Wrestling Forum banner

Is Tony Khan The Worst Mainstream Promoter Ever?

1 - 20 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends

I just listened to the Jim Cornette review of Full Gear. During the Hardy Vs Guevara review they read an email from a fan who knew someone who helped produce the "match"

The person reported that the "match" had a crew of 300 people who all were paid obviously and had all been provided hotel rooms despite many living locally. The crew member reported that it took all night to shoot, was one of the most expensive shoots she's been involved in, that everyone commented on how astronomically expensive it was and remarked that there was a giddy man wearing a hoodie marking out for everything. The crew member commented that it was the stupidest thing she'd ever seen and that Sammy Guevara looked 16 (Although allegedly was very nice)

Perhaps naively I've always given Tony the benefit of the doubt. No, he isn't a wrestling guy and doesn't know what he's doing there but I've always assumed that he's a half decent business man. I no longer give him that benefit of the doubt.

With his awful business decisions, the bad eye for talent, the ridiculous booking, the overspending, the fact he's easily influenced etc etc etc can we rightfully say that Tony Khan is the worst mainstream promoter ever?

If not who is? Because I can't think of one.

Note: Mainstream in this circumstance means major promotion with week to week television

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
12,037 Posts
Jesus Christ my guy you’re really dedicated to painting Tony and AEW in the worse possible light. All you do is talk shit lol. Give it a rest for 2 seconds. You come off as extremely jealous of the guy.

No he’s not the worst. If we’re talking last 10-15 years then I would say Vince is FAR worse. All time I would say Russo.

I don’t understand how you can look at this guy who has given us free wrestling entertainment and some of the best content I’ve seen in a long time and hate him so passionately. The guy is not Satan. He’s a fan who wants to provide for other fans.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jesus Christ my guy you’re really dedicated to painting Tony and AEW in the worse possible light. All you do is talk shit lol. Give it a rest for 2 seconds. You come off as extremely jealous of the guy.

No he’s not the worst. If we’re talking last 10-15 years then I would say Vince is FAR worse. All time I would say Russo.

I don’t understand how you can look at this guy who has given us free wrestling entertainment and some of the best content I’ve seen in a long time and hate him so passionately. The guy is not Satan. He’s a fan who wants to provide for other fans.
Vince Russo isn't a promoter. Vince McMahon is the most successful promoter of all time.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
12,037 Posts
Vince Russo isn't a promoter. Vince McMahon is the most successful promoter of all time.
You know what it took for him to get to being the most successful? You think it happened in a year under a wrestling scene that is no longer popular? As of the last 10-15 years, Vince has been ten times worse. Some would even argue Dixie Carter from what I see but I didn’t watch too much TNA so I won’t comment on that comparison.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know what it took for him to get to being the most successful? You think it happened in a year under a wrestling scene that is no longer popular? As of the last 10-15 years, Vince has been ten times worse. Some would even argue Dixie Carter from what I see but I didn’t watch too much TNA so I won’t comment on that comparison.
I watched a lot of TNA. Dixie is better than Khan

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Not sure this thread should even exist, but no, Tony is not the worst promoter of all times.
Eric Bischoff managed to kill the only real competition WWF ever had, and then began working for said competition.. (and don´t give me any semantics about how he was not a promoter because he didn´t own the company)

·
Registered
774 Posts
You know your gonna get shit for this Chip mate ;)

He is actually the worst promoter and Booker ever not just Mainstream

Ive lived through Vince Russo, WCW at its worst, Global at its worst, XPW, Herb Abrahams UWF, IWCCW TV, GLOW, LPWA

A no talent Mark surrounding himself with Self serving marks as execs, guy said earlier talent shouldnt be execs pretty much why

To be honest it is a surprise how good this show can be at times despite this! Damn infuriating at others- Cody v Dustin to that shit awful Hardy match described above

They book for the 500k of Geeks, the other 250K are just there hoping it gets better or to understand Cornette's best jokes

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure this thread should even exist, but no, Tony is not the worst promoter of all times.
Eric Bischoff managed to kill the only real competition WWF ever had, and then began working for said competition.. (and don´t give me any semantics about how he was not a promoter because he didn´t own the company)
Eric had major success that he had to earn though

1 - 20 of 523 Posts