Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question guys - do you think the NXT crowd is problematic at all?

I think NXT has the best non-WrestleMania season crowd I've ever seen, but I do wonder if the way they respond to everything is a good way to judge a performers ability to captivate the crowd.

It's no secret at all that the NXT audience are very rowdy and genuinely appreciate almost all of the talent on the show - so much so that cheers and such are given to literally 9/10ths of the roster.

The only few that get booed (ie Bo Dallas) are getting "X-Pac heat", as in, no one even wants them there - or the ones that get almost complete silence (ie CJ Parker) are very underwhelming and don't deserve the position.

So do you think that the NXT crowd - accepting of just about everyone (I mean, Mojo was really really average the other week in his debut match and he got chants. He didn't even live up to his gimmick :lol) - are maybe a bad way for performers or other fans to judge the success of a characters crowd work (especially heels)?

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
I'm pretty sure if the show was underwhelming, the crowd would give it that much in return. There was that one Corey match with a member of the ascension that got a dead reaction all the way through because it was boring as fuck.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Mojo has been working dark matches and house shows for months so most of the crowd probably already knew him. It's like when Enzo debuted to little reaction, and then the next week was over as hell because it was a different taping and the crowd had seen him at house shows. I don't know if the crowd is great for judging reactions on the main roster but IMO it's a pretty good indicator of whether something is working or not. All the people that they cheer for are really entertaining and will probably get over on the main roster one way or another, while others like Ascension, Ohno and Parker etc get little reaction or a negative reaction which shows that they still need work. TBH I think that's probably better for a developmental crowd than them booing heels and cheering faces or whatever - it lets the talent and creative team know where they need to improve, which is what NXT is all about.

·
Fire, walk with me
8,000 Posts
I wouldn't call it an issue. Cheering babyface Mojo on his debut seems like the smart thing for the crowd to do at least because why wouldn't they? If he fails to impress long term then sure. They can be a bit smarky at times but what crowd isn't really. They seem to know who to cheer and who to boo but they still have their opinions on guys. Plus for a crowd that sits through 4 hours of tapings at a time they seem to always be energetic which is more than can be said about some other crowds that sit through taped shows.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had no idea they did dark matches :$. I thought a debut match at NXT was basically the next step up from having 'proper' matches in front of trainers and stuff. Ah well.

What worries me about the cheering of Mojo is how the crowd just like guys for no reason. I'm not really saying that Mojo is a bad talent or anything, but from that one match he had, he looks weird, has a weird name, has an unfitting gimmick that is also weird, among a few other things.

To me, he was completely unimpressive (then again I don't really know his story or much information) and his gimmick is maybe the worst of the bunch.

So because they actually cheered him on a bit it made me wonder if they're really a good indicator of a performers readiness.

I'm still pretty confused on how I should feel about Bo though. I mean, he seems like sometimes he means to be really awkward and stupid and sometimes he fucks up. But he's the only guy that gets legitimate boos, I think. And because I'm confused I don't know if it's "X-Pac heat" or if it's actual old school booing-because-he's-the-heel kind of heat.

Anyway what I'm getting at is the crowd cheer good heels because they're good, and cheer good faces because they're good. I don't think cheering the bad guys for doing something bad (but admirable if you're a smark) is a good thing in developmental of all places. I understand the absolute silence with the NXT crowd is the worst thing of all though.

e: Wagg, Graves is shit that's why. :lol

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
No, they do NXT house shows every week and dark matches before every taping. Mojo had the dark match at about 4 or 5 tapings before he debuted so the crowd definitely know him, they weren't just randomly cheering for some new guy. I agree that he seemed to suck but I guess it's worth waiting to see what he can do.

Anyway, I don't think there's a problem with the NXT crowd cheering good heels. If they are good then they'll get over or at least be entertaining on the main roster and that's the most important thing. They don't need to sell PPVs on NXT so the crowd reactions don't really matter apart from to tell the creative team whether something is working or not. The only problem really is when guys like Leo Kruger end up getting cheers and it limits what they can do with him, but TBH that's more the booking team's fault for putting him against Bo.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
e: Wagg, Graves is shit that's why. :lol
Whether you think he's shit or not, wasn't my point. Even that smarky fun crowd knows when something isn't gonna get that exciting attention they always seem to give. And at other times when the match is exciting with that same person, they'll cheer and have fun.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I'm gonna say no for the sole fact of it being the ol mentality of how some promotions using crowd reactions to base who "lives & dies" in this biz. WWE tries to give CJ Parker a gimmick and a new role in the company - crowd craps all over it - and so far it appears he's gonna do nothing with it. Look at the other side of the fence with someone who the crowd appears to love like Zayn or Breeze, and so far their successes and praise hasn't stopped yet. WWE is putting large stock into the performers stance with their characters & I think a solid amount of what the crowd in Full Sail thinks too. Where as opposed to finding a guy and trying to force him down fans throats over and over as seen in the past with World Wrestling Entertainment.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
At least they don't edit out crowd reactions or add in fake reactions like WWE does with other taped shows

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't really think so. I haven't watched NXT ever since it went off TV. I suppose it was just right place right time as I saw the episode with the Cesaro/Zayn 2 out of 3 falls match and ever since then I have binge watched ever since it got re-packaged and I like almost everybody on the roster outside of Xavier Woods, The Ascension, and Corey Graves is hit and miss. Tbh, there are times I'd almost rather watch NXT than Raw or Smackdown.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
only thing I disagree with you on Oxi is Bo Dallas getting X-pac heat

since his return the boo's have become part of his shtick and the fans know it, he knows it and we know it :)
A bunch of people here are very against Bo so it wouldn't be surprising tbh.

Whether you think he's shit or not, wasn't my point. Even that smarky fun crowd knows when something isn't gonna get that exciting attention they always seem to give. And at other times when the match is exciting with that same person, they'll cheer and have fun.
That's such a dark spot though. Graves seems to have an alright following overall; if they didn't care for the match it's likely it's just because it was a very slow pace (I discussed this a bit in the sticky thread btw) and slow matches aren't very well received by fans of WWE - especially NXT, where a lot of the matches are medium to slightly fast paced - in comparison to the main roster matches.

I'm gonna say no for the sole fact of it being the ol mentality of how some promotions using crowd reactions to base who "lives & dies" in this biz. WWE tries to give CJ Parker a gimmick and a new role in the company - crowd craps all over it - and so far it appears he's gonna do nothing with it. Look at the other side of the fence with someone who the crowd appears to love like Zayn or Breeze, and so far their successes and praise hasn't stopped yet. WWE is putting large stock into the performers stance with their characters & I think a solid amount of what the crowd in Full Sail thinks too. Where as opposed to finding a guy and trying to force him down fans throats over and over as seen in the past with World Wrestling Entertainment.
Zayn is only over because of who he is though. His gimmick is literally John Cena, but by a very able and unique wrestler.

Breeze is a much better example.

Would you guys say a superstar in development (who hasn't worked in the indies for a long time) can really tell if they're doing good heel work when the crowd are cheering them on no matter what they do, though?

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Would you guys say a superstar in development (who hasn't worked in the indies for a long time) can really tell if they're doing good heel work when the crowd are cheering them on no matter what they do, though?
If people aren't booing them then it's not good heel work. Doesn't mean it's not entertaining, but someone like Tyler Breeze for example is unlikely to get booed on the main roster, because OTT characters and gimmicks aren't ever going to draw heat with modern crowds. Look at Fandango. If anything, the developmental talent should work on finding ways to get booed in NXT, the fact that the crowd don't cheer for 'good guys' and boo 'bad guys' is TBH reflective of WWE as a whole. If heels need to work harder or change things around to get booed then that isn't a bad thing, and if NXT is creating entertaining characters that the fans like then that also isn't a bad thing, regardless of whether they were initially supposed to be faces or not.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I think the crowd actually helps WWE more than it hurts them.

It shows WWE how much fans will actually care about these guys, if WWE puts effort into them. Right now guys like Breeze,Woods,Zayn among others are getting about 10 or so minutes of TV time whenever they're on NXT, if they were to go on the WWE roster, I'm sure they'd only be on TV for maybe 4-5 minutes a week(likely just on smackdown or main event), so it'll be much harder to tell how they connect with fans since nobody will really care about someone who is rarely on TV.

·
Premium Member
17,224 Posts
It's not problematic, no. You're right, they're overly loud and contributing. But it's a smaller crowd, students from that college, they're probably told to be overly loud, and I'm sure they realize it's the WWE's "training grounds" so they participate even more so to help out.

It would be a problem if WWE didn't realize this and as soon as someone gets over in NXT (which is like their 2nd show), the WWE debuts them on Raw thinking it would translate. That hasn't been the case.

Someone pointed out, a lot of these NXT guys go to dark matches or house shows and deal with real crowds (not TV however) so they should know the difference between the two as well.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Zayn is only over because of who he is though. His gimmick is literally John Cena, but by a very able and unique wrestler.

Breeze is a much better example.
I'm not gonna go out and say everyone knows all there is to know about Zayn from his Generico days; regardless of how popular he was prior to joining WWE. Point stands. Who expected him to be THAT loved immediately? Or if you compare him to a babyface that of John Cena, well, who's to say that character can't connect with fans if that guy comes off incredibly likable. I'm not going to let the Generico character be a cushion for masking any impressive successes Zayn has garnered from the NXT audience. That comes from him alone & not previous popularity. Besides being a fabulous wrestler, the ability to have fans react for him was his greatest asset.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
No such thing as X-Pac heat. Bo Dallas is an incredibly effective heel. You're smarking so hard you can't even tell you're being worked.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
Bo Dallas' heat isn't X-Pac heat. I don't even think X-Pac had X-Pac heat. Dallas uses that heat into his gimmick and it's working great. (Y)

And I think I like what the crowd does. I'd rather see them give a guy a chance than just shooting him down like the lame-ass WWE crowd does.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts