Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
9,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering if I would get any replies to this. Let me honest in saying this is simply me having the kids in bed on a Friday night, in between books, with nothing else to do but post about wrestling.

I understand you guys all know I grew up a Memphis mark. In the early 80's, the CWA discovered that one of their younger wrestlers, a guy named Troy Graham could immitate Dusty Rhodes.

So in an attempt to fool fans (a fairly common Memphis trick) they acted like Lawler would be facing the "American Dream" by having Graham who was also built like Rhodes come out and jive talkas the "Dream Machine". I know this is crazy but the CWA did this often. The CWA had their own versions of The Spoiler, Masked Assasins, Mr. Wrestling, and The Super Destroyer. I always hated it.

However

Troy Graham had a gift, he was actually fairly charismatic. By his third or fourth week on the show I actually started to like him, even hough I was hacked it was obviously not Dusty. So a few months into his run they turned him face and I really enjoyed that. He maybe one of the best talkers time has forgotten.

He came back as one of the Bruise Brothers and later managed the Interns, but I just wanted to see if anyone else remembered the Dream?

Not sure if I can post this link, I don't have anything to do with Mark James' site, but I will own this shirt one day...

http://society6.com/MarkJames/Memphis-Wrestler-Dream-Machine_T-shirt#11=49&4=90

Man I just realized I spelled "there" wrong in the title.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Troy had a distinctive voice and his promos were the reason he got over.He was one of Jerry Lawler's biggest rivals in the early 80's.I was quite a fan of the New York Dolls especially their outfits.Fate wasn't kind to both of them.Troy suffered a career threatening injury while McGraw died at an young age.

·
Likes wrestling....
9,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Troy had a distinctive voice and his promos were the reason he got over.He was one of Jerry Lawler's biggest rivals in the early 80's.I was quite a fan of the New York Dolls especially their outfits.Fate wasn't kind to both of them.Troy suffered a career threatening injury while McGraw died at an young age.
Amen bro, you see I knew you were worth repping. So how does a guy in New York come about having a name like JerryIdol and remembering Troy Graham?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I only know of him from old Memphis fans waxing nostalgic. I've read good things, but the one clip I saw of him was rather unimpressive. I have a feeling he'd be another one of those wrestlers I just don't "get." Didn't he take on Lawler in "The King's" return from his broken leg injury?

Now it's time for some more Memphis questions.....

GreenLawler: Do you remember (or have you ever heard of) the fake Memphis Mil Mascaras? I read about him on Scott Bowden's site a couple years ago. They dressed a local jobber up in a Mil Mascaras outfit one time :lol Bowden wasn't 100% sure he was a fake until a few years back when Lawler or Dutch or one of those guys set him straight. I think he wrestled Lawler in that 70s angle where The King had take on all the top contenders in order to get a title shot.

Who were the Memphis Bruise Brothers? I know Mid South had Porkchop Cash and Something Boyd. Then there were the Harris Brothers later on.

Weren't the Interns a team from the 60s? I remember Lawler mentioning them in his book. I guess Memphis brought the gimmick back?

·
Likes wrestling....
9,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only know of him from old Memphis fans waxing nostalgic. I've read good things, but the one clip I saw of him was rather unimpressive. I have a feeling he'd be another one of those wrestlers I just don't "get." Didn't he take on Lawler in "The King's" return from his broken leg injury?

Now it's time for some more Memphis questions.....

GreenLawler: Do you remember (or have you ever heard of) the fake Memphis Mil Mascaras? I read about him on Scott Bowden's site a couple years ago. They dressed a local jobber up in a Mil Mascaras outfit one time :lol Bowden wasn't 100% sure he was a fake until a few years back when Lawler or Dutch or one of those guys set him straight. I think he wrestled Lawler in that 70s angle where The King had take on all the top contenders in order to get a title shot.

Who were the Memphis Bruise Brothers? I know Mid South had Porkchop Cash and Something Boyd. Then there were the Harris Brothers later on.

Weren't the Interns a team from the 60s? I remember Lawler mentioning them in his book. I guess Memphis brought the gimmick back?
Sorry By-Tor just saw this.....

On Mil Mascaras, I honestly always thought it was the real one, although I knew something was fishy. The guy did a stretcher job. Mil Mascaras does not do stretcher jobs. :lmao I do remember that angle very well where Lawler wrestled the top contenders he wrestled: Dick The Brusier, Bobo Brazil, Mr Wrestling 2, Terry Funk, and then Brisco. He did the same gimmick once the Mid-Southern area split and moved HQ to Memphis (allot of people forget before 78 Nashville was the HQ).

The Brusie Brothers were a trio of wrestlers. Originally it was Troy Graham (The Dream Machine), and long time territory wrerstler journeyman Porkchop Cash. The other guy who joined was Mad Dog Boyd. They fueded with the Fabs and then turned face once Graham quit and Boyd joined. Yes the Harris brothers were much later, and known as Ron and Don in Memphis.

The Interns were originally a gimmcik used in the old Mid American company in Nashville. They were managed by Dr. Ken Ramey. They were easily the most successful version of the gimmick and traveled around the States. The 80's version was yet another horrid Memphis combination of Roger Smith and Sam Bass who also worked as many other tag teams (Fire and Flame, Assasins, A-Team) The original Interns were Billy Garrett & Tom Andrews.

Thanks for asking I love these questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts