Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think they figure they can have the MITB holder lose over and over because he'll eventually cash in and get all his momentum back, meanwhile all the wrestlers that beat him before the cash in get momentum of their own - before the cash-in they'll be the guys that beat the MITB winner, and after the cash-in it's even better because they'd beaten the current champion when he had the MITB so the odds are they'll beat him again, Oh My!

of course it's stupid as fuck but I think that's the theory

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
tbf most cash ins are done in a way that makes the guy cashing in look weak, eg cashing in after a match, theres nothing noble in beating a guy whos just wrestled a match.

its quite rare that cash in will be announced for a date ahead, its usually a cheap win, winning the MITB is essentially like getting a cheat code in a video game, they can just get the championship at the easiest time, theyve just got to pick it right, why wrestle a whole match when you can just jump the winner when they are knackered?

they dont need to look strong to win off MITB, more than likely there is no theory, wwe just dont plan anything correctly.

Reactions: DarkLady

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
You are pretty much right, OP. The WWE think they elevate all the performers by having mid-card guys beat the MitB holder, then the MitB holder goes on to win the title. Then they do rematches, the new champion picks up his lost wins and the other guy is seen as having a close match with the champion, elevating them.

However, this is the WWE. The results of what they attempted to do are not resonated in any meaningful, impactful way that at all elevates anyone. The champion is made to look poorly in the run to his time with the belt, the challengers are made to look poor that they could not accomplish a feat that some could argue that they got out of luck. And all momentum is subsequently dropped because WWE do not know the words "long-term".

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
Well it's pretty much all you can do with somebody holding the gimmick. It would look stupid as fuck if the MitB holder was whooping ass consistently yet sitting on his contract

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
The Irish Rapist
3,392 Posts
I think everyone knows that... How old are you op? Did you know that the sky is blue?

And it's not stupid, it's basic storytelling: heels cheat to win.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Sort of. Rollins had the privilege of looking weak for pretty much his entire WWE Championship run, though obviously the story of his reign was that he was becoming more independent and confident in his own abilities towards the latter end of 2015 - if he hadn't been injured then, his face turn would have been so much better.

It just depends on who wins it, really. I don't think Sheamus was jobbing out a lot before or after he won his most recent MiTB (but his actual world title reign was the opposite) and Ambrose looked strong going into and out of Money in the Bank.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
tbf most cash ins are done in a way that makes the guy cashing in look weak, eg cashing in after a match, theres nothing noble in beating a guy whos just wrestled a match.

its quite rare that cash in will be announced for a date ahead, its usually a cheap win, winning the MITB is essentially like getting a cheat code in a video game, they can just get the championship at the easiest time, theyve just got to pick it right, why wrestle a whole match when you can just jump the winner when they are knackered?

they dont need to look strong to win off MITB, more than likely there is no theory, wwe just dont plan anything correctly.
And thats the reason 90% of the mitb winners are heels. Even when babyfaces win they say the date before hand like Cena and Bryan did or they turn heel like Bryan also did. The only babyface I can think of that did the usual cashin was Ambrose last year

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
Well it's pretty much all you can do with somebody holding the gimmick. It would look stupid as fuck if the MitB holder was whooping ass consistently yet sitting on his contract

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
You know what else looks stupid as fuck? Having a guy that gets his ass handed to him on a constant basis beat your world champion, making both guys look weak as fuck.

God forbid WWE build up a challenger that poses a real threat.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,139 Posts
All the MITB winners just look like jokes and can't be taken seriously as Champions.

WWE logic for you.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
You'd think this is done to create future challengers but I guess not :lol

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
You know what else looks stupid as fuck? Having a guy that gets his ass handed to him on a constant basis beat your world champion, making both guys look weak as fuck.

God forbid WWE build up a challenger that poses a real threat.
They do build up challengers as legit what are you talking about lol. But the MitB winner doesn't need to necessarily have a streak of winning momentum because him choosing when and where is the ultimate momentum. If you're just going to be booked to win and mostly dominate anyway, it makes very little sense for you to need the briefcase. But if you're not necessarily wiping the floor with the competition yet holding that briefcase gives you a very great chance of winning the title, that sells it as important. That makes it a believable worthwhile thing to chase ever year, because whether you're knocking it out the park or not, if you get the case you can realistically win the title

·
Registered
11,139 Posts

RVD announced his ahead of time, correct?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
It's WWE's shitty unwritten policy of "OMG they'll never see it coming if we book them to lose!!!"

Yeah, maybe for 2-year-olds.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
They initially did it to make the guy look weak so fans wouldn't expect him to cash in and win. It lost its luster after doing the same fucking formula year after year!

- Vic

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think they figure they can have the MITB holder lose over and over because he'll eventually cash in and get all his momentum back, meanwhile all the wrestlers that beat him before the cash in get momentum of their own - before the cash-in they'll be the guys that beat the MITB winner, and after the cash-in it's even better because they'd beaten the current champion when he had the MITB so the odds are they'll beat him again, Oh My!

of course it's stupid as fuck but I think that's the theory
That is why. They get their heat back, BROTHER!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts