Registered
Capitalist Pokemon
303 Posts
i don't measure the success of a promoter by just the amount of money he made
for me it's a total package
morals and respect are more important than the physical success
slave traders and drug cartels made more money than vince, does this make them successful?
plus vince mcmahon is the reason why pro wrestling now suck donkey balls
Did the very thought to give Vince a "positive" light makes you ill and sick to you stomach, eventhough the statement of Vince being a great promoter is just a fact and not wrong.

It's your opinion man, but don't try to distort the word "promoter" to suit your naratives.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

to answer your question
NO

1. Cornette didn't want a job. That's why he told Tony outright what he thought of Tony's vision.

2. Vince McMahon is not a bad promoter. His product sucks balls, and has done for many, many years, but that's besides the point.

3. Lol at you thinking Tony doesn't treat the fans like idiots. This is the guy who pushes a guy who wrestles with hands in his pockets, has people feuding over video game consoles and their mums car, has the main heel faction break out into musicals. Nevermind Matt Hardy's shit and that American hanegg stadium match. He has a low opinion of his audience if he thinks he can put this shit on tv. Then you have the amateurish, inconsistent writing that they put no effort into because Tony thinks his fans are dumb enough to like anything regardless of if it makes sense, and, unfortunately, he's right.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Vince may be the most successful, but he is not the best IMO. He was lucky (courageous but lucky). Gagne could be the billionaire now if he put (left) the belt on Hogan. He was lucky again that Montreal inadvertently created the attitude era.

·
Registered
151 Posts
at the end of the day this is my opinion and i will not change it
but no body is obliged to agree with me (people can have defrent opinions)
althugh it's interesting how people defend vince mcmahon like he is the god of wrestling
in my eyes vince mcmahon is the promoter who killed PRO wrestling the last 30 years

as for Jim Cornette, i don't hate him at all and i listen to all his podcasts
but this doesn't change the fact that he probably felt offended when Tony khan told him indirectly that he will not be the booker
plus his past experiences working with the young bucks and Kenny Omega further the feeling of him being biased a lot of times
ps: personally i would have preferred Jim Cornette to be the booker anyway

finally, Tony doesn't treat the fans like idiots (like vince mcmahon did all his life)
but he has a big flaw that i can't deny and i don't like
he likes to pander to the PC/SJW fanboys a little too much
plus he made a mistake when he appointed active wrestlers as EVPs

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Vince may be the most successful, but he is not the best IMO. He was lucky (courageous but lucky). Gagne could be the billionaire now if he put (left) the belt on Hogan. He was lucky again that Montreal inadvertently created the attitude era.
Gagne would never in a million years have been able to promote Hogan as well as Vince. Gagne would never have completely built company around Hogan like Vince did or use such an agressive national strategy and then international. Anyway it was Austin not Hogan that made Vince a billionaire.

Attitude era was happening without Montreal. Tyson played much bigger role kickstarting it than Montreal. Austin had already stunned Vince before Montreal too on a huge raw in MSG.
And why does financial success automatically make him the best promoter?

his unethical treatment of his talent to me automatically makes him one of the worst people in the history of wrestling
Because success in this business is based on money drawn, it's why Hogan, Austin, Rock are put on such a high pedestal.

Vince is greatest promoter ever because he has generated most money as well as producing Wrestlemania, Rumble, Summerslam, Raw, Smackdown, Network and seen Hogan, Warrior, Undertaker, Austin, Bret, Shawn, HHH, Rock, Cena, Batista, Orton, Reigns become synonymous with WWE and Vince as a promoter. Even when Lesnar was drawing a million+ ppv buys a show and UFC HW champion most were referring to him as a "WWE guy"

Explain unethical treatment and why it's worse than dozens of promoters down the decades. Explain why Vince is worse than Dixie Carter e.g that let Jeff Hardy wrestle drunk or putting Daffney in clear physical danger when already informed of the issue. What about those promoters that let Scott Hall and Jake Roberts go out drunk in front of live fans?

Is Hogan the worst wrestler ever in your opinion because of his backstage politics?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Gagne would never in a million years have been able to promote Hogan as well as Vince. Gagne would never have completely built company around Hogan like Vince did or use such an agressive national strategy and then international. Anyway it was Austin not Hogan that made Vince a billionaire.

Attitude era was happening without Montreal. Tyson played much bigger role kickstarting it than Montreal. Austin had already stunned Vince before Montreal too on a huge raw in MSG.

Because success in this business is based on money drawn, it's why Hogan, Austin, Rock are put on such a high pedestal.

Vince is greatest promoter ever because he has generated most money as well as producing Wrestlemania, Rumble, Summerslam, Raw, Smackdown, Network and seen Hogan, Warrior, Undertaker, Austin, Bret, Shawn, HHH, Rock, Cena, Batista, Orton, Reigns become synonymous with WWE and Vince as a promoter. Even when Lesnar was drawing a million+ ppv buys a show and UFC HW champion most were referring to him as a "WWE guy"

Explain unethical treatment and why it's worse than dozens of promoters down the decades. Explain why Vince is worse than Dixie Carter e.g that let Jeff Hardy wrestle drunk or putting Daffney in clear physical danger when already informed of the issue. What about those promoters that let Scott Hall and Jake Roberts go out drunk in front of live fans?

Is Hogan the worst wrestler ever in your opinion because of his backstage politics?
most experts ... and I claim not to be one ... including the fan favourite cornette ... agree Vince completely stumbled into the attitude era as a fall out from montreal. Vince actually tried to be a Face afterwards, until public opinion was heard. Vince is lucky

441 - 460 of 473 Posts