Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they're not part of the same industry, but still. The UFC make less revenue and have a smaller fanbase by comparison, however they nearly always make a bigger profit than WWE does regardless. Their biggest PPV numbers triumph WWE's. Their biggest stars are bigger draws and more relevant than WWE's. They just signed an extremely lucrative deal of their own earlier this year - 1.5 billion for the next five years to be aired on ESPN.

Just look at the double main event of WrestleMania this year - Brock Lesnar and Ronda Rousey, ex-UFC stars, played major roles. I know Brock was a WWE star before he went to the UFC back in the day, but still. he was an average/below average draw in his first stint; It was his career in UFC that made him a big deal. His character and his whole ring attire since coming back mirrors his UFC self. Paul Heyman even does his best Bruce Buffer impression when announcing Lesnar.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Yes. Despite its problems post going public, it is still a better run company without any identity crisis. You can at least watch the product and not feel horrible at the end. WWE on the other hand is very difficult to watch for more than 5 minutes. Even the WrestleManias have been pretty mediocre.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Title? Yes, absolutey. One is a legitimate place that blocks steroids and the other allows steroids if they like you enough.

Is this a serious post?
Ronda was a fucking Olympist and is something unique.
Brock could do a shootingstar press. He was also something near unique in wrestling business.
I wouldn't call him something amazing in UFC either, he won 5 and lost 3.
The reason he has a UFC themed gimmick? Same reason Frank Shamrock had one or Steve Blackman had his karate gimmick or why Ronda likes to judo flip people.
When he came back it was very UFC themed and now? Now it's "suplex city bitch, F-5 city bitch".

And uh, Ronda's match was in the middle of the card. If you want to say "double main event" then that would be Bruan and his amazing partner, Nicholas since that was the match before the main event though to be fair, the "second" main event (that's not a fucking thing btw) would be the AJ match.

So, Brock has two things that makes him an MMA gimmick: his ring gear and Heyman.
What's Ronda got from MMA? Her habit of adjusting her shorts so they don't ride up all the time?

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I don't even really consider them particularly related if I'm honest. I have zero interest in MMA. I think the biggest problem is that WWE and a large portion of their fans do consider UFC to be superior which leads to MMA stars being booked to destroy wrestlers even if said stars don't have almost any of the tools required to be a top-flight pro wrestler (not talking Brock obvs.)

·
Banned
454 Posts
Vastly superior, in my eyes.

There's something about a true sport (like MMA and football, both of which I'm a huge fan of) that can never be simulated in pro wrestling. That sense of sheer unpredictability. In MMA, for example, there are many more sources of uncertainty than pro wrestling - who will win, when will the fight finish, how will it finish (decision, submission, TKO, KO?) Wrestling seems to follow a very strict formula that doesn't often allow for those "holy shit" moments - not to the level that a true sport does, anyway.

I also love the analysis that goes into trying to predict the outcome of an actual sport. Trying to analyze the match ups between two fighters, or two football teams with a ton of moving parts, can be interesting.

Additionally, MMA seems to be doing much better on the showmanship side of things as well, which is something that pro wrestling should be excelling in (and indeed did, during the Attitude Era.)

·
JANUARY 5TH
3,927 Posts
Globally WWE's reach is far superior. In terms of value, UFC has been bought for $4 billion which was right after the perfect storm of McGregor and tail end of Rousey, for many the money was way more than expected. According to some quick research, WWE's current value is around $6 billion. Considering everything (deals, licensing, merchandising etc), if WWE were sold today, it would go higher than UFC.

this link is also interesting to look at as it compares the cool and hot UFC to WWE that is on a ''decline''

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/17/17401720/ufc-financially-secure-until-2023-with-espn-deal-but-there-are-brand-risks

But in some ways, the number was disappointing. No, the $400 million annual figure for television rights that was talked about for this next deal when Endeavor purchased UFC in 2016 was not really expected. Insiders has always talked about a figure of $250 million to $300 million as a more realistic number, which they hit the upper end of. But the figure came across less impressive because World Wrestling Entertainment, negotiating a new deal at the same time, garnered headlines the same week by hitting the real jackpot with a $445 million+ deal that also gives the company weekly prime time exposure on the FOX network.

While there was a nine-month difference when the respective deals expired, with UFC negotiating for this coming January, and WWE for October 2019, the belief going in was that both properties — who were getting a similar $160 million for U.S. television rights — would probably get a similar number with its new deal. Many felt that the UFC’s new deal, since it expired first, would provide the range of what WWE could later receive. Yet, two years ago, even with WWE’s higher television ratings, the feeling was that their lower ad rates and worse demographics, as well as significant ratings declines, would mean the UFC — on fire at the time as a company — would be the hot property of the 2018 season.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Title? Yes, absolutey. One is a legitimate place that blocks steroids and the other allows steroids if they like you enough.

Is this a serious post?
Ronda was a fucking Olympist and is something unique.
Brock could do a shootingstar press. He was also something near unique in wrestling business.
I wouldn't call him something amazing in UFC either, he won 5 and lost 3.
The reason he has a UFC themed gimmick? Same reason Frank Shamrock had one or Steve Blackman had his karate gimmick or why Ronda likes to judo flip people.
When he came back it was very UFC themed and now? Now it's "suplex city bitch, F-5 city bitch".

And uh, Ronda's match was in the middle of the card. If you want to say "double main event" then that would be Bruan and his amazing partner, Nicholas since that was the match before the main event though to be fair, the "second" main event (that's not a fucking thing btw) would be the AJ match.

So, Brock has two things that makes him an MMA gimmick: his ring gear and Heyman.
What's Ronda got from MMA? Her habit of adjusting her shorts so they don't ride up all the time?
lol Card placement has little to do with whether you're the true main event or not. The mixed tag with Ronda was the biggest match on the show alongside Lesnar vs Reigns - Hell, it was bigger than that match and the true main event of the show if we're being honest.

HHH vs Taker at WM28 was also put in the middle of the card, but we know it was the second most anticipated match of the night after Rock/Cena.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Yes. There are promotions that run most online that I think are better. The only thing WWE has over anyone else is size and scope.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It's not even close, and I don't say that as a fan of MMA. Dana White knows business better than stupid ass Vince McMahon.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
lol Card placement has little to do with whether you're the true main event or not. The mixed tag with Ronda was the biggest match on the show alongside Lesnar vs Reigns - Hell, it was bigger than that match and the true main event of the show if we're being honest.

HHH vs Taker at WM28 was also put in the middle of the card, but we know it was the second most anticipated match of the night after Rock/Cena.
Right so just skip over the rest of the post tearing yours apart.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right so just skip over the rest of the post tearing yours apart.
Everything else you said was irrelevant lol. The point I made was that Brock and Ronda brought over their aura and popularity from their time in MMA with them when they came to WWE.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Since the mid 00s or so, yeah pretty much. Once the WWE went PG that really decided it for me. I think the UFC stole a lot of the WWEs male demographic in those days as it had a lot of crossover appeal. It tells you something that for most of the 21st century Wrestling Observers promotion of the year award has gone to an MMA organisation too.

That said, the Brock thing is a little unfair I think op. A large part of his drawing power in the UFC initially came from his previous WWE fame. Everybody is going to draw more in the UFC than the WWE though, because its a real fight. Austin/Rock PPVs at the height of the AE would rarely come close to breaking a million buys, they would have done that easily if they'd gone to the UFC.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,008 Posts
I find the existence of pro wrestlers having MMA fighter gimmicks no more revealing than the existence of pro wrestlers having hockey player gimmicks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts