Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering- I saw that the WWE's current overseas tour is drawing moderate numbers- like 10,000 on the high end. which is not terrible, and I don't know the size of the arenas, but I remember the overseas impact from a couple months ago looked like it drew a lot of people too, it had to be close to 10K.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In my opinion, TNA is more popular in the UK. Probably because it gets more exposure.
Kind of a vague point here, but maybe a valid one - i see more people wearing TNA tops than WWE ones. Whether other people in the UK have the same experience I haven't a clue.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I'd say in terms of eyeballs that watch the show, yes TNA is more popular.

Then again TNA is available are free TV while WWE is on a subscription channel.

It would be like if TNA were on ESPN but WWE were on Showtime.

I'm not from the UK, so one of the fine UK posters can tell me if that analogy is right or wrong.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
above is spot on.

TNA is on Challenge TV with is a freeview channel so about 95% of houses in the country can watch it (the freeview signal is still being worked on so some houses/tv's dont get all the channels. Like in my house the TV in my bedroom doesn't pick up challenge TV on the freeview because my TV is shit so i have to watch it through my sky subscribtion anyway.)

To watch WWE live you need a sky package that includes Sky sports back in the late 90's WWE was more popular over here because it's shows were shown on Sky One which is a basic package sky channel so it was more accessible to everyone. In terms of the shows WWE shows in U.K will usually fill the arena both WWE and TNA use the Manchester Evening News Arena when TNA comes in January it will get about 8000 fans and close off the upper tier. When WWE comes it will get 17,000 and will be close to selling out.

So while TNA gets more viewers than the WWE it's still not coming across in people paying to see the product when it's here.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
^That seems to be the case.

^^Yes, TNA is on freeview while WWE is on an expensive subscription service, at least £500/$800 per year, adding HD/PPV prices that's over £600/$960.

Also TNA airs at better times, although on delay of a few days, at around 9-10pm start, whereas WWE comes live but at a stupid time 1-2am starts. WWE also has SD which doesn't outdraw TNA and often doesn't make the Top10 most watched shows on it's channel so we don't get data, i think it's usually approx under 100k is the cut-off point.

WWE has other shows we watch like NXT/Superstars as well so it's generally more to keep up with. As well Sky has a viewership of 40% of households, a smaller number with the SkySports package, hard to find exact numbers but PL football still only draws a couple of million vierwers, yet is easily the highest draw on of all Sky.

Taking just Impact vs Raw, here are some recent numbers that show TNA has been overtaking Raw lately, and breaking it's own records on Challenge TV, a station that basically plays old gameshows, this is the only real draw they have and they advertise the show on their own channel pretty well.

Having this on free TV got me back into watching wrestling again and i watch every week yet can't afford SkySports package. Same as many other people and instead watch WWE online. I'm trying to find more figures, maybe somebody with more experience here can give some more details?

Feb 2: http://www.tnastars.com/2012/02/13/...k-impact-wrestling-shatters-its-prior-record/

Mar 26: http://www.ineedwrestling.com/2012/03/recent-wwe-tna-uk-tv-ratings.html

Apr 1: http://www.tnastars.com/2012/04/12/recent-viewership-estimates-41-for-the-u-k/

Apr 11: http://www.ineedwrestling.com/2012/04/recent-wwe-and-tna-uk-tv-ratings.html

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
sky sports has a higher viewership average.

nobody watches challenge which makes impacts figures even more astounding.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Yes.

TNA In the UK

- Free TV
- Alot of Merchindice
- Loads of DVD's

·
Registered
822 Posts
Arguement could be that 90% of skysports subscribers will watch wwe rather than TNA.

People that pay for the sky sports package have a major interest in sports / sports entertainment.

99% of the UK will never watch challenge TV (perhaps most have not even heard of it)

Challenge TV is one of the last channels on the list near the bottom (its between shopping channels and the top up channels (channels that don't work but if you call up you can unlock them)

So unless your looking for TNA you will never find it, casual views will NEVER bump into viewing TNA.

(This is something no1 has picked upon)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Among wrestling fans, WWE & TNA are neck and neck. Among ordinary everyday people, WWE has a lot more awareness than TNA.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Arguement could be that 90% of skysports subscribers will watch wwe rather than TNA.

People that pay for the sky sports package have a major interest in sports / sports entertainment.

99% of the UK will never watch challenge TV (perhaps most have not even heard of it)

Challenge TV is one of the last channels on the list near the bottom (its between shopping channels and the top up channels (channels that don't work but if you call up you can unlock them)

So unless your looking for TNA you will never find it, casual views will NEVER bump into viewing TNA.

Most sky sports subscribers have no interest in 90% of the programming on sky sports they'll buy purely for the Premier League games.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I was just wondering- I saw that the WWE's current overseas tour is drawing moderate numbers- like 10,000 on the high end. which is not terrible, and I don't know the size of the arenas, but I remember the overseas impact from a couple months ago looked like it drew a lot of people too, it had to be close to 10K.
I think their London show was around 8000 (some sites report 7000, but i seriously doubt that), Manchester was 4500+ and Notthingham around 2500. WWE has much higher numbers, even for their minor houseshows. So i wouldnt consider TNA more populair, at least not on live shows. WWE has much more history in the UK, for many decades they were the only wrestling promotion on tv, and dont forget the huge advertisement machine behind WWE. It's hard to compete with that.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I think their London show was around 8000 (some sites report 7000, but i seriously doubt that), Manchester was 4500+ and Notthingham around 2500. WWE has much higher numbers, even for their minor houseshows. So i wouldnt consider TNA more populair, at least not on live shows. WWE has much more history in the UK, for many decades they were the only wrestling promotion on tv, and dont forget the huge advertisement machine behind WWE. It's hard to compete with that.
Having been at the manchester show i can confirm there was more than 7000 at the M.E.N to watch Hulk Hogan. on the lower tier with 1/6th of the arena blocked off for the entrance and about 200 empty seats dotted around and two empty blocks of seats at the top of the lower tier with sheets covering them. The lower tier of the M.E.N hold 10,000 seats. the upper tier holds an additional 11,000

The floor seating was full and TNA sells 500 floor seat tickets.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

This is a good point, it took me a while to realize TNA even existed and was free on UK TV.

Among wrestling fans, WWE & TNA are neck and neck. Among ordinary everyday people, WWE has a lot more awareness than TNA.
Absolutely. WWE has a lot of history and TNA is still relatively unknown here among casuals.

Most sky sports subscribers have no interest in 90% of the programming on sky sports they'll buy purely for the Premier League games.
Yep, football is easily the highest rating thing on all of Sky and always has been, and they still only rate around 1-2 million, 2.5 high. 10 times the number of WWE viewers, although very many people watch football in pubs so it's hard to gage. Their all-time record is around 4m.

http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weekly-top-programmes-overview?

WWE has much more history in the UK, for many decades they were the only wrestling promotion on tv, and dont forget the huge advertisement machine behind WWE. It's hard to compete with that.
This is true, although even WWE isn't advertised that much outside of Sky, WM had a half-page ad in The Sun but they are owned by News Corp, same guys behind Sky. TNA is still way behind, i can't remember hearing about them here bar when Hulk went on a publicity drive recently when they were in the UK and he turned up on Loose Women, that was fun. They need more of that but it's hard when the product is on the other side of the atlantic and they don't have the reach, name recognition or history of WWE.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would say it probably is, as has been said it is available to watch for free.

But it is Challenge's highest rated program since Challenge only plays reruns of old gameshows most of the day, so it is a bit of an achievement.

I would say they are pretty even, which isn't bad at all.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
No, it might get better ratings on a freeview station than WWE does on a subscription station but that's insignificant since Vince makes so much through merchandise. You see their products advertised and sold everywhere, TNA don't get anything like that exposure.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I live in North London, and simply put. No

Despite the fact TNA is readily available on Challenge and their big UK tour in January. None of my friends have heard of TNA or its homegrown wrestlers. Wrestling is always referred to as 'WWE' not Pro Wrestling. When I go to the Wrestling section in a DVD shop like HMV, I see WWE ppvs DVDs and maybe a few TNA dvds. Mind you, I've never seen anyone wear a Wrestling t-shirt where I live. Ever. Maybe thats just where I live but WWE has always been the top dog

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.