Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
PUSH BIG E
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't have much to say without linking other rumors, threads, and what's currently going on in forums.

My biggest problem is: I don't think they have a direction and even the crowd is confused.

One second, we're having him end the Undertaker's streak and being heely about it.

Then we're supposed to be cheering him against Braun.

He was never really ideally over with the fans. So what's the idea with him? Is their idea working? I feel like they want another Cena but Cena was over organically before shoved into the audience's face. Reigns isn't getting that Cena reaction. And with the recent rumor of him taking the title off Lesnar?

I guess. It just seems like a really bad plan.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
No shit he is isn't working. He is coming out to parade of boos despite:

- They retire Bryan to keep heat off him
- The Rock raising his hand after he wins the Rumble
- Heyman equating him to or greater than Austin, Hogan, Rock
- They align him with white hot babyfaces like Dean
- McMahon himself feuds with him
- Triple H puts him over
- He retires the Undertaker
- The company lies outside of kayfabe by saying he is a heel presented in a different manner, yet the commentary and booking are 100% babyface moves
- A heel Braun destroys him. Braun subsequently gets cheered in his program with Roman

John Cena's "free agent" gimmick is a band-aid to the bullet hole caused by Vince pulling the trigger on this unmerited Roman push. Ratings are abysmal with Roman as the centripetal figure.

Roman Reigns is a failure for WWE. He is a success for Vince trolling his audience and people leaving the product in droves.

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
Nobody is confused about anything. The real over people carry the feuds and titles on their shoulders for the majority of the year, and in pivotal moments like Summerslam or Wrestlemania, Roman Reigns swoops in to collect the not so hard earned goods.
Then they take the title off him, they do another experiment, rinse, repeat.

No shit it ain't working.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
I think at this point they've conceded to the fact that he's never going to get universal approval. They seem to be treating him like Lesnar these days, as a legitimate tweener rather than a heel or face, which may very well be the best course of action.

·
Registered
976 Posts
he clearly isnt working as the main baby face of the company.

he isnt even getting mixed reactions its mostly hate n unlike Cena who was an enduring cookie cutter character who was a pure whitemeat babyface from 06 onwards. Reigns is just someone who comes out cuts heelish promos yet the announcers still portray him as a babyface.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Banned
617 Posts
Let me ask you this question, if you were a wrestling promoter, who would yo put in the front of the company? Reigns, or anybody else in the roster?

Roman Reigns:
-Gets the biggest reaction even when the crowd is dead
-Is a top Merch seller
-Can draw attention from both smarks and casuals
-Nuclear heat from smarks and mixed reactions on very casual crowds (Lets go
Roman, Roman sucks chants)
-Createst the highest interest in the media (Google, twitter trends, youtube views, etc)
-His shows always sell well
-Kids and woman love him

Putin all this shit together makes him a TOP HEEL AND A TOP FACE at the same fucking time.

He is not only working, HE IS FUCKING PERFECT, Vince's or any other promoter wet dream.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
He's the top heel. If you measure him based on how good he is as a heel, he'd be one of the best heels of this era. I really just think this constant pushing as face of the company thing is just a work by WWE to ensure people keep booing Reigns. The more people think WWE want people to cheer for him, the more they will boo. And the crowd isn't really confused, theres a clear line between Reigns fans and detractors and they are often loyal to what they are doing. I doubt theres a lot of people actually confused at whether they should boo or cheer. Its been 3 years, they've probably chosen a side by now.

Edit:Hey, its my thousand'th post.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Roman has a very unique fan base. Many of the fans he does have rabidly defend him. I think this is why we're seeing him pushed the way he is. Purposely pissing off half of the audience, because the louder they get, the louder his fans get. I don't feel like we see that with other wrestlers. It's a strange dynamic but I guess somehow it's making them money. Whether boos or cheers, Roman by far gets the loudest reaction at shows. I posted a video from a house show on Twitter and the hardcore Roman supporters came out of the woodwork to tear apart any notion of boos. This legion of fans actively scouring Twitter for any mention of the guy. So what the WWE is doing is working. Gone are the days of true faces and true heels, the WWE realizes this, so they actually seem to be pitting the fans on each side against each other.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
These heel comments need to go fans and Vince live in lala land thinking a any reaction is good. Vince is at this point strutting down to the ring and taking a big crap in the middle of the ring and telling fans to deal with it ..he knows hes not liked and still pushed they think just because he gets go away heat its a good thing. They are damn lucky there is no proper competition Roman would not fly in the Monday night wars..bottom line just give up on them changing anything Roman will be the top dawg and probably will Main even WM a few more years in a row ..he will break any record they can give him he will win the rumble 4-5 times twice in a row probably..hell they might bring back king of the ring to give to him

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
He acts like a piece of crap heel but is booked as a face. He's meant to troll the hardcore fans while simultaneously selling to casuals but unfortunately he's really not pulling good numbers from either crowd.

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
I mean you would've figured out by now from the past few years of fan reactions that this shit ain't workin :bosque

·
Banned
6,708 Posts
His current and past booking have been a huge failure in my opinion. They and he should be happy that Roman has the look. Reigns could potentially be a future name in this business. Their direction has been totally wrong especially since the break up of the Shield.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,494 Posts
No matter how many shit on him and boo him out the building, they clearly don't care too much and will tweak his character to suit this and themselves. You've got HHH coming out and saying "Oh he's already a heel isn't he because people boo him".

It seems they've (Vince) have found an easy way out, for them, and will continue to book him this way.

With ratings how they are, I wonder if there is a point where enough is enough, but I can't see that happening any time soon tbh.

·
Banned
5,081 Posts
The idea with Roman is they know the inorganic push has damaged him permanently, so loosely the plan is "get him booed everywhere by continuing to push him in a way we know the fans who resent him will keep resenting". Keep him sort of baby face, keep giving him the god booking and keep him at the top until Vince finds someone new he thinks is better than Roman who he can also destroy.

The reality is that without Vince around, Seth Finn and Roman and Dean and ALL these super talented guys could probably ALL be big stars.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
It's working for them. What they say they want for him is to get the biggest reactions on the show, good or bad, which he gets. So it's working as far as what they've said they want to achieve. Thus, the plan will go full speed ahead, and Reigns WILL win the world title, either Summerslam or Mania.

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
It's working for them. What they say they want for him is to get the biggest reactions on the show, good or bad, which he gets. So it's working as far as what they've said they want to achieve. Thus, the plan will go full speed ahead, and Reigns WILL win the world title, either Summerslam or Mania.

Thing is, those reactions aren't based on his character like a good character would have, its "Go Away" heat

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Thing is, those reactions aren't based on his character like a good character would have, its "Go Away" heat
I'm just saying that from what they have told us, putting speculation and conspiracy theories to the side, "any reaction is a good reaction" which alludes to the fact that they want loud reactions for him, he gets the loudest reactions, hence, to them (and I stress) from what THEY have told us. It's working. Hence, why he will main event Mania once again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.