Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if by ending the brand split means having a more credible SD like it used to be, then by god do it. they way they treat Smackdown and their stars is sickening

Orton, Sheamus, Bryan, Henry, Christian, Big Show, Rhodes, Barrett, talent is stacked on SD

nothing of importance happens on SD anymore. much of what they do on SD is predictable. Since its taped its like they dont give a shit but it hasnt always been this way. I remember big time shows and main events happening on SD.

question in title, is SD inferior or is it made to be that way

i really hate it when people say its the B show, there never used to be A and B shows. Back in the day SD was arguable the same if not better at times than RAW.

·
Banned
6,530 Posts
maybe smackdown was at some points like in 03 and 09 better than raw but it still will always be the B show. or right now more like C show, NXT is hilarious right now :D

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Well Raw has always been the flagship show of the WWE, so it's no secret that big stuff usually happens there but Smackdown wasn't far behind. Smackdown really started going under(in terms of relevance/importance) after the discontinuation of ECW and post-Wrestlemania 26, with Swagger winning the World Title as a test run of sorts(much like the ECW Championship was supposed to be), followed by a string of perennial midcarders winning the belt.

Say what you will about Orton(and prior to him, Edge) winning the World Title but he's pretty much the only thing preventing the belt from becoming a full-fledged midcard belt, if it isn't already.

Right now Smackdown is looking a lot like ECW was supposed to be, hell it's even on the syfy channel. At one point they even had the pairing of Striker and Grisham as the commentators of Smackdown, which was ECW's post Styles/Tazz commentators and then it's 'Main Event' title match at Wrestlemania was just a squash that barely lasted a minute, again like ECW's was.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
We'll if they didnt burry DBryan Smackddown would be recieving between 3.0 and 4.0
D. Bry has been the best thing to come of SD in recent months. But still most of what they do on SD is hot and cold, they need to keep some kind of consistancy.

Something like, Lesnar should have returned to SD on the live show the other day. it would have been a mark out moment because Lesnar is back on HIS show, and he should have showed especially if he isn't going to be there next week. I really thought there was a possibility since it was live but, nope.

its like we will never see The Rock on SD again. Ever. Just something im going to have to get over i guess..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Raw was always considered the main show, but the difference in quality between SmackDown! and Raw is at its largest right now in my opinion. They don't have the starpower they had 5-10 years ago to support a brand extension, and since Raw is considered to be the main show, that's where the main guys usually end up. Unlike in 2003 where you had Angle, Big Show, Lesnar, Taker, Guerrero, Hogan, McMahon, Cena, Mysterio and more on SmackDown! , now there is Orton, Bryan, Barrett, Sheamus, Big Show, Rhodes, Henry and Christian and half those guys are on Raw every other week.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Purely build. If they focused on SD and didn't use 30% of it to get Raw angles over, I'd be all over the show. They have the talent, they have the conflicts (bar seamus atm), and they have tolerable announcers (cole focuses on booker more than burying talent). SD is worse only because those in charge of the money have control in it at some point.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
A lot of this has to do with the fact that Raw is in a network more accessible to fans, where as SD has not, always changing fucking stations, and even worse where people cant even get that network.

For the last years and my return to viewing wrestling, I have been more interested and fond of SD, xept maybe the last couple of months.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why must every thread end up being about Daniel Bryan?! Lol.

It's a shame that Smackdown is considered the B Show because it has the potential to be a lot better than it currently is. Firstly, I think the commentators on SD are better and more entertaining than on Raw (notably Booker T who cracks me up every week)secondly as most Friday night TV in the UK is pretty crap, SD has a decent timeslot or at least I find it better than Raw on a Monday night (though that is on at 2am so obviously has to be taped, but even if it were earlier it's still a Monday night, first working day of the week) and lastly, there are decent superstars on SD. Maybe the Draft would help if the distribution was fairer and the big names were spread more evenly across the shows. Raw becoming a Supershow hasn't exactly helped SD either to be fair.

If they focused on SD and didn't use 30% of it to get Raw angles over
This is definitely true. Good point. They waste too much time discussing the previous RAW and showing flashbacks.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I'll make it short and sweet my friend,

Raw

John Cena, Brock Lesnar, The Undertaker when around, Triple H, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Kane, Alberto Del Rio, The Miz, Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger and all are former WWE/World champions.

SmackDown

Randy Orton, Sheamus, The Big Show, Wade Barrett, Bryan Danielson, Christian, Cody Rhodes and Sin Cara with Damien Sandow and Dean Ambrose said to be joining the roster soon.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I also have no idea why one show has to be made better than the other. Why not build the brands equally good and treat them as equals?

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
We'll if they didnt burry DBryan Smackddown would be recieving between 3.0 and 4.0
Bryan is the top heel on Smackdown. This is burying?

To address the topic, Smackdown is completely irrelevant. Once you are placed on the Smackdown roster, you are no longer seen as a huge star by Vince. WWE isn't going to make Smackdown more relevant and the Raw SuperShow format provided WWE with another opportunity to not care about Smackdown.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Bryan is the top heel on Smackdown. This is burying?

To address the topic, Smackdown is completely irrelevant. Once you are placed on the Smackdown roster, you are no longer seen as a huge star by Vince. WWE isn't going to make Smackdown more relevant and the Raw SuperShow format provided WWE with another opportunity to not care about Smackdown.
Say what?

Top heels don't job like bitches in 18 seconds.

I see what you mean about Smackdown but I wouldn't necessarily say that everyone on the brand is an afterthought to Vince, he has his two man crushes Sheamus and Orton on there, but I would say if you're a Smackdown Superstar and you're not on the Raw Supershow than Vince doesn't give a shit about you.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Say what?

Top heels don't job like bitches in 18 seconds.
Bryan is still a focus on Smackdown, he's still booked strongly, and he's still in the main event scene. And yes, he's the top heel of Smackdown. What WWE decided built him up as a stronger heel as he has a reason to be vicious and hate AJ/the audience. It's good storytelling and one that will maintain Bryan as the top heel of Smackdown. He's not mistreated at all.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
It's all in the writing. Smackdown could be a compelling show. Even right now it has its moments.

I'm hoping that with the arrivals of a few new names and the likely dropping of guys who WWE's essentially given up on like Ezekiel Jackson, the show improves this summer.

Mark Henry also belongs on Smackdown, and he should be used in these last months of his career to put Sheamus over once and for all as a beast world champion. Give Orton some time off and Sheamus some space to keep enhancing his nascent drawing power.

Long-term, should Sin Cara return by around Summerslam or so, he could be pushed as the new Rey Mysterio on Smackdown.

Rebuilding and genuinely developing Alberto Del Rio on Smackdown would be a good idea, too.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I will always prefer Smackdown simply because I had UPN, but not cable when Smackdown debuted, so it was always the show I watched. That and the Smackdown Six, London and Kendrick, and now Daniel Bryan.

Having said that, man it's weak right now. Feels like half show is devoted to Raw. I hope they either end this brand extension or hurry up with that talent injection.

Talent injection. Rowr!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Also, Raw currently has a FAR superior midcard. Raw has Ziggler, Swagger, Santino, Clay, Truth, Miz, and Kofi. Smackdown's midcard has Cody, Khali, and I guess Hunico (although he's close to jobber territory).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts