Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear so many internet fans say you can't do a dream match like Sting/Taker because it does nothing for the future of the company. I hear fans complain saying you have to market WM with up and coming stars. To me that is an overrated statement. Young up and coming stars is something the majority of fans may want in wrestling, but WWE is all about viewing the company from their perspective not the fans perspective. And if you were in WWE's shoes, the only way you will ever make the kind of money you like is putting together high drawing matches at the greatest PPV of the year. That's why if you put a match the quality of Bryan vs. Punk together, it will appease the IWC fans that enjoy high quality in ring action, but WWE in general will lose money because it doesn't have the marketable appeal that a Sting/Taker match has. And let's face it, the stars that can draw in lots of money are once in a lifetime. You just have to look to all the other sports to figure this out. In basketball how many Michael Jordan's are there? In football how many Tom Brady's are there? In baseball how many Babe Ruth's are there. It's no different with wrestling. Even if a young and up and coming wrestler was great by in ring quality standards, he'll never reach the drawing power that stars of the past will. And that's essentially all you need to know, because WWE is a business that is ALL about the money. If a match, regardless of the quality, brings in a lot of buys, I can assure you WWE will nip at it. So that's why when the typical IWC fan argues OMG a match between Hogan and Cena would be the crummiest match ever, well it doesn't really matter what the typical IWC fan thinks of it in terms of quality, it's all about Vince's way of knowing that it will ring in the money and make the rich even richer. I'm not advocating at all that young stars shouldn't be pushed or that Hogan/Cena should happen, but complaining about a match being stinky for in ring quality is discounting WWE's whole purpose of doing a Hogan/Cena match in the first place and that is to draw money. As long as it draws money, and I assure you it will, fans will buy it.

·
I clearly felt the tap
4,488 Posts
While something like Reigns/Taker would be best for the future, my inner mark would prefer to see the likes of Sting/Taker, Brock/Taker or Rock/Taker. I realise you're not talking solely about Taker here, but the Streak match is arguably the biggest match on any given year.

·
CONCERNED THIRD PARTY
1,323 Posts
I hear so many internet fans say you can't do a dream match like Sting/Taker because it does nothing for the future of the company. I hear fans complain saying you have to market WM with up and coming stars. To me that is an overrated statement. Young up and coming stars is something the majority of fans may want in wrestling, but WWE is all about viewing the company from their perspective not the fans perspective. And if you were in WWE's shoes, the only way you will ever make the kind of money you like is putting together high drawing matches at the greatest PPV of the year.

That's why if you put a match the quality of Bryan vs. Punk together, it will appease the IWC fans that enjoy high quality in ring action, but WWE in general will lose money because it doesn't have the marketable appeal that a Sting/Taker match has. And let's face it, the stars that can draw in lots of money are once in a lifetime. You just have to look to all the other sports to figure this out.

In basketball how many Michael Jordan's are there? In football how many Tom Brady's are there? In baseball how many Babe Ruth's are there. It's no different with wrestling. Even if a young and up and coming wrestler was great by in ring quality standards, he'll never reach the drawing power that stars of the past will. And that's essentially all you need to know, because WWE is a business that is ALL about the money. If a match, regardless of the quality, brings in a lot of buys, I can assure you WWE will nip at it.

So that's why when the typical IWC fan argues OMG a match between Hogan and Cena would be the crummiest match ever, well it doesn't really matter what the typical IWC fan thinks of it in terms of quality, it's all about Vince's way of knowing that it will ring in the money and make the rich even richer.

I'm not advocating at all that young stars shouldn't be pushed or that Hogan/Cena should happen, but complaining about a match being stinky for in ring quality is discounting WWE's whole purpose of doing a Hogan/Cena match in the first place and that is to draw money. As long as it draws money, and I assure you it will, fans will buy it.
Just making it readable.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts
Yeah, I don't care about some young schlub benefitting from a push. I care about what's interesting and entertaining first and foremost, if a young guy can get a push from that then fine. But fuck no, I'm not just gonna accept Reigns/Taker or Punk/Bryan over Cena/Taker or Brock/Cena.

Wrestlemania 30, especially, is a milestone Wrestlemania and it's not at all about pushing new talent. It's about the highest possible level of entertainment first and foremost and the people who should get priority for that opportunity are the people who have played a principal role in reaching that milestone. The most sustained and successful guys of the last few years ie Cena. He could work a program with Orton, Bryan or Punk and hopefully it's the Undertaker, but leaving him out of the main event would be dumb. You don't do that to the face of your brand on a milestone show just to push new talent.

So yeah, that's my piece. As a fan, it goes Entertainment Value first, Pushing new talent after that.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
No, people complain (or at least I complain) about matches with no storyline relevance. Case in point HHH-Lesnar. Yeah, they tried to build a storyline around it but the the truth is that it's just two part time guys and after the match is over they'll both be gone. There's no relevance to anything and no implications for the product. It's impossible to get invested in matches like that.

Compare it with Punk vs Lesnar, where the whole thing was based around Punk and Heyman's relationship, a feud that was a logical conclusion of something we'd been seeing on TV for a year, and one that continued afterwards and led to character progression and storyline implications for a number of parties. That's an example of part-timers being used right. But I have no interest in seeing names from the past come in, wrestle a pointless match and then go away again. That's just a waste of time and deprives the full-time roster of their chance to shine.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
It's not a necessity to put the up and comers in the main event. The Shield is the most recent and greatest example of a legitimately decent build up. It's not great... at least, it isn't great yet, because they haven't showed many signs of dismay and a possible implosion, and they haven't been around long enough.

They've been booked fantastically. Winning matches when they needed to, and losing them only months later when they were so well booked they were considered the best team in WWE in years, and they still are.

Granted, it seems like WWE is going to pull the plug on the Shield a bit prematurely to try and push Roman into the spotlight, which I hope they don't do too soon because he's clearly learning from Rollins and Ambrose (and other trainers of course) daily, and putting him into that position when he's still got a ways to go is a bit silly and might ruin his chance.

All in all though, not many guys get pushed directly into the spotlight. God knows why Del Rio was. Sheamus was thrown into the spotlight because he was a new guy and was believably strong, but he was never booked as strong as Del Rio is right now. ADR was likely just pushed either because of his heritage, or because WWE panicked when Mysterio continued getting injured, and they wanted to cement a top latino guy or something.

So far Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns have had a very slow and promising build from the mid card to the upper mid card, and they have shown time and time again that as a team they work so well together that they're main event players.

Cody could have been put in a Randy Orton situation like three years ago where he won the world title at a stupidly young age, but thankfully they haven't went down that path.

·
KO
5,741 Posts
Yeah, I don't care about some young schlub benefitting from a push. I care about what's interesting and entertaining first and foremost
That's all good, but with thinking like that, you'll have shit all to be excited about in five years. I understand that you want to have fun now rather than build the future, but why not have both? Don't tell me you'd have more fun with Sting/Taker than Bryan/Punk. Sure, the former might be more epic, but the match would probably be a bust, more or less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts