Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WWE tends to have an ignorant attitude towards other federation's World Titles, never mentioning the TNA title reigns of guys like Christian, or title reigns in places like ROH for CM Punk, Kaval and Daniel Bryan. I was wondering is there any shining examples of guys who've won a whole load of world titles or heavyweight titles like Ric Flair's often mentioned 18-times in promotions like ROH or NWA? In particular, is there maybe people who've won world titles or heavyweight titles in a considerable number of different promotions?

Obviously, if we included TNA World Heavyweight Champions, you'd have a raft of obvious people like Sting and Kevin Nash in line, but is there ones which are lesser known who have maybe won 10 or 15 World Titles in numerous federations with main titles which are less-established or simply not regarded as very important? It would be quite wonderful if there was an NXT contender who was secretly a 10/11/12-time World Champion in federations like CZW or the World Wrestling Council.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
It's not about being "ignorant". WWE has been around for over 50 years. ROH and TNA haven't even made it to a decade. WWE is the only major promotion in North America. That is why they only consider their own championships as "official" World Championships.

·
women sense my power and they seek the life essenc
11,657 Posts
It's not about being "ignorant". WWE has been around for over 50 years. ROH and TNA haven't even made it to a decade. WWE is the only major promotion in North America. That is why they only consider their own championships as "official" World Championships.

There's plenty of titles WWE doesn't recognize that aren't just TNA and ROH, ones that have been around way longer than 10 years. Even more if you count outside the US. They basically only recognize the titles of the promotions in their video library.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
There's plenty of titles WWE doesn't recognize that aren't just TNA and ROH, ones that have been around way longer than 10 years. Even more if you count outside the US. They basically only recognize the titles of the promotions in their video library.
I know that, I just used TNA/ROH because the OP mentioned them. I wouldn't necessarily say that they only recognize the ones that they own, though. Why would the American audience care if a guy held a title in Japan or, I don't know, Italy?

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,907 Posts
CMLL says no. Mexico is still in North America.

But what WCW said. WWE likes to pretend only their product matters/people like HHH are all time greats because its intellegent self promotion and manipulation which is basically the entire point of pro wrestling. It might make someone want to watch TNA if WWE started promoting Christain as former TNA champion which is a business no-no.

·
women sense my power and they seek the life essenc
11,657 Posts
I know that, I just used TNA/ROH because the OP mentioned them. I wouldn't necessarily say that they only recognize the ones that they own, though. Why would the American audience care if a guy held a title in Japan or, I don't know, Italy?
Christian won the NWA title in TNA. That's a pretty big one that they don't recognize anymore.

WCW used to mention when guys were former New Japan champions or whatever, and I always thought it was pretty cool. It wasn't anything major but it helped make a wrestler seem important before he stepped into the ring, esp when he looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTqqJvM8cqA#t=56s

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
CMLL says no. Mexico is still in North America.
fpalm Wow. What was I thinking? Lol. My bad.

Christian won the NWA title in TNA. That's a pretty big one that they don't recognize anymore.
WWE hasn't recognized the NWA since the mid-90s. Therefore, that doesn't surprise me, as the NWA is no longer a major promotion, but a group of mediocre independents.

WCW used to mention when guys were former New Japan champions or whatever, and I always thought it was pretty cool. It wasn't anything major but it helped make a wrestler seem important before he stepped into the ring, esp when he looked like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTqqJvM8cqA#t=56s
WCW was associated with promotions all over the world. That was one of the things that gave them the advantage over the WWF: different styles. While Hogan was slugging it out with Warrior and Slaughter, Jushin Liger and Brian Pillman were putting on clinics in the lucha-libre style rarely seen in the United States. When Rey Misterio, Jr., Psychosis, Ultimo Dragon, Juventud Guerrera, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Konnan, and countless others came through the company, they were representing organizations from Mexico to Europe to Japan. The championships were a way of showing the viewers that these guys that they had never seen before were legitimate, as they were champions in their own company.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Well, Christian is 4 time world champion, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jon Moxley, i think he held 5 or 4 world titles at the same time this year
My pick as well. My guess is a lot of TNA and ROH fans have at least heard of FIP and CZW, and he is current world champ of both of them. And he is young, so I imagine he will get more titles in more indy promotions.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I think WWE,TNA,ROH and NWA World titles is all that matters.

WWE for obvious reasons.

TNA, because they are the second most visible promotion on the planet. They might suck and the title might not have any prestige but everyone knows who is the World champion in TNA including WWE.

ROH, because they are the biggest indy in the world next to Dragon Gate. By them establishing relationships over the years and touring oversea's. I consider their World title to be a World title because they are visible and if you win their World title you are the "King of the Indies".

NWA, I hate how people say the title was important 30 years ago but not important today. A World title CANNOT lose prestige especially the NWA World title. The title is still defended all over the World from Japan,Mexico,Australia, Europe,etc. It is still a honor to win the title.

Japan and Mexico big promotions never consider their titles "World" titles except CMLL who just start doing it this year.

·
I like the wrestling parts best!
701 Posts
NWA, I hate how people say the title was important 30 years ago but not important today. A World title CANNOT lose prestige especially the NWA World title. The title is still defended all over the World from Japan,Mexico,Australia, Europe,etc. It is still a honor to win the title.
Yes but you are forgetting an unwritten rule of world titles......

- If you are a world title and you are won by Ron Killings you are no longer a world title.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
A title's prestige is dependent on the caliber of competition it is defended against. Therefore, if a title was formerly defended against the best wrestlers in the world, but now is defended against indy wrestlers who even indy fans aren't familiar with, it has lost a significant amount of prestige.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,268 Posts
I don't know why WWE doesn't mention that guys have held lesser titles all over the world. Wouldn't it be better for viewing WWE as the best wrestling company in the world if they could brag about how they only go after the best of the best from around the world. Like what they did/are doing with Danielson and Kaval. They talk about how they wrestled all over the world and in a bunch of smaller companies and had to work their way up. To me that's a lot more impressive than someone just appearing out of the blue with no apparent background and being dominant.

WWE can't possibly convince their fans that they are the only wrestling company out there but they can convince people they are the biggest, best, and most important. Use someone's background like you would with a real athlete. You know talk about the amazing college and high school careers of star rookie backetball player, I don't say why WWE doesn't do the same with their guys other than Danielson and Kaval.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Brian "Grand Master Sexay" Lawler is a 25 time USWA Heavyweight Champion. No joke. Memphis Wrestling Southern Heavyweight Championship, New South Heavyweight Championship, etc.

What about his dad, Jerry the King Lawler? 52-time AWA Southern Heavyweight Champion, AWA World Heavyweight Champion, CWA Heavyweight Champion, 3x NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Champion...in fact, here just read this. He's won like a thousand titles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lawler#Championships_and_accomplishments

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Brian "Grand Master Sexay" Lawler is a 25 time USWA Heavyweight Champion. No joke. Memphis Wrestling Southern Heavyweight Championship, New South Heavyweight Championship, etc.

What about his dad, Jerry the King Lawler? 52-time AWA Southern Heavyweight Champion, AWA World Heavyweight Champion, CWA Heavyweight Champion, 3x NWA Mid-America Heavyweight Champion...in fact, here just read this. He's won like a thousand titles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Lawler#Championships_and_accomplishments
The AWA Southern Heavyweight Championship list of holders is one of the most entertaining things I've ever read.

Personal highlight: Jerry 'The King' Lawler being stripped of the title for not defending within 30 days, and a tournament being held to crown the winner and new champion, Jerry 'The King' Lawler.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
The wrestlers themselves don't feel special carrying around some $10 cloth title belt, if they don't hold it in high esteem then why the fuck should WWE?

Hey did you know X was a former IWA-MS world champ?

YEAH, WHO GIVES A FUCK?

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
A title's prestige is dependent on the caliber of competition it is defended against. Therefore, if a title was formerly defended against the best wrestlers in the world, but now is defended against indy wrestlers who even indy fans aren't familiar with, it has lost a significant amount of prestige.
Assuming you talking about the NWA World title, well in the past 3 years everybody from Angle to Christian to Bryan Danielson to Blue Demon has been in NWA World title matches.

Ron Killings is more popular than anyone on the indy scene. Pretty good wrestler and is OVER everywhere he goes from TNA to AAA to WWE.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts