Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, can i say that i apoligise in advance if this thread has been made!

With the return of The Rock, Cena isn't the only one who is carrying the commpany in a way, and unlike before, if the whole 'turn cena heel' thing didn't work, it would be a bigger mistake than say if it was to turn Orton. But as Rock, possibly a bigger fan favourite than cena was to enter a feud with cena, would it be a good decision to turn him heel to generate more hype for it, or would two massive favourites having a rivalry be slightly different and a relief in a way. And now as the return of Taker, Bourne, HHH, Christian, Jericho, Lesnar(I've read somewhere it's possible) Would it be a lot less of a risk?

Also, is the rock only concentrating on 'Hosting' Wrestlemania, or is he fighting in it, Because i'm sure he stated a while ago that he would never return to the ring, but in his comeback speech he said he would never leave, so he must be returning to wrestling. Also he said that along with cena he would also see the miz at Wrestlemania, so is he not on about wrestling them?

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
We'll need to see more before making any suggestions, there are currently too many heels so Cena would be an incredibly crazy choice

·
Dragon Slayer
6,629 Posts
And now as the return of Taker, Bourne, HHH, Christian, Jericho, Lesnar(I've read somewhere it's possible) Would it be a lot less of a risk?

Lesner isn't returning. Taker, Triple H, and Jericho are essentially retired, or will be within the year, Christian is a mid carder, and Evan Bourne is a small bodied, career jobber. None of them have anything to do with Cena. Turning Cena heel means WWE loses their poster boy, their #1 merchandise salesman, and the man who drives ticket sales.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
this is the IWC's wet dream, but realistically, it won't happen anytime soon. Cena is bringing in the big bucks for the company with all the merchandise. It'll only happen when they can find someone who can meet up to Cena's level.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
And now as the return of Taker, Bourne, HHH, Christian, Jericho, Lesnar(I've read somewhere it's possible) Would it be a lot less of a risk?

Triple H, Taker and Jericho are nearing the end of their careers. And Lesnar isn't coming back, it was Vince's initial plan, but Dana White shot down any chances of him coming back by basically forbidding him, because he's still under contract with UFC. Dana doesn't want to incorporate Sports entertainment with MMA, he thinks people will get the wrong idea when it comes to the UFC

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Lesner isn't returning. Taker, Triple H, and Jericho are essentially retired, or will be within the year, Christian is a mid carder, and Evan Bourne is a small bodied, career jobber. None of them have anything to do with Cena. Turning Cena heel means WWE loses their poster boy, their #1 merchandise salesman, and the man who drives ticket sales.
This.

Aslong as Cena is top guy he will never be heel. Orton or anyone else simply cannot take his place as top face, Cena is really the only major star who is carrying the company today.

Maybe when WWE finds their next 'guy' they'll make the dive, just don't get your hopes up. But I feel your pain - A heel Cena would be brilliant to watch.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The only way I see that happening is by creative having no foresight. By this I mean that they book a Rock v Cena feud with Cena set as the face. At least that way they would not have purposefully killed their golden goose but sure as shit the universe will support Rock

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No, first of all WWE might risk losing alot of money by merch and stuff, and for what? Cena as Heel, i am sure that would be great but he isn't a natural Heel, he would get outplayed by the likes of Punk. If TNA would be to step up and WWE was forced to do something, to bring the Ratings up, they might do it, it's a risky thing but sometimes you gotta risk to gain, but since WWE has no competition they have no reason to turn him Heel.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you take away the whole merchandise problem away, I'm still not sure.

Cena main event status is fueled by his amazing charisma and mic skills, because his only pro in-ring is his "superhuman" strength.

But his mic skills are used for getting the fans on his side, I'm not sure if he would be able to get the fans to hate him as easy as he does to love him.

·
@delecast
4,407 Posts
Even if you factored out the merchandise sales, a heel Cena would be a bad business move for the WWE. On Raw, they have spent the last two years establishing The Miz as a top heel. Turning Cena heel would quickly brush Miz under the rug, relegating him to a mid card jobber to the stars. The New Nexus? Just a side show. We would be treated to the same ol' shit with John Cena and Randy Orton exchanging BRUTAL stare downs and VICIOUS rest holds. Keep Cena face, if only to be fair to the guys that have worked their asses off to be relevant.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Yes, Artistically speaking

No from a business standpoint. Unless John Morrison and Kofi Kingston transform overnight into great promo men and develop really marketable characters.

All the other guys are natural heels -- Punk, Del Rio, Miz and Barrett. The others are talented but bland mid carders -- Ziggler, McIntyre, Swagger and DiBiase. Then are those on their last run -- HHH, Mysterio, Edge, Kane, Show and 'Taker.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
While I would like to see a Cena heel turn, it wouldn't be good for business overall. The fact of the matter is, if they make Cena heel, then he is going to be the top heel bar none. People like Punk and Miz for example will have to take a back seat to him. Merchandise sells would decreased, as just the IWC would probably be buying. While The Rock made people boo for Cena. They will go back to him, like it was nothing, once Rock leaves again. Since we aren't really talking about "Word Life" Cena, as I don't see that being a possible comeback anytime soon. A Cena heel turn would work on paper in the IWC's minds, but no where else.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
turning him heel is not the solution it his character cena was loved by the majority back in 2004 on smackdown and he was baby face

it was when they made him mr marine is where it all went down hill

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,284 Posts
This. And if they did turn Cena heel it would be for a few months just for the feud (see HBK Heel turn 06)

·
Leader of #TeamBAE
1,560 Posts
Merchandise sales are overrated, the nWo were the greatest thing that happened to wrestling, sold a shit ton of merchandise and did they cater to everybody? I also don't buy that Vince couldn't just push someone up the card to take over. Vince is the most creative guy to ever enter the professional wrestling business, if he wanted to make Cena heel he could with the snap of his fingers. People also don't take into account that if and when Cena does turn heel, he has the ability to put over new stars in his sleep nowadays because he is so big. The kiddies would tune in every week to watch someone try and beat the guy who betrayed them for so long, a young mind is fragile, but it isn't THAT fragile. While they would temporarily lose in the under then 6/7 year old demographic, they would probably gain among pre teens and young teenagers, as well as older more mature guys as well.

Turn Cena heel and put him in a feud with Kofi Kingston, John Morrison or Daniel Bryan and watch how fast all those guys become Main Eventers. To say that it's a terrible business move is completely overstating it, besides we all know after the 8-12 months it'll stop being believeable and everybody will go back to cheering him again, Vince should cash in now simply for the shock value and ability Cena has to add 2/3 credibly face guys to the Main Event. You don't think kids would want to wear JoMo's shades, talk and act like Kofi or get behind Daniel Bryan as an underdog? You're crazy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts